New location!

Started by Tonbogiri, December 28, 2010, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navi

i understand you very good ;)

i agree in many points, but in brazil doesn't exist big animals, not many spezies weigh more than 200kg jaguars weigh circa 100kg. (maybe a tapir or a  boar weigh more)
i think we have different points of view about dangerous and "big animals" a wolf isn't a big animal for me.

now i see the "problem"

the arguments of yours are the same arguments which i have but i mean it positiv.... we will not have any results no matter how long we talk about.... for example:"Keep in mind that nature is driven by evolution. In a situation with high competition (like the rainforest), animals and plants need more defences to survive." i think many animals and plants grow at locations which have good habitats and that's the reason why i think the rainforest will be a good choice because if a habitat can provide so many species so it will be even possible to survive (for us)

i think the rainforest is a dangerous habitat (we have the same problem at any other location, only the kind of dangers are different) but it's worth to take the risk because the rainforest is such a wonderful habitat, no matter where we live we have everywhere problems ( biiiig problems^^)

i hope you understand what i mean, we will see what the poll show if all members have choosen a option (i hope it's ok for you)

Tsyal Maktoyu

I'm sort of with Keyil on this one. It'd be wrong to say that living in the rainforest is impossible, because, well, people have been doing it since the dawn of time, and they seem to live well. ;) The problem though is that we aren't those people. To live and thrive in the rainforest is something you have to do your entire life...you gotta be born into it. A bunch of city folk trying to forge a life there? We don't stand a chance.

Subtropical is really ideal for what we are going for. All the beauty and fertility of a tropical climate, but a lot easier to live in. Unfortunately that makes land hard to come by, but in my opinion the search would be worth it. The Hawaiian reserves do look promising.

Though if we do settle for temperate, let's be somewhere as close to the equator as that climate goes. I don't want to deal with snow. :(

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

Key'ìl, all I can say is adjust. We find an area that suits our needs, and let future generations adjust as needed. I honestly think we couldn't survive the rainforest immediately, but maybe on the outskirts it may be better.

Nantxe'lan

the problem is simply our "natural habitat". a common flu like almost everyone here allready had at least once in his life is still able to kill native people and even "thin blooded" people with native ancestors are hit worse by a flu then we are.
we on the other hand with our allergies and whatnot, coming straight out of our washing powder cleaned and sanitizier shrouded "habitat" will have troubles in the wilderness and especially in the rain forrest. diseases uncommon to our immune system could emediately kill the tribe. of course, even we can die from a common flu if it is not treated right. but our immune system is build to guard us from diseases we allready had and is able to generate antibodies for diseases our close ancestors had. a friend of mine is from ghana and he survived malaria. while this disease is still deadly to those people living there, the mortality of malaria depends to a big part on the medical treatment (which is sometimes almost inexistent in ghana). but if someone from europe or north america catches malaria, mortality rate is about twice as high, even with the best medical treatment. why? because our bodies are simply unable to react propperly to this disease.

of course further generations will adjust to the new location. this might allready happen to the next generation, but it also could take centuries to happen.
if rainforrest, it should be a outskirt region, as Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä allready said. close enough to acclimate with the location but far enough away to not become extinct during the first years.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

guest2859

Quote from: Nantxe'lan on February 17, 2011, 05:36:22 PM
the problem is simply our "natural habitat". a common flu like almost everyone here allready had at least once in his life is still able to kill native people and even "thin blooded" people with native ancestors are hit worse by a flu then we are.
we on the other hand with our allergies and whatnot, coming straight out of our washing powder cleaned and sanitizier shrouded "habitat" will have troubles in the wilderness and especially in the rain forrest. diseases uncommon to our immune system could emediately kill the tribe. of course, even we can die from a common flu if it is not treated right. but our immune system is build to guard us from diseases we allready had and is able to generate antibodies for diseases our close ancestors had. a friend of mine is from ghana and he survived malaria. while this disease is still deadly to those people living there, the mortality of malaria depends to a big part on the medical treatment (which is sometimes almost inexistent in ghana). but if someone from europe or north america catches malaria, mortality rate is about twice as high, even with the best medical treatment. why? because our bodies are simply unable to react propperly to this disease.

This would be my main issue, I used to be almost immune to everything except a cold. Lately, my immune system has been on the fritz and I've been lucky enough to survive the 'annual stomach bug' that hits everyone. I don't know if I'll react badly when this kicks off, but I don't think we should all assume safety. We might have to do a military-style immunization plan. (As in, we line up, get all modern injections via syringe, and then get separate times for all deathly diseases [in this case all])

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Hey everyone, Ive been at work all day, and I see that this discussion about rainforests has taken a tangent.

I wont say what I have already said before, so I'll just reiterate.
Rainforests are extremely dangerous ONLY if you dont take the proper steps to living in the area.

Water Parasites: Can be avoided through collection of rain water from a hand made canister atop of the trees.( ive done this )
Leaf/ground parasites: can be avoided through proper grooming, and caution. Certain areas will harbor certain parasites.
Avoiding certain areas will keep you clean.

Staying Dry: Easily do-able, building proper shelter can keep you high, and very dry...Rainforests provide much better shelter building supplies mind you. A big plus.
Disease: depending on your area, disease can be avoided. If you reside in a location with sitting or stagnant water, you stand a greater chance of getting disease.
Also, mosquito's usually stay at ground level, building you shelter high up provides an escape from certain pests and animals.

If im forgetting something let me know.
A rainforest is ideal to me, it provides many many advantages, but like I said, it also harbors more dangers.

NotW#82

guest2859

Quote from: Na'vin on February 17, 2011, 06:50:44 PM
Snip

Well, I see everything, but what about certain plants? As in, making sure we don't need any sort of dangerous reactions? I figure this is one of the primaries for this kind of area.

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on February 17, 2011, 10:35:20 PM
Quote from: Na'vin on February 17, 2011, 06:50:44 PM
Snip

Well, I see everything, but what about certain plants? As in, making sure we don't need any sort of dangerous reactions? I figure this is one of the primaries for this kind of area.

There are certain characteristics of plants that give distinct "tells" that they should NOT be touched.
Its the same thing for mushrooms. (Fungi)
Also for animals! Dart frogs etc.

No matter where you go, you should always exercise extreme caution, with every step you take.
Once you have adapted, things are much easier and life becomes much more simple when you understand your surroundings.

NotW#82

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

There are still mushrooms that don't have obvious warning signs, but knowing what you're doing will prevent that method of dying.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

I wonder if magic mushrooms grow in Brazil/Ecuador, wherever we decide to go. the Na'vi do practice spiritual rites with hallucinogens, and mushrooms can be absolutely beautiful :D

Eywayä lì'u

I really don't think we should be using hallucinogenic fungi in this kind of environment regardless of whether fictional characters do or not. It would be highly unpredictable and dangerous :(
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

wouldn't be as long as we find ourselves a safe haven. and you can react fine in dangerous situations while under the effects of a hallucinogenic.

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 18, 2011, 04:36:38 PM
wouldn't be as long as we find ourselves a safe haven. and you can react fine in dangerous situations while under the effects of a hallucinogenic.

Fair enough then :)

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Hallucinogenic spirit quests aren't an alien concept, that's something JC borrowed right from human tribal culture. They've been doing it for millenia now. :)

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on February 19, 2011, 04:31:57 AM
Hallucinogenic spirit quests aren't an alien concept, that's something JC borrowed right from human tribal culture. They've been doing it for millenia now. :)

yeah i'm aware of that, but I was thinking more in the case of us being incredibly inexperienced with tribal life as a whole. :D

quite right, Eywayä. however, I would never pick some wild mushrooms and make everyone eat them ;D unless we were used to living together, living in the place we were living, and it was for a good reason. :P

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Neyn'ite Ateyo on February 19, 2011, 12:34:42 PM
quite right, Eywayä. however, I would never pick some wild mushrooms and make everyone eat them ;D unless we were used to living together, living in the place we were living, and it was for a good reason. :P

yeah I certainly agree with you there :D

Tonbogiri

It is nice to see people checking out cultural stuff too - location can really bog us down! For me, it was the culture of the Na'Vi that first inspired me to join up with the tribe, way back at the start...

Speaking of which, is it our 1 year anniversary? The proper boards only started appearing in February last year.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

aw, I wish I have been here for a year! it's been about a month for me :'(