Started by Predict, April 20, 2010, 01:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict

We are making real progress on location with the imminent Skype meeting but I felt it would help a lot if we outline our plan for research and the first meeting on this forum beforehand.
By this I mean we need to plan how we are going to research for and identify a suitable location so that we know exactly what issues to address.

Firstly, we need an order to follow. I suggest we identify favorable characteristics for the location (fully supported by research and polls) such as ideal climate, temperature range, rainfall &c. This must be absolutely fixed before we begin assessing locations on these parameters. Currently we are picking out random details and jumping in as far as countries without knowing as much as what climate we want.

Secondly, we need to compile any research. The sub-forums will help enormously but we have to ensure that we can easily find any information so that if we are discussing a topic we can all locate relevant details and avoid going over the same topic twice. This sort of planning isn't hard and there's no reason we can't get it done on the forum but it does need doing.

To put it simply we need to set out what we need to know and the order in which to find it out.  This way we know where we stand and when it comes time for a meeting we are all on the same page.

Nanaki

Okay, your thread is great.

Maybe we can make poll on Skype in live (with the chat), and by results, discuss on it (like in a jury), if 100% agree no discussion, if not 100% agree, we discuss on it and find a solution.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that the tribe is going better every day (on organization).
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

Predict

That's a very good idea when we're discussing things. What I'm hoping we can do is get a vague outline of what we need to find out. So we can identify what we need to research and discuss. And also define stages to the process.

I'm thinking first we need to decide on an ideal. We choose by posting research/talking(skyping?) and then a poll what are ideal situation would be. Best rainfall,  best temperature, best resources &c. Then match these as best as possible to a real location.

We don't need to do any research before the meeting but I think we should know what the characteristics will be.

Nanaki

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on April 20, 2010, 01:35:49 PM
We don't need to do any research before the meeting but I think we should know what the characteristics will be.

Yep, and then, we'll be able to make lists, and do research.
And in the poll, we can select many options, not the one who will have the most parts of votes. (eg. for the highest/lowest temp).
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

Predict

Exactly. And if we keep the polls until after we have researched all the characteristics and discussed them we know the outcome will be reliable and informed. The poll would act as a final stage to establish preference, after we have established what we need.

Obviously we would rule out some areas/climates/&c. beforehand, for example we don't need a vote to dismiss say, Antarctica :). And I'm sure there will be less extreme things as well.

Fnua Atxkxe

If you come up with any good research, you many be interested in this plan for the next podcast episode :D or at least I hope you are 0.o

Quote from: fnua atxkxe on April 20, 2010, 12:08:55 PM
Here is a sneaky preview of one of the things I would like to do, I would like two or more people to go away, research one location and we will have a live debate about it on air, the goal of this is not only to make a great listening experience but also to have the secondary effect of helping to speed up our location search, anyone who is willing to do this, please send me a pm, there are no plans to rush this so you will have plenty of time to prepare your arguments however you will not get to know the other person/s so you will not know what arguments they will put forward. This is all meant to be good fun so please don't worry about making mistakes, they will be edited out or we can run the whole thing as many times as it takes. Looking forward to hearing from you, Eywa nghau.
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Predict

That's a very good idea for the podcast and getting people working on location.

I think it would be very valuable to set out our 'Ideal' though. Research the broad issues like climate and decide on what we want, best case scenario, that way when someone brings up a location we have a good idea of if it will suit us and if people will like it. Otherwise there are so many locations we could pick, it's easy (well easier ???) to decide which of a couple is best but it's also easy to miss something.

If we have a really clear ideal someone can bring up a location and say, for example: this is a forest area with good seasonal rainfall, downside is it's hotter than we'd like. Then the other might be a forest but with unpredictable rainfall and we'd just have to decide which factor is more important. Hope that makes sense.

Eana Tanhì

If you come up with any good research, you many be interested in this plan for the next podcast episode  or at least I hope you are 0.o

Quote from: fnua atxkxe on April 20, 2010, 10:08:55 am
Here is a sneaky preview of one of the things I would like to do, I would like two or more people to go away, research one location and we will have a live debate about it on air, the goal of this is not only to make a great listening experience but also to have the secondary effect of helping to speed up our location search, anyone who is willing to do this, please send me a pm, there are no plans to rush this so you will have plenty of time to prepare your arguments however you will not get to know the other person/s so you will not know what arguments they will put forward. This is all meant to be good fun so please don't worry about making mistakes, they will be edited out or we can run the whole thing as many times as it takes. Looking forward to hearing from you, Eywa nghau.

I like this idea and i would like to be a part of it... and it's good idea to discus things, that way we'll be faster at eliminating places that are too dangerous, hot, cold... i think that we just need to be good prepared when we bring up a location

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Predict

This does make sense but i think we need to establish what sort of location we want first. At the moment we have done polls but they aren't supported by any substantial research and are very broad.

I think we need to lay down exactly what we are aiming for so that when we are debating locations we know how they will suit the tribe as a whole, not just the opinion of a few people.
We should at least know what climate and biome we want or have a sort of top 3 list.

I'd be happy to make a list and brief summary of the most likely ones.

Fnua Atxkxe

Many people have ideas about what they want, obviously as I said you would have to have the time to go away and research the location pre-podcast. This is not to cement a location as such, just to stimulate discussion and maybe even come up with something incredible! Obviously I am not aksing you to come on air with the current location information that we have, it would be up to the people who volnteer to go away and do the research on their chosen location. We do have a fairly good template HERE that will get you started :)

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Predict

That looks good, are we collaborating on the wiki with the Revolutionists then?

What I meant was to decide on the broader issues of climate and biome first, although we have done a round of polls they were done with little information and aren't very clear. I think we should work this out first, likely with another round of polls, before going into too specific locations (like countries/states). We should be at the point where we can say, for example, we are hoping for a *temperate forest* area with *whatever* rainfall &c.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but it makes sense to know this before we start researching specific locations.

Fnua Atxkxe

Yeah, I agree with that for finding the location, all I want for the podcast is something that will engage the listeners, this will I think help with finding a location because this could help us peg down what it is we want from our location. The people who do this will need to research their chosen area very thoroughly and this will include information such as climate and biome, this will mean they may also have to justify why this is a good climate etc. If they make a convincing argument we may even be able to nail down some of the things that it is that we want from our location from it. Primarily I am just looking for something that will make us look good and engage the listeners. That is the main goal here, to get us more members and to make us look well organized and committed. Shouldn't be too hard if we are honest :)

Predict

Ahh, that makes complete sense*we need a 'slaps face' smiley*. I think I may have been slightly too general with what I was saying, for the podcast a debate is great and will definitely show people what we are about. 

When I'm talking an ideal climate/biome I was thinking in the long run, alongside the podcast or similar. I was hoping we could set out a long term plan for finding the location because we have to face the fact that it's going to be a lot of work and bloody complicated  ;). The clearer it is what we need to do the easier it is for people to do it.

Back on your podcast, do we have someone who is going to give a sort of goal statement, summing up what the tribe is hoping to achieve and what we stand for, so listeners can see straight up if it's for them? I may have missed this somewhere, not sure.

bagget00

I'm surprised we haven't thought of this. We do need something like that in the cast. Thank you for the idea.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Fnua Atxkxe

Yah, that's why KP and myself initialy thought of doing the seperate podcast, so that this can be like a tribe update podcast to see where we are with everyting, what we have done recently and stuff, though I advocate working from the initial information from waaaay back so that the listeners are not thrown in at the deep end.

Predict

I doubt we have enough for a separate podcast yet but as we progress I'm sure one will evolve out of the general podcast as we have more to say and have done all the 'recruiting' we can.

Fnua Atxkxe

Urhmmmm..... You do read all the threads right ;D ;) ;D We have tons of information that we can use, there have been so many great discussions, we have the thrid most active board on forum. Quantity will not be a problem, only the quality :D

(offtopic)

Predict

Believe me I read the threads ;). Thinking about it I'm sure your right, we have plenty to put in.
Edit: But more importantly, didn't we have second place a few weeks ago, we need to overtake Spam ;D.

sezawte

Don't forget, land out in the middle of nowhere goes for far far less
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Interested in a camping trip in the UK? Find out more Here

Esmond

Has anyone suggested Panama, Colombia or Venezuela?

Btw, when are the discussion sessions? I'm GMT+8.00 and I haven't seen anyone except fnua.

Help preserve Nature.