Location Research: Paraguay

Started by Nantxe'lan, November 09, 2010, 08:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nantxe'lan

I stumbled across this country by accident and was surprised how easy immigration to paraguay is.

PROs:
  • Easy immigration requirements: 5,000 US$ starting capital and 850 to 1,000 US$ (depends on location) investment for permanent residence permit. NO OTHER REQUIREMENTS !
  • low taxes.
  • low living costs.
  • cheap realties, mostly farmland or virgin forest area advertised as suitable for farms/ranches (1x hectare dense virgin Chaco forest costs about 200 US$ on average).
  • state interventionism apparently tends near zero. depending on location "unimportant" laws like building regulations are almost unchecked (of course not officially confirmed).

CONs:
  • Most large scale realty is located in west paraguay, in the Gran Chaco region, formerly known as the "Green Hell". This is the hottest and driest region of paraguay.
  • residence of large predators (Jaguar for example).
  • mostly small hunting game.(not verrified yet).
  • depending on location (almost) no rivers or lakes. water supply depends on wells (not verrified yet).
  • almost exclusively unpopulated OR high populated areas.
  • some locations which apear to fit the tribe might have a mismatching climate. paraguay has apparently everything to offer from savannas to dense rain forests.
  • compulsory school attendance (but almost not enforced). public schools lack of quality, private schools are quite expensive. legality of home schooling unknown.
  • Not really a con: official languages are spanish and guaraní. portugese and german are the most common second languages. english speakers are a bit scarce.

About the average climate in Paraguay:
note that this table applies to the WHOLE country. but due to the different climate zones it varies quite a bit depending on location. temperature in Gran Chaco region can get up to 40°C for example

|   Jan |   Feb |   Mar |   April |   May |   June |   July |   Aug |   Sep |   Oct |   Nov |   Dec
G.A.T.|  28°C |  27°C |  26°C |  23°C |  20°C |  18°C |  18°C |  19°C |  21°C |  23°C |  25°C |  27°C
H.A.T.|  33°C |  32°C |  31°C |  28°C |  24°C |  22°C |  23°C |  24°C |  26°C |  29°C |  31°C |  32°C
L.A.T.|  22°C |  22°C |  21°C |  18°C |  16°C |  13°C |  13°C |  14°C |  16°C |  18°C |  20°C |  21°C
A.P.| 157mm | 122mm | 114mm | 157mm | 112mm | 71mm | 43mm | 76mm | 79mm | 117mm | 152mm | 132mm
A.D.R.|     8|     6|     6|     7|     6|     6|     5|     4|     7|     8|     8|     7

Here is a Link to an online °Celsius to °Fahrenheit converter
And one for millimeter (mm) to inch conversion

That's all I've got so far. I'll update this as soon as i got more information.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

Key'ìl Nekxetse

TEWTI!
That's great work! Keep going!
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Fnua Atxkxe

Very nice, well presented and easy to understand  :)
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Txonari

Very nice research, thanks! ;D

But it seems that Paraguay leaves something to be desired in the way of land. A hectare is about 2.5 acres? Yes, the land is cheap, but I don't think we'd accomplish much with 1 hectare of land, $200 or not.

Sorry to be the devils advocate, but we have to consider everything.
All I want is a single thing worth fighting for.

Nantxe'lan

erm... this is just the average price per hectare. most farm properties for sale have somewhat around at least 30 to 40 hectares.
biggest farms i came accross had 780 ha.
but farmland is allready divided up, whereas virgin forest property in gran chaco is unclaimed, therefore you can almost buy as much land as you want. or rather as much as you can afford.

for example: a property of 2,700 acres (geraldo island) corresponds roughly to 1,100 hectares wich would cost around 220,000 US$ - less than a third of geraldo island (around 770,000 US$ IIRC).

but this leads me to a question:
How much land do we actually need?

Txonari

Oh haha I read the original post as "the chaco forest is only 1 hectare." I really need to stop posting in the morning, that's two misunderstandings in two days! ;D

But in answer to how much land we need: enough for hunting, potential expansion, moving around, etc. But, I'd say as much as we can get because the more land we get, the more is protected from development. Basically, the more land we own, the more land we can give back to the earth!

Predict

Immigration certainly looks promising. Although the country's a bit of a hole, we need to check out the local climates, it looks like some areas are very harsh environments.

As for land, that would depend totally on vegetation, wildlife and local access laws (admittedly, they're irrelevant in most of the considered locations). At a rough estimate something in the order of 2-5000 acres seems appropriate. They're big numbers but it's not a large area, if you consider a square of that area and the diagonal length imagine walking that length and you can find even a thousand odd acres seems small, if you think about that as your whole 'world' in the tribe.

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Quote from: Nantxe'lan on November 09, 2010, 08:24:29 AM
I stumbled across this country by accident and was surprised how easy immigration to paraguay is.

PROs:
  • Easy immigration requirements: 5,000 US$ starting capital and 850 to 1,000 US$ (depends on location) investment for permanent residence permit. NO OTHER REQUIREMENTS !
  • low taxes.
  • low living costs.
  • cheap realties, mostly farmland or virgin forest area advertised as suitable for farms/ranches (1x hectare dense virgin Chaco forest costs about 200 US$ on average).
  • state interventionism apparently tends near zero. depending on location "unimportant" laws like building regulations are almost unchecked (of course not officially confirmed).

Low taxes... we would not really be paying taxes if we live mainly without electricity, but for that,
we can ask the forum to pay that, as we don't have a job in the world,
we'd be living on our own, so we should ask Payoang to collect some money on the forum ^^

CONs:
  • Most large scale realty is located in west paraguay, in the Gran Chaco region, formerly known as the "Green Hell". This is the hottest and driest region of paraguay.
  • residence of large predators (Jaguar for example).
  • mostly small hunting game.(not verrified yet).
  • depending on location (almost) no rivers or lakes. water supply depends on wells (not verrified yet).
  • almost exclusively unpopulated OR high populated areas.
  • some locations which apear to fit the tribe might have a mismatching climate. paraguay has apparently everything to offer from savannas to dense rain forests.
  • compulsory school attendance (but almost not enforced). public schools lack of quality, private schools are quite expensive. legality of home schooling unknown.
  • Not really a con: official languages are spanish and guaraní. portugese and german are the most common second languages. english speakers are a bit scarce.

Pick unpopulated areas ;-) - and we'd be teaching ourselves, no real need for schools I think, and a Jaguar  :o, better secure our village then. >.>

About the average climate in Paraguay:
note that this table applies to the WHOLE country. but due to the different climate zones it varies quite a bit depending on location. temperature in Gran Chaco region can get up to 40°C for example

|   Jan |   Feb |   Mar |   April |   May |   June |   July |   Aug |   Sep |   Oct |   Nov |   Dec
G.A.T.|  28°C |  27°C |  26°C |  23°C |  20°C |  18°C |  18°C |  19°C |  21°C |  23°C |  25°C |  27°C
H.A.T.|  33°C |  32°C |  31°C |  28°C |  24°C |  22°C |  23°C |  24°C |  26°C |  29°C |  31°C |  32°C
L.A.T.|  22°C |  22°C |  21°C |  18°C |  16°C |  13°C |  13°C |  14°C |  16°C |  18°C |  20°C |  21°C
A.P.| 157mm | 122mm | 114mm | 157mm | 112mm | 71mm | 43mm | 76mm | 79mm | 117mm | 152mm | 132mm
A.D.R.|     8|     6|     6|     7|     6|     6|     5|     4|     7|     8|     8|     7

Here is a Link to an online °Celsius to °Fahrenheit converter
And one for millimeter (mm) to inch conversion

That's all I've got so far. I'll update this as soon as i got more information.

Nice temps, we could be running around half-naked for most of the times :p

Finally somebody made some work of a location. Keep looking!

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Say we have confirmed Paraguay, we should find a place with a river, no? Or at least close. (no crocs, anaconda's or anything other that can kill us please)

So we can go swim in the morning ^^.

But personally I think we should find a safer spot, the south America's are known for rebellions, they can capture us capitalists for money...
I vote for the middle of North America somewhere... (Without campings, common hikers and stuff please!) is that possible?

:-( - I think this is gunna be one of our biggest concerns, what do we need again?

- Safe area (no large predators such as crocs, tigers, jaguars, or rebels, other natives and/or dictators)
- Clean water close (rivers, lakes - also without predators)
- Middle of a forest (no campers, hikers, travellers, unless adventurers and LN-ers).

Right, I actually think an island is still the best, but not the cheapest... <.< (no active volcanoes please!) I'll go find one ;-)
Wait, We had our eyes on an island before... What was it called?

Nantxe'lan

WHAT?! no crocodiles and anacondas?! do you wat to go on vacation or do you want to feel the true spirit of nature?! what brings you closer to Eywa (or faster TO her) than wrestling a 9 meter long anaconda while a hungry crockodile gnaws on your buttcheeks?

nah, just kidding ;D

*cough, cough* let's get serious again.

no taxes because of no elictricity? i think confuse something.  ;)
i'm not talking about energy consumption costs and alike, i'm talking about governmental taxes. if we won't be somehow tax exempted, the least thing we will have to pay is a property tax.
despite that i don't believe that anyone outside the tribe would be willing to pay our incidental expenses...

the problem with widely unpopulated areas is that - for example - the next hospital will be some hundret miles away. perhaps too far away in case of emergency.
and home schooling of our kids is almost for sure - but you have to remember that many countries with an compulsory school attendance have laws which prohibit homeschooling - brazil for example.

if i remember correct, North america is pretty much out of question as a location for the tribe - but i could be wrong with this.
and the island you are reffering to is geraldo island - brazil. despite the fact that i stumbled across brazils anti home schooling law there are some more difficulties, although the island has not officially been dismissed.

look here:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/tribal-research-geraldo-island/

Txonari

Quote from: Mìhìl on November 12, 2010, 08:40:48 AM
Low taxes... we would not really be paying taxes if we live mainly without electricity, but for that,
we can ask the forum to pay that, as we don't have a job in the world,
we'd be living on our own, so we should ask Payoang to collect some money on the forum ^^

There has been talk about an indie gaming studio being set up, to pay taxes and the like. Relying on the forum might work for a bit (if we need money to get started,) but I doubt we could keep that up forever.

Quote from: Nantxe'lan on November 13, 2010, 04:51:51 PM
if i remember correct, North america is pretty much out of question as a location for the tribe - but i could be wrong with this.

Yeah, I believe it is out of the question. The US government probably wouldn't back what we're trying to do (plus, no available land.) And Canada would be waaay to cold.

I suppose central America would be possible. But personally, I just don't like the idea of having a tribe in any central American countries. Have you heard of the kinds of creatures that can kill you, just for sleeping outside?

Tsyal Maktoyu

I remember there was some talk of Southeast Asia and the Indies a while ago, what of that?

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

*cough*

I'm ºC dead, so I think it'd post this guide.