TRIBAL RESEARCH - Geraldo Island

Started by Tonbogiri, September 11, 2010, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonbogiri

Time once again for a bit of work.

No exciting word document this time, as it has a much more official air about it.
We had a look at Geraldo Island, a private piece of land on the coast of Brazil, not too long ago. Not only is it large enough to suit all our needs (see below) but it has a relatively low price tag.

Name: Geraldo Island

Size: 25.5 miles circumference, 2,718 acres

Topography: Max height above sea level - 5 metres (hmm, global warming issue?...

Climate: Sub-tropical (more sun than rain!) and constant breeze, but no extreme weather reported over last 50 years.

Food Sources: According to local geographers, this area of coastline boasts significant populations of animals. No info on exact pop. of this area, as scientific presence in said area is a near zero. Sub-tropical forests contain wide range of edible plants and fruit.

Water Sources: "Amazon Wells" - 5 metre deep wells are the custom of the local people, so should be good enough for us. According to local sources, this water is abundant and in no danger of running dry.

I have been in contact with the land agent in charge of this island, and while he was keen for us to pretty much buy the island tomorrow, I managed to hold him off without accidentally reserving said land. While he was helpful, a point he stressed was that it would be extremely difficult to square our idea with the Brazilian government in terms of Visas. In his own words "For sure, no firm will help you out here.". Optimistic to the last, eh?

He mentioned that unless we were all retired, an annual turnover (decided by the authorities) would be required to be met by our business, and it would have to include some paid workers from Brazil. It seems that the easiest way to form foreign based firms is to have the start-up team/CEO as actual citizens of said country, and then hand out employment Visas. Or we could all wait until we are over 60, and not be bothered at all by the Brazilian government.

Seems that the thing we need to find out about is how to start foreign based, non-profit organisations and get visas for employees of the business.
Also, start saving up!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Tsteu'itan

And thus, the tribe would be right back to following the capitalist rules that are one of the main reasons the world is going to such Hell.  :/

Honestly, making it a not-for-profit of some sort, or something like that, isn't a bad idea in the least.  But when you start talking about "CEO's" and "Businesses," it just sounds like it's destined to become that which everyone here hates.

Visas and immigration really are going to be what I think makes or breaks this plan.

'Itan Atxur

Still seems like one of the best options we've got yet.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

guest2859

Is there any pictures of it? I can't do much on my phone, so can someone just forward the info to my Facebook? facebook.com/arcringno

Tsyal Maktoyu

Ouch, sounds like the Brazilian government is going to be a pain in the ass about it. Damn modern politics. :'( Maybe a not-for-profit might work.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

'Itan Atxur

Still though, just the fact that we HAVE to run a business...

Tsteu'itan

Having a way to pay the bills isn't what would bother me.  That's understandable, everyone has to do it.  Just talk of "CEOs" and "Businesses" brings up images of "Big Business" in my mind.  I'm extremely jaded to it all, sorry.   :-[  Big business is one of the biggest reasons I'm half-ready to wash my hands of all this BS we put up with day to day in society.  I've been reading Orwell's 1984 recently, and the comparisons I've been able to draw between Big Brother and BB (Holy Cow, even the initials of the two things are the same!  OAO) have disturbed me.  I don't like being one of those people running around shouting about how "Big Brother" is coming to get us, but geez, if it doesn't make me think!

That being said, I fully understand that there will be a need for some form of money-making endeavor in this.  There will always be something in the modern world that requires your money, even to the point of paying for the land that is acquired for the tribe.  I just think it's best to avoid associating with big companies or having to run things like they do in any way.  :/  In those cases, it's all about paying the people on top as much as possible, and they couldn't give a **** about the people who work under them.  Having a "CEO" from the country become the proprietor of the group in order to get Visas just makes me worry that in the end, it will end up having to be someone not associated with the group at all, and that could lead to the individual abusing the group for their own gain.

All-in-all, naming some person the "CEO" of your lifestyle just sounds like a perversion of the idea to me.  Then it wouldn't be your life or your dream of a harmonious life in touch with nature, it would be your job.  If that makes sense?

Sorry, I may not be making aaaany sense.  :/

Tonbogiri

Don't worry, I understand completely. It does seem contradictory to use terms like these, but when you need to be taken seriously by these people you need to talk to them in their own crazy language. Trying to speak to them in Na'Vi wouldn't go down so well...
You have raised a good point:
Quote from: Tsteu'itan on September 12, 2010, 05:44:17 AM
Having a "CEO" from the country become the proprietor of the group in order to get Visas just makes me worry that in the end, it will end up having to be someone not associated with the group at all, and that could lead to the individual abusing the group for their own gain.

We would need to make sure that, if we did use that method, the person was committed, long term, to helping us. Kinda hard to find, anyone know any Brazilian members on the forum?

The main reason for this land choice is simply the price tag. Whilst still at 750,000 euros, it is still much cheaper than most other properties. Immigration is a real kick though.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

guest2859

Me and Txontaw (Wherever he is) were going to be A business, game making, but I'm not sure he it would cover for the whole tribe.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I think we could set the business up with a number of partners, and each of us would be a partner. That would prevent many problems. Then we leave it in a state such that we don't have to do anything with it.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Teylar ateyo woritan

I do agree if we set up a business we would all have to be patners, the business would have to be something we can do in our tribal life eg Eco holidays, making stuff   
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature

'Itan Atxur

We need to hijack a rocketship and terra form a planet. Think we can accomplish that by the time the third movies out?

guest2859

Let's in to the moon. Then it can be a form of Pandora. But how would we import the oxygen?

Tsyal Maktoyu

No, how about we go in the other direction? Let's go make an underwater sub-tropical biosphere - an underwater Garden of Eden in the inspiration of Rapture (hey, there's bioluminesence down there :)). Though no ADAM, please. :)

But I still want an Alpha Series suit. ;D

Revolutionist

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Predict

To sum up our research over the past few months: Immigration's a b****. That is all.

If it weren't for that we could buy Geraldo tomorrow, you know, theoretically. The most out there thing would have to be the traveling island of used plastic bottles.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Hmm, this really is a nasty problem.
I still have no good idea on a solution. I get the feeling we're trying to "eat an elephant in one bite", perhaps if we could brake the whole location thing into smaller bits, we would be able to get more done. I don't know how to do that though. ???
I had a look at some property in America, and there were some interesting things. Perhaps if we bought a very small area that was surrounded by national park, we would be able to cut costs while ensuring that there will be plenty of nature that can move in to repopulate the area we affect. I'm worried that budget is going to be the next HUGE problem. Which I can't solve either! >:(

I suspect the best way forward is to make some compromises, allow some disease, a cool climate and a smaller area. Don't forget that we might be able to expand our territory later. At the moment it looks like choices are just too limited.
Perhaps you've already thought of this and it's just me being slow! I mention it in-case it's useful.

I'm trying to do some research because I know random ideas aren't too helpful, but I'm short of time at the moment. I'll do what I can.

Eywa ngahu.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Sagada and Banaue (sites the Revs were considering, for those not on that board) looked nice, plus from what I've read, immigration laws in the Phillipines seem a bit more laid back. Though no one can really be sure until they get in touch with a lawyer.

Or what if we were to get duel citizenship in Brazil and our native countries, and bypass this visa stuff altogether?

Revolutionist

Tsteu'itan

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on September 13, 2010, 01:23:44 PM
If it weren't for that we could buy Geraldo tomorrow, you know, theoretically. The most out there thing would have to be the traveling island of used plastic bottles.

HRH, I'm still rather smitten with the idea of a city of floating bottle islands all individual, but connected together through floating bridges.  :P

guest2859

Yeah, this just sucks. If currency didn't run the world, we could've been on an island already. But I hope my computer gets fixed, so I can find a way out of this hell hole.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Well what we need to look at is how much money can we raise. Then we can look at what is in our budget, where it is, how large it is, what the flora and fauna is on the island, what is the access to water like, what are the diseases in the area.

Tbh Geraldo is nearly perfect but immigration laws are quick strict, one thing some very brave souls in the tribe could do is get in contact with the brazillian embassy about are idea and see what they can do
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature