Suggestion: Solomon Islands, Melanesia, Oceania

Started by guest2859, March 11, 2011, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

Okay, I decided to do a bit of looking around, and the Solomon Islands are looking pretty promising. It's government is Constitutional monarchy and parliamentary system, has small tribes on few islands (I don't know if this would be a problem in the future, but them being there can mean wildlife), a majority of forests, and it's not being used as irrigation wasteland. I'll stop there because I'm falling asleep typing this, but here are 2 things I'll leave you with:

1)

2) Solomon Islands

Tonbogiri

Well, let's see.

It has been inhabited by tribes for thousands of years, so seems logical that we would set up our own there.
Definitely wildlife present!

Apparently only 1% of the population speak english - the native tongue of the solomon islands is apparently tricky to learn.
Immigration control? Trying to find info.
Land availability is limited - most non-tribal land is nature reserve or national park.
Vulnerable to earthquakes and tsunamis. Very relevant in recent days.

PS. Our condolances are extended to the people of Japan in these dark times. Hopefully the worst has passed for you.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

guest2859

Quote from: Tonbogiri on March 12, 2011, 05:54:18 PM
Well, let's see.

It has been inhabited by tribes for thousands of years, so seems logical that we would set up our own there.
Definitely wildlife present!

Apparently only 1% of the population speak english - the native tongue of the solomon islands is apparently tricky to learn.
Immigration control? Trying to find info.
Land availability is limited - most non-tribal land is nature reserve or national park.
Vulnerable to earthquakes and tsunamis. Very relevant in recent days.

PS. Our condolances are extended to the people of Japan in these dark times. Hopefully the worst has passed for you.

http://www.commerce.gov.sb/Divisions/Immigration/Immigration_Requirements.htm

This says the visiting standards, not the actual moving standards

Nantxe'lan

The german foreign office warns that the Solomon Islands has on of the highest malaria infection rates worldwide and a high risk of Typhus and Hepatitis A infections. besides that, homosexulity is prohibited by law (IIRC there was one tribe member who was gay, but i don't know if he's still active).
Medical treatment is only available in big cities. in rural areas there is NO medical treatment at all.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

guest2859

Quote from: Nantxe'lan on March 13, 2011, 08:33:58 AM
The german foreign office warns that the Solomon Islands has on of the highest malaria infection rates worldwide and a high risk of Typhus and Hepatitis A infections. besides that, homosexulity is prohibited by law (IIRC there was one tribe member who was gay, but i don't know if he's still active).
Medical treatment is only available in big cities. in rural areas there is NO medical treatment at all.

All that, mildly the homosexuality issues, might be big problems.

'Itan Atxur

Oceania keeps coming up. Why did we decide against it again?

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

guest2859

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 14, 2011, 09:55:54 PM
Oceania keeps coming up. Why did we decide against it again?

I think political issues, but the location makes it tempting constantly.

Tonbogiri

It was the immigration control that was the biggest problem. While America has a great number of reliable agencies to help us get in, Australia has far fewer agencies and tighter regulations. It seems easy to move to australia if you are extremely rich or if you are retired - otherwise it is hard.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...