Humid continential
13 (14.4%)
sub arctic
8 (8.9%)
high lands
24 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Teylar ateyo woritan

well what we should look for is a location that is private and is our. i would personally recommend a private island , expensive yes but perfect, we would have to do some serious fund raising. but i may have found a nice place. hear is the link http://www.privateislandsonline.com/mangunca-island.htm.

3,700 acre private island in the north-east cast of brazil looks nice but have a look around at other locations
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature

Predict

If only...

That one in New York isn't a bad price actually. We'd need too much land but you can pick up 30 acres for $300,000, I guess building costs would be astronomical.

Edit: I must be missing something, that: http://www.privateislandsonline.com/geraldo-island-brazil.htm is way too cheap.

Teylar ateyo woritan

That island you found the geraldo island looks perfect for what we are after covered in rainforest like pandora access to clean(ish) water, good access to fish, abundance of wild life, and it's massive, but we would probably have to bring some horses in to navigate the island to be honest if we could get the money we should buy it but check it out first.
On the cause for the low price i think it might be due to the fact it's a rainforest, no electricity, and the close proximity to another resort this makes it rather undersirable for development. Those points make ot bad for them but good for us what they don't want we want.

On the matter of funding if we get enough people to join our tribe maybe we could consider applying for sponsorship from the producers and the companies involved with avatar film, in return they would probably want us to do some promotional work for the avatar sequel

Predict

Well, if that's genuine that's fantastic. 720EUR is what 600,000 pounds. I could buy that, well not quite, hmm...Can we get a mortgage on an island.

Also about disease in Australia, there are cases of some tropical diseases but they are very rare and treatment is close at hand. It's nothing like South America. And once you go subtropical it's just zero. I've been bitten by hundreds (thousands?) of mosquitoes and it's all fine.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Looking at geraldo island from google earth is looks to be really really good for what we need, big beaches, a  river that leads into the centre of the island, Plenty of trees, I would imagine there would be am abundance of wild life and there is plenty of land by plenty I mean an f'ing huge amount of land my back gardens big and that's just under an acre and this island is 2,718 acres that's huge. I think if we had access to the money we should send a group if tribes men out to check the island to see if it is as good as it looks.

Tonbogiri

For an island of two thousand acres (!!) 600 000 is an extraordinary price. If I was a suspicious chap, I'd say there was some kind of catch, but if it is real then it would be awsome!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Predict

It does appear to be legitimate. 3000 acres is probably right on what we need (I wouldn't want that much less) if we are to live hunter gatherer so to speak, you need a low population density. At least as an island you can supplement it with fishing.

The problem I see is that it's in Brazil. First there's the risk of tropical disease (lessened as an island) and then immigration laws, they are about as tight as America. I can't believe that many people move to Brazil? ::)

Possibilities are: one of use (a citizen/permanent resident) start a registered charity in Brazil, get in on voluntary work visa (not quite that's what we'd be doing so less than entirely legit).
Investor visa, every member basically pays their way in, making this rather an exclusive club.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Great idea

Well to make it legit we would have to form a charity about saving the rainforest so if they check it legit

Esmond

Someone needs to research on the biological properties of islands. I believe islands are somewhat isolated in biological terms meaning they have their own ecosystem so having diseases on mainland Brazil might not translate to diseases on the island we're looking at.

Help preserve Nature.

Teylar ateyo woritan

True true very true, I do think, if we decide to consider purchasing geraldo or any other island or land that looks nice, that at least one member of use to go check out the flora and fauna of the location

Tsyal Maktoyu

That does seem like a fantastic value for an island like that. Definitely something to look into. Though it's location does raise a red flag for disease.

If we are talking about islands now, another place that would be good to look into is Oceania (especially south, closer to NZ). There's definitely plenty of them there to choose from, they all seem rather lush, and also aren't political hell holes.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Teylar ateyo woritan

True but prices are alot higher due to the fact that they are what developers are looking for a 640 acre island costs $6,000,000

Predict

Oceania is far more expensive. I wouldn't want to head as far south as NZ either, you'd be facing less predictable weather (probably, I mean the only place we could afford would be way out at sea) and be much further from any services. Damn these tropical diseases! ::)

Teylar ateyo woritan

Well I'd say to look at the diseases that will effect us and look at methods of Provention and how to implement them, for example malaria and sandfly bites we must all have fly nets in our housing were we sleep.

'Itan Atxur

Oceania has been brought up MANY times and never fully knocked down. It seems to be the one place we've disagreed on the least.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Teylar ateyo woritan

Tbh I'm really sold on geraldo island but I would concede there are serious decease problems but south america is pretty much the only place where we can get islands that are large with a low price in Oceania some 1 acre islands cost more than geraldo

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I can see three problems, disease, transport and lack of resources. On the mainland animals move around a lot, so if the population is reduced by a small group with bows and traps it will be replaced without causing damage. On an island once the population drops, it won't recover.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Ah if you look at geraldo island (suddent really be called an island) it is actually connected to the mainland by a fairly large span between 2 rivers so the animals can come in and out but it is still quite private

Predict

Transport is actually really good. It's 20 minutes from the shore by a boat service then 145km (80miles-ish) to Belem.

If we could supplement our diet with seafood then it may be practical. 3000 acres of tropical rainforest may be a reasonable area for no more than 20 people.

I don't think an island is likely but this example has convinced me that it can be a very practical solution. Also more remote islands (unfortunately more expensive) may reduce if not avoid the disease issue. The mainland is so much worse.

Tonbogiri

I feel that rather than purchasing land, our biggest problem is going to be immigration. Even if we set the tribe/eco-village as a business, there is a deal of work to go through - I just checked the many requirements for business/permanent visas to Brazil. For a start, we would certainly all need to "have a good knowledge of Portuguese"...

Research on this is coming soon, should be done by next Mon.

As for the island, it looks great.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...