Tribe Location Brainstorm

Started by Txontaw, January 18, 2010, 12:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txon Taronyu

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Ikranä mokri

well looking at that I would say that a plain mixed in with some forest would probably be the best and seeming as were going to need land for hunting were gonna have to buy a bit more than just where we want to live

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

bagget00

so you want a place that has big trees but is on the edge of a forest with a plain nearby? That would be ideal, but we may have trouble finding it. Let me know if you have any ideas where to look.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Ikranä mokri

even small trees or medium tress on the edge of a forest i think would do but I'm just speculating totally about this

Txon Taronyu

People get used to bugs
but I would not want it cold
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Mindas Arran

The upper peninsula of Michigan has good hunting -- It's wooded, near a very abundant water supply, and is teaming with animal life.

Txon Taronyu

Are you from michigan or something because I have seen alot of your posts and they all talk about michigan

Mindas Arran

Yes, I am. Yes, they are.

The idea for a huge tribe is great, but if people can't get together first on a local scale, then they have no chance of making a real and lasting tribe on a grand scale.

Txon Taronyu

The problem with the US is they have so many laws to do with hunting and living on areas of land so we may need to go somewhere where they care less about that sort of thing

keye'ung makto

Quote from: Mindas Arran on January 23, 2010, 06:25:31 PM
The upper peninsula of Michigan has good hunting -- It's wooded, near a very abundant water supply, and is teaming with animal life.

i used to live there for a while it is indeed very good for what we need sept it has snow

Tutean-tìhawnu

Quote from: Txon Taronyu on January 23, 2010, 07:16:53 PM
The problem with the US is they have so many laws to do with hunting and living on areas of land so we may need to go somewhere where they care less about that sort of thing

They also have an awful lot of laws inhibiting those of us who don't live there...
Kìyevame ma aytsmuktu, Eywa ngahu

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Txontaw

Quote from: Tutean-tìhawnu on January 24, 2010, 05:10:13 AM
Quote from: Txon Taronyu on January 23, 2010, 07:16:53 PM

They also have an awful lot of laws inhibiting those of us who don't live there...

Yeah, we can be pretty snobby.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Ikranä mokri

http://forum.learnnavi.org/navi-tribe/this-is-an-addon-for-location/  guys this is a link to the poll i just made for this discussion it might not be what we need now but lets just get an idea about where we want this

Coyote

Let's be realistic, folks, you'll want a place where there are facilities to help out in case things go horribly wrong. When your young mothers have babies dying of malnutrition or common diseases and infections, this will cease to be adventurous really fast.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it may be most realistic for tribes to have regional locations. A North America tribe can have a thriving community on it's own.

A lot of jungle or tropical areas are remote, or --let's be honest-- controlled by governments who may have questions about a bunch of well-off Westerners (which most of us are) coming to set up a colony. They'll want to know what and why, how it'll be paid for, etc. They may take the opportunity to shake down "rich foreigners" (which they will see us as regardless of our socioeconomic status; to most of the rest of the world, even our down-and-out Westerners are pretty well off) for money, and kidnapping relatives of wealthy Westerners for ransom is not unheard of.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

keye'ung makto

thank you  ive been trying how to put words to that

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Coyote on January 26, 2010, 06:12:35 PM
Let's be realistic, folks, you'll want a place where there are facilities to help out in case things go horribly wrong. When your young mothers have babies dying of malnutrition or common diseases and infections, this will cease to be adventurous really fast.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it may be most realistic for tribes to have regional locations. A North America tribe can have a thriving community on it's own.

A lot of jungle or tropical areas are remote, or --let's be honest-- controlled by governments who may have questions about a bunch of well-off Westerners (which most of us are) coming to set up a colony. They'll want to know what and why, how it'll be paid for, etc. They may take the opportunity to shake down "rich foreigners" (which they will see us as regardless of our socioeconomic status; to most of the rest of the world, even our down-and-out Westerners are pretty well off) for money, and kidnapping relatives of wealthy Westerners for ransom is not unheard of.

Excellent job, tsmukan. This is probably the best option, in any case. I like the idea of eventually creating an "international" tribe, though technically we are all from the same tribe

Eywa ayngahu

-Uriuujìn

Mindas Arran

Which is why I suggesting local tribes, and what I mean by that is like minded people getting from time to time on weekends or for the occasional week long camp/hike. Anything beyond that seems a bit unlikely.

Ikranä mokri

local tribes could be a good way to start but if we have one person who can like unite us but i do agree that local tribes could be a half decent idea

Txon Taronyu

Quote from: Coyote on January 26, 2010, 06:12:35 PM

A lot of jungle or tropical areas are remote, or --let's be honest-- controlled by governments who may have questions about a bunch of well-off Westerners (which most of us are) coming to set up a colony. They'll want to know what and why, how it'll be paid for, etc. They may take the opportunity to shake down "rich foreigners" (which they will see us as regardless of our socioeconomic status; to most of the rest of the world, even our down-and-out Westerners are pretty well off) for money, and kidnapping relatives of wealthy Westerners for ransom is not unheard of

OK thats only half true its slightly a steriotype that  governmnets in south amarica are going to try and steal all your money and are evil
Also if you want to be relistic about it I would like to say the only places with the facilites we want would be to near  citys and large towns so the is always going to be some risk we have to take this is not a walk in the park

Tíloran

Kaltxì, ma oeyä aytsmukan sì aytsmuke.

If I could offer my two pence to the equation here.  I use to do some volunteer work in building homes, mostly for credits and giggles.  If it were me, I have two considerations in mind.  The first being what kind of Tribe are we?  Are we a woodland Tribe?  Are we a plains Tribe?  A sea faring Tribe?  I'm going to assume (uh-oh) we are gunning for a woodland Tribe.  In which case, I have more access to information about buying land in the States than I do in other countries.  That being said, let me begin my not-so rantish rant on the land deal.

What state do we consider a good choice?  How close do we want to be to people?  What accommodations are we looking to bring and what are we willing to not bring?  How many acres do we want?  How many acres are we going to need?  Are we going to make tree houses?  Are we going to build normal houses on the ground?  What kind of transportation are we considering?  Do we need animal husbandry considerations for the land?  What kind of natural resources are we thinking of exploiting (this goes a long way of commencing trade with the locals)?  Oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

As for me, Missouri is my first consideration in relation to what state to use.  The places I'm looking at are very wooded and relatively cheap.  Raising some 37,000 USD to pay off the land completely and using the Non-Profit status to forgo land taxes is a good choice, in my mind.  There are other options, but I like that the most.  As for houses, the trees in Missouri are not exactly load bearing trees, but they can hold a hammock or two.  My recommendation is to build underground houses.  Building a house three feet into the ground is a good choice as it protects from radiation and will keep the house very insulated.  The local vegetation will not be disturbed, since we'll be underneath it.  The process is kind of lengthy to explain, but if you want I could go into it.  I would recommend a sandbag home being built to accommodate locals who either come to visit or to do business with the Tribe.  The sandbag building is easy to build and cheaply built.  Now I'm proposing the sandbag method as proposed by Nader Khalili.  I've been to one of his workshops and have purchased his books.  So I know how the method is done.  I wouldn't buy his polypropylene bags, but would probably buy them wholesale from manufacturers.  Now, the Tribe can run about, live in the trees and enjoy themselves during the summer.  When winter comes, we can retreat to the warmth of our underground houses.  Not only will this keep us warm, but will also maintain our privacy.  The underground homes are very open and very well lighted, but they are very well camouflaged.  So during winter time, we can be secure in our privacy and warmth.

Now for a very important matter, plumbing.  I personally have no qualms with green toilets.  Where you do your business, but cover the waste with sawdust to dry it out.  When it is full you place it in a metal container and wait a couple of months or so for it to properly decompose and become fertilizer.  From there it can be used in our own greenhouses to grow our food.  Now the green houses will be underground as well.  The method to make them allows for crops to grow year round, which is nice.  It's kind of based off of the Earthships, but underground.  As for other water uses, I'm going to need some help on that one.  I'm going to do some research, but I'm not too versed in that.

Now the nostalgic hopeless romantic in me would love for us to have horses as our main mode of transportation, but realistically I'm not sure if the Tribe could afford Horses, but that would be nice.  If we are in a wooded area, I'm not sure if Horses would be very wise.  Considering the tight area they would have to navigate.  Now they would have plenty of food, I imagine (Equestrianism in all it's glory is not my strong suite), but they really wouldn't have much room to navigate.  So I would think a diesel truck would be a good choice.  We can rig it to run on biodiesel to cut fuel costs.  Which would mean, we may end up being closer to a town than some of us would like.  I think that proximity to a city would give even more need for underground housing for privacy.

Also, I'm wondering about walls.  Would we want a walled area?  Should we also consider making the land private?  In which case we would be able to protect the land.  Get's the message sent real fast when hit by an arrow that you may be trespassing.

Either way, those are my two bits.
One picture is worth 128K.