New location!

Started by Tonbogiri, December 28, 2010, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

I would love to go see it, but I'm kind of in a bind until I turn 18.

ExLibrisMortis

Maui and Haleakala... House of the sun. The closest you can get to the sun while standing on a piece of Earth. My homeland.

2 issues I see here though. As bad as it may sound, a lot of locals do not like foreigners. When I say foreigners, I mean people not of Polynesian decent, or have been living on the islands for some time. Some places of Hawaii are just as bad as the Bronx or inner-city Chicago. It's the part they don't tell you about in all the travel brochures. My family hails from Wainae and Nanakuli. I know.

Secondly, for trying to remove yourselves from Modern civilization, this is extremely close to some of the most modern tourist spots you can be. It may seem out in nowhere from the sattelite images, but you are within hours, even minutes, of modern civilizations.

But if this is the place you finally choose, or anywhere in Hawaii, I would be more than glad to do the case study I was thinking of then.

Tonbogiri

Hi ExLibrisMortis,

You are from Hawaii? In fact from this very area? Then this is excellent - your information would of course be crucial!

Hmm, not sure what we can do about local attitudes. I think it could be a problem wherever we go, and we will simply have to do our best to get along, or stay out of eachother's way.
In terms of how close we are to civilisation, we realise that we are within one hour's range of the nearest major town. What we have noticed as we move forward with research is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to truly isolate oneself from society - the land available is often not what we require, or the immigration controls are so strict that our situation cannot be factored in. Also, having our tribe relatively near civilisation does have advantages - while we can still remain culturally and socially distant from it, in the event of life threatening situations emergency help is not far away. Tribal medicine can fix a lot of things, but if someone falls down a gully and breaks more than a few bones, we may have a problem. The nearest hospital a mile away is better than a hundred miles away.

I do thank you, however, for this information - you will know this area far better than any of us, and probably far better than the internet!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Txontaw

Quote from: Tonbogiri on December 30, 2010, 04:17:04 AM
Hi ExLibrisMortis,

You are from Hawaii? In fact from this very area? Then this is excellent - your information would of course be crucial!

Hmm, not sure what we can do about local attitudes. I think it could be a problem wherever we go, and we will simply have to do our best to get along, or stay out of eachother's way.
In terms of how close we are to civilisation, we realise that we are within one hour's range of the nearest major town. What we have noticed as we move forward with research is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to truly isolate oneself from society - the land available is often not what we require, or the immigration controls are so strict that our situation cannot be factored in. Also, having our tribe relatively near civilisation does have advantages - while we can still remain culturally and socially distant from it, in the event of life threatening situations emergency help is not far away. Tribal medicine can fix a lot of things, but if someone falls down a gully and breaks more than a few bones, we may have a problem. The nearest hospital a mile away is better than a hundred miles away.

I do thank you, however, for this information - you will know this area far better than any of us, and probably far better than the internet!

Yes, it's almost crucial that we have a town nearby for emergencies.

Even the Amish have cars for driving people to the hospital. They don't shun technology for the most part, they just don't use it.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

ExLibrisMortis

Im not from this Island, but if you are Hawaiian, you know practically everything about the islands. And I apologize for my misconception, but to my understanding, at least from last I checked up on this project, you guys were planning to be almost completely isolated. Unbeknownst to me, that changed.

So yeah, all things considered this is a interesting choice and is a sound one too. Elevation looks good and its also on the leeward side of the island it seems. That means your equipment won't get destroyed by the salty wind and you'll have better protection from the sea storms.

Tonbogiri

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on December 30, 2010, 11:19:10 PM
Elevation looks good and its also on the leeward side of the island it seems. That means your equipment won't get destroyed by the salty wind and you'll have better protection from the sea storms.

Ahem...well, I am sure we thought of that!

And yes, it turns out complete isolation is much harder than you'd think.

Txontaw

That's because humans are very widespread. The only way to be truly isolated is to go to the places that are almost impossible to live in, like the deserts and the poles.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Txontaw on December 31, 2010, 05:13:48 PM
That's because humans are very widespread. The only way to be truly isolated is to go to the places that are almost impossible to live in, like the deserts and the poles.

Lol dont be Silly....Thats the reason no one lives there...its an area that cant be inhabited..

NotW#82

nawma skxawng

if you need training on how to react to a volcanic eruption, I'd be more than happy to help.

[url=http://j.mp/USEastLN][img]http://j.mp/e2FA8X[/img][/url]

'Awvea ultxari ohengeyä, nawma sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi

Txontaw

Quote from: Na'vin on December 31, 2010, 08:31:56 PM
Quote from: Txontaw on December 31, 2010, 05:13:48 PM

Lol dont be Silly....Thats the reason no one lives there...its an area that cant be inhabited..

That's my point -.-

Uriuujìn

I am only hearing good things about this new place! The only downsides I am hearing is from immigration laws, local attitudes, and volcanoes. Only one of these things is truly dangerous, but I'm sure that we can find a way to get through immigration XD jk, but it sounds like this is a perfect spot. We just need to figure out what kind of plants cam be grown there without harming the environment there. Although I head that volcanic areas are some of the most fertile in the world. Probably a good thing for us, eh?
Although that is a pretty hefty price tag... How are we supposed to raise that again?

Gaia ngahu

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn

Tonbogiri

Ah, fundraising. This is a case for more members - if we had ten people, each person would need to raise 150,000 dollars...which is still a lot!

If we had more people, we could reduce this. Remember, we have a lot of time - why not start fundraising now!!

IN terms of plants that we can grow, the property was originally designed for fruit farming (gone wild now), so we would assume that the plants we can grow are also, um, fruity.

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Tonbogiri on December 31, 2010, 03:54:47 AM
Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on December 30, 2010, 11:19:10 PM
Elevation looks good and its also on the leeward side of the island it seems. That means your equipment won't get destroyed by the salty wind and you'll have better protection from the sea storms.

Ahem...well, I am sure we thought of that!

Didn't think about that eh? Yeah, its a big mistake many people not from the Hawaiian Islands make. Cars have a severely diminished lifespan if you live on the windward side of the islands.

The likeliness of Haleakala erupting is very small. Almost zero, really. Its dormant.

Regarding the plants, Hawaii has very strict agricultural and livestock importation laws and regulations. Right now they have massive problems with certain rodents and plant life that have invaded the ecosystem there. Usually you can find out this information by looking it up on EPA, or the US National Parks service.

Tonbogiri

Importation, hopefully it will not come to that. What food plants can be bought in Hawaii itself? After all, no point bringing in apple trees when we could just eat a watermelon. Do watermelons grow in Hawaii?

Tsleng Keye'ung

Mmm, watermelon... Anyway this looks great! And, if a volcano is dormant its not going to erupt.

nawma skxawng

Well it could erupt, but is not currently

[url=http://j.mp/USEastLN][img]http://j.mp/e2FA8X[/img][/url]

'Awvea ultxari ohengeyä, nawma sa'nok lrrtok siveiyi

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

The location is ideal, the locals will not be a problem.
Growing plants and fruit barring trees takes more time than we will have to start them.
We need to find out if there are currently any wild fruit barring plants already there...
As we wont be able to grow what we need the moment we arrive, they will take time.

Also game hunting, is there a reliable source of game inhabiting the fields?
All this can be answered when we get someone to investigate the area.

NotW#82

Tonbogiri

Perhaps I should ask the land agent? They may be unlikely to know, but until we are ready to scout out locations in person it may be a good idea.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I think we should find out what common flora there is in Hawaii, as that will show us what gathering will likely provide.

Brief investigation shows that there are many plants that could provide food, some of which are considered pests. It also sounds like there should be game available too.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Uriuujìn

If there isn't, I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of local livestock that we could get to help supplement our diet. Then again, I haven't done a whole lot of research into this, so if anyone else knows anything about it that would be ideal.

Earth Mother guide you

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn