New location!

Started by Tonbogiri, December 28, 2010, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonbogiri

Hey guys!

2010 is drawing to a close, and what better way to finish the year than with a new location!

For thise unaware, there has been a recent interest in choosing Hawaii as our base location. It may sound naive, but there are many perks - nice climate, naturally forested, and hunting on private land (with bows and arrows) is perfectly legal.

But where in Hawaii? Well, after consulting with a land agent, I have found a nice place.

14560 Hana Highway

Area: 92 acres

Island: Maui

Food sources: Variety of tropical fruit; year-round heavy streams (x2); game birds (ring-necked pheasant, japanese quail, barred dove, etc); wild pigs/goats.

Price: $1.5 miliion (cheap!)

Located in the Haleakala national park, with an access road leading to the Hana Highway (1 hour journey to Kahului, nearest town).

The only thing in our way is immigration - but there are organisations which help people to migrate to Hawaii (still waiting for a response from them...), and seeing as some of our members are already american citizens, it shouldn't be that tricky!

I think this is a real find - but there is an issue. And it's quite a big one. The property is located in the Haleakala national park. As in the Haleakala volcano - many eruptions in the last 1000 years, and is estimated to erupt again soon. I am sure that a volcanic eruption may inconvenience the tribe somehow...

BUt apart from that, if I had the money, I would move in now!

In my gallery I have placed some pictures of the location: http://forum.learnnavi.org/mgallery/?sa=album;id=78 if anyone wants a look.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Good find!
I looked into setting up non-profit groups in Hawaii, and it looks like it might be possible to set one up. It would mean that we could avoid tax, which I think might avoid needing so much income. There might also be the possibility of a grant, but I think that might not be possible.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Eana Tanhì

those pic looks great  ;)
and all the description too of course

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

guest2859

My spirit is telling me this is the place but my mind is dragging me on to keep looking.

Navi

It looks great :) it's very cheap too.... maybe it's our place in future :)

Txontaw

Looks great! I think that since this is one of the most qualified place we've found so far, we should start fleshing it out into pros and cons; go into more detail.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Tsyal Maktoyu

Oh my! That place looks so lush...so beautiful. And for only $1.5 million? Amazing! Definitely a place we should put on the high priority list. :D

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Txontaw

Ooh. That's beautiful. And there's even a mountain blocking it from the populated side of the island.

EDIT: And the nearest airport is just down the road a ways.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Uriuujìn

This is a fantastic spot! I would personally rather be at this place than the other location idea that was proposed. And the volcano is, in my personal opinion, a good thing! I can think of no better representation of the cycle of nature than the creation of new earth for new life to colonize. As long as it is far enough away that we could get out in time, of course ^_^ I love the symbolism of it, but that doesn't mean I want anyone to die for it XD

Earth Mother be praised! Feel the love ^_^

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Looks like there's a lot of deforestation in the area, that site seems to be cleared of trees. Should we be worried about the forest being at risk?
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Tonbogiri

Phew! Just been informed that the rather close volcano is not active right now (is dormant, unfortunately, so could go off at any time).

In response to Key'il's point, that is simply one part of the area. I hoped that we would use these areas for our buildings - that way, we would not have to remove any more forest. From the satellite pictures, it does seem more apparent - but remember, we will have 90 acres, and most of it is forested. Seeing as we will protect it, perhaps us going there is the best way of preserving the remaining trees!
If all else fails, we can replant the plain areas ourselves (with a view to fruit trees, for example). It is national park, so we should be okay...

I think our biggest problem will be actually getting the land. We are not ready to buy yet, and I am not sure how long fundraising will take us (particularly once we factor in immigration), and $1.5 million is extremely cheap in terms of land. I am worried that someone may snap it up before us...

Yayo

As someone previously stated; it feels like we have found it but, something tells me to keep looking..

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Tonbogiri

HOw about a quick pros/cons list for this location, then we look for more? Like a new thread "Final locations", with the basic summary on each one. Then, if we are ready, there can be an elective decision!

EDIT: Here it is! http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/official-locations-thread/

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Mmm yes, $1.5 Million for 92 acres is actually a lot, but considering its location, next to the sea worries me even more.
It may be difficult to locate a "fresh water" stream.

If we consider this area, it would be wise to have someone or a group of the tribe to go and physically investigate it.

And for those of you who are worrying about it getting bought up before we can, you shouldnt worry.
The US economy is in deep trouble, and no one will buy this land, TRUST ME.

Im glad I suggested Hawaii, but I have done some research of my own, and Hawaii (in some parts) is a dangerous place..
There are drug lords that live/work there, and there are Hawaiian ghetto's as well. And would be best to avoid those areas completely.
I am investigating these facts further, but dont get me wrong, this place is a far better choice compared to all the other places.

It is most likely we will NOT be disturbed here. We might also want to consider raising more money to buy MORE land.
If we can eventually own a great part of the Hawaiian Islands then we would be VERY well off...this is very possible in todays market.
As a lot of you know....money talks..

NotW#82

Tonbogiri

To Na'vin,

There are two freshwater streams that form the part of the boundaries.

It is customary, before the purchase of large land properties like this, to have a representative visit the location. The same would have to apply (almost more so) for us, so nearer the time (for example, when we are truly decided on location) we would have to visit whatever choice we make.

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Count me in for a visit! I would love to go and not only meet the other tribesman but also see this new location.
When the time comes of course.

As of this very moment its impossible for me to, but when we are able to purchase etc etc I would be glad to go.
What about you?

NotW#82

Predict

Too small, 92 acres would absolutely necessitate pretty intensive agriculture, more than a few vegetable patches.
Also, Hawaii is in America, so US citizenship. I thought we had already ruled that out.

p.s. I've been off completely over Christmas, news is back soon. (Should read "two days after soon" really)

Txontaw

I don't think we should rule anything out, considering how difficult it has been for us to find a location.

Also, how is it too small? I don't think we'll have more than a hundred, so that size should work out fine.

Tonbogiri

Welcome back Eylan, we have missed you!

Several things.

Size: 92 acres is about the right size for hunting land. IN terms of other food sources, a little farming may be needed - but the property is listed with agriculture in mind, so maybe not so much of a problem! The enormous ranges of African plains tribes is simply because there is not as much food sources in a single area. FOr us, this scarcity may not be such a problem.

Immigration: US, admittedly can be tricky. However, non-profit organisations are encouraged in hawaii, and there are agencies freely available to assist with immigration. Given the fact that some of our members are already american citizens, these legal people should be able to help us out.

Hopefully all well...