7 (29.2%)
Moist Mid-Latitude (Cold Winter)
1 (4.2%)
Polar
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Predict

*Waves* Anyone there?

There has been very little (no) progress lately towards finding our location. We have had a number of locations suggested but it doesn't look like we know what we are looking for or how to evaluate each location, as such it moves slowly.

In the interest of finding a suitable location everyone is pleased with I've put up this poll, these are the Köppen climate zones. This a standard climate classification system and the zones cover a very broad range of climates each. We have conducted a poll of climate before but it was less than conclusive and was based on very general ideas.
I've included a (very) short summary of each zone, feel free to add anything you know.

This might seem like a step backwards but to give you an idea here is a map, each zone is one colour with different shades, you can see that if we decide on one we would narrow down the search drastically. If we can make a final decision on this and commit it will also show definite progress, something we're lacking at the moment. We will also ensure that as we progress with finding the location it is with everyone's support, it is vital we all agree where we will locate because we will face challenging conditions anywhere, it will be much harder if you feel you could have avoided this hardship if we located somewhere else but you didn't get a say.

Tropical Moist: Mean monthly temperatures exceed 18oC all year and the diurnal (daily) temperature range is usually 2-3oC. Annual precipitation exceeds 1500mm. This zone encompasses the rainforest, savanna, and grassland biomes. Hot, humid, wet. Can be monsoonal or yearly rainfall.

Dry: Evaporation and transpiration are greater than precipitation leading to very (surprise) dry climates. Encompasses the desert and steppe biomes. Very large diurnal temp. range, small annual. Minimal precipitation all year.    

Moist Mid-Latitude (Mild Winter): Warm, humid summers with mild winters. Most rainfall in winter. Encompasses humid subtropical and Mediterranean climates.

Moist Mid-Latitude (Cold Winter): Cool summers with severe, cold winters. Very large annual temperature range (40+oC)

Polar: Very (very) Cold.

Personally, I favour Tropical or Moist mid-latitude with mild winters.

Edit: New map

guest2859

Is there any clearer description of what each color means?

genesis

kaltxi

i'm new to this forum but i would like to point out something,
if the tribe goes to a Tropical or dry area there is a good chance there will
be parasites too (i.e. brain eating parasites)
so maybe we should research the different parasites found in that area
and found meds to stop or kill them.

Eywa ngahu

-gen
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Predict

Sorry about the colours, forgot to include that  ::).
I have updated with a simpler map.

Each of these zones/groups has a number of climate within, I was hoping deciding on a climate zone would allow us to make measurable progress but without committing to a specific climate, there is reasonable scope within each zone. It's also a common classification system, easy to see where it covers, as opposed to just say 'temperate' which could mean many things.

Genesis, that's a significant danger to consider but that's the idea of the discussion. Would you be able to do any research in that are(as you brought it up)? ;)

genesis

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on June 13, 2010, 05:20:07 AM
Sorry about the colours, forgot to include that  ::).
I have updated with a simpler map.

Each of these zones/groups has a number of climate within, I was hoping deciding on a climate zone would allow us to make measurable progress but without committing to a specific climate, there is reasonable scope within each zone. It's also a common classification system, easy to see where it covers, as opposed to just say 'temperate' which could mean many things.

Genesis, that's a significant danger to consider but that's the idea of the discussion. Would you be able to do any research in that are(as you brought it up)? ;)

of course ma Eylan, ;)

do you want me to research in just the Tropical and dry area if the map or
in all the areas (it might take awill thought)

-gen
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Eyamsiyu

I haven't had much participation within these forums, as I haven't really thought about really going to the tribe unless I cannot make it in the direction that I want to for my career (or simply, if I can't make drumming a career, I'll join the tribe).  However, since it is an option for me, I must make my choice on climate.  I choose Tropical Moist.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Predict

It's looking good so far, we have a strong majority for Tropical moist. There is also significant interest in Moist mid latitude and dry.
I think if we leave this up for a couple of weeks and if tropical remains a majority we could call that our official 'suitable region'. Wherever we chose within it everyone would be reasonably happy with.

@Genesis: Tropical is looking like the most popular so it would probably be best to cover only tropical diseases and parasites. It would be very helpful to know their distribution by country.  With any luck we should be able to avoid the more unpleasant ;D.

Edit: and dry

Nanaki

It's a really good map to start our research :)
And I agree, we have to search for the first three points (Tropical, Dry, and maybe Moist mid latitude)
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

genesis

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on June 14, 2010, 05:36:30 AM
It's looking good so far, we have a strong majority for Tropical moist. There is also significant interest in Moist mid latitude and dry.
I think if we leave this up for a couple of weeks and if tropical remains a majority we could call that our official 'suitable region'. Wherever we chose within it everyone would be reasonably happy with.

@Genesis: Tropical is looking like the most popular so it would probably be best to cover only tropical diseases and parasites. It would be very helpful to know their distribution by country.  With any luck we should be able to avoid the more unpleasant ;D.

Edit: and dry

http://www.healthhype.com/list-of-human-body-parasites-symptoms-pictures-2.html

i think this is a good website....there was a lot there so yeah, hope this helps
^_^ if not i'll keep looking

Tompa'Ivong

I favor Inland Semi Arid wooded region, like Central Texas, Austin region, plenty of resources, access to water by a creek or river.  You don't wanna live in a really humid region, or a desert, I was up in Marble Falls, TX (north of austin), and it was fairly pleasant around May, albeit around 90f, its not like what were getting down here, 90f weather with 95% humidity, and at night its even worse

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

Predict

Nice overview of the parasites you found Genesis, slightly disconcerting, but helpful ;D. Next we should identify the most significant (read deadly ;)) and work out a distribution by countries or regions, we may want to avoid some of the worst altogether.

I'd say we definitely want to consider the moist mid latitude areas, that includes the Mediterranean and similar areas and I remember they seemed popular a while back.

One thing I will say regarding the dry region is that the most vegetation we will be getting are shrubs and dispersed small trees, that might be a concern for those of us interested in forests.

Predict

As we have reached a significant (62%) majority in favour of a tropical climate and it appears all members now appreciate the inherent risks of such a climate I am asking whether we are able to commit to a tropical location?

We have established the climate most members will prefer, it is time to put it in writing and actively research only the tropics. It is a vast region but much smaller than the world, I am certain we can find a suitable location within it.

So yes or no: Do we accept the majority's opinion and focus our research soley in the tropical region?

guest2859

Quote from: Tompa'Ivong on June 14, 2010, 11:54:04 PM
I favor Inland Semi Arid wooded region, like Central Texas, Austin region, plenty of resources, access to water by a creek or river.  You don't wanna live in a really humid region, or a desert, I was up in Marble Falls, TX (north of austin), and it was fairly pleasant around May, albeit around 90f, its not like what were getting down here, 90f weather with 95% humidity, and at night its even worse

I've been to Marble Falls and Austin, I don't know much about Austin's resources, but where Marble Falls is, it would be hard to not find water.

Predict

Eana, in response to your "countries" thread. That is exactly what I hoped to avoid: researching every country in insufficient detail to make an informed decision, it is inefficient.

We have established a clear majority in favour of the tropics, do you not agree that we should now focus our research on those countries?

Tonbogiri

I agree that we should narrow down our search. I am happy to research the tropics/mid-latitudes - I shall be in contact with a land agent in the next few days in order to discuss the purchase of land, as well as any information they may have on the kind of land we were looking for. I shall restrict to only the above mentioned areas;
I believe I should mention the many benefits that woodland brings. Whilst not as great an effect as large bodies of water, forests do have an ability to regulate temperatures - mainly due to the fact that they act as effective windbreaks.
So, would we be after a more forested area? personally I would prefer a mix of forest and open scrubland.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Predict

Quote from: Tonbogiri on July 05, 2010, 04:57:39 PM
So, would we be after a more forested area? personally I would prefer a mix of forest and open scrubland.
Well, we know that we want a tropical location (with mid-latitude as a fallback). Now we have two choices: researching every country/region in the tropics (in short, then in depth on the most promising regions) or choosing a vegetation type and researching only regions that fulfill that requirement.

Personally, I am keen to decide on vegetation first so we can establish a clearer idea of what we want. What do you think?

I think it's safe to say at this point that the location will be in the tropics, if anyone is wondering we will definitely be somewhere here:  ;)

Really it's smaller than that, focus on the 70% of the land we won't be in.

Tonbogiri

Vegetation would be something I could discuss with the agent. For example, specifically for the tribe, we would need plants that are nutritious and can be eaten as well as possible medicinal properties. Also, we would want to avoid living in any areas where most of the trees are protected species - how would we build? ;)

PS. I am always partial to Northern Australia...

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Predict

I'll start a board for vegetation research, were obviously not ready to make the decision yet, we need to work on advantages/disadvantages at the moment. There is a good possibility to tie this in with research of existing tribes, they are probably the best indicator of what vegetation is suitable.

Northern Australia is a good example of a tropical climate with minimal diseases or parasites, one downside is that the rainforest is national park, big national park admittedly, but none the less not land you can buy hence more complex to acquire.

guest2859

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on July 05, 2010, 05:18:19 PM
Quote from: Tonbogiri on July 05, 2010, 04:57:39 PM
Well, we know that we want a tropical location (with mid-latitude as a fallback). Now we have two choices: researching every country/region in the tropics (in short, then in depth on the most promising regions) or choosing a vegetation type and researching only regions that fulfill that requirement.

Personally, I am keen to decide on vegetation first so we can establish a clearer idea of what we want. What do you think?

I think it's safe to say at this point that the location will be in the tropics, if anyone is wondering we will definitely be somewhere here:  ;)

Really it's smaller than that, focus on the 70% of the land we won't be in.

Actually I already started on a thread for research on EVERY country... Long story short, it should narrow our location information down by miles.

Tompa'Ivong

well, we also forget how temperate WA state and the canadian lands to the north are, they don't get really harsh winters, west of the cascades, that is, just beyond the pass it is like a temperate desert nearly year round

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith