Tribe Location Brainstorm

Started by Txontaw, January 18, 2010, 12:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikranä mokri

well earlier i posted a poll seeing which continent people wanted it to be on. i havent got many voters but it looks as if its gonna be in teh US although Oceania and s America are contenders.

i posted it to kinda see what people felt. so you know assuming that its gonna be in n america is somethign i dont believe in. and land in places like Australia is cheap but im not sure how many big forests there are out there.

and assessing your thoughts animal husbandry isnt hard at all iv been around horse breeders all my life so i know whats going on and i own 8 sheep and have had allot of lambs. transport i really don't know. and natural resources im guessing wood cause were not gonna be mining for iron or anything.

about sanitary need im guessing like non communal things but im not sure we will have to adress all this later.

and horses can get very expensive cause i own one and vets bills if you dont look after it properly and if we do then well have to learn how to ride bare back and possibly with out bridles but like i said im not sure

but first we need an eyktan to like bring us all together and then we can address all those issues later and itll be much simpler

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Txon Taronyu

I think we should just hunt for food no animal husbandry or farming because then we might as well just by a farm and live in hammocks
We sould use decomozing toilets there cheap and don't smell (much) if you take care of them
Also I say we either go to British Colombia(warm, rain, lots of trees and animals not many people, also we could be around a mountain near a city so we can get airliftef out quickly but we wont be disturbed by cars and planes. Or we should go to peru
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Ikranä mokri

i like both of the location ideas but peru sounds cool cause never been

Coyote

Quote from: Txon Taronyu on January 27, 2010, 09:15:42 AM
Quote from: Coyote on January 26, 2010, 06:12:35 PM
Let's be realistic, folks, you'll want a place where there are facilities to help out in case things go horribly wrong. When your young mothers have babies dying of malnutrition or common diseases and infections, this will cease to be adventurous really fast.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it may be most realistic for tribes to have regional locations. A North America tribe can have a thriving community on it's own.

A lot of jungle or tropical areas are remote, or --let's be honest-- controlled by governments who may have questions about a bunch of well-off Westerners (which most of us are) coming to set up a colony. They'll want to know what and why, how it'll be paid for, etc. They may take the opportunity to shake down "rich foreigners" (which they will see us as regardless of our socioeconomic status; to most of the rest of the world, even our down-and-out Westerners are pretty well off) for money, and kidnapping relatives of wealthy Westerners for ransom is not unheard of

OK thats only half true its slightly a steriotype that  governmnets in south amarica are going to try and steal all your money and are evil
Also if you want to be relistic about it I would like to say the only places with the facilites we want would be to near  citys and large towns so the is always going to be some risk we have to take this is not a walk in the park

Well, I never singled out South American governments solely for criticism, we'd be looking at Equatorial or near-Equatorial governments all over, which would include Africa, and Asian/Pacific Islands. Even if the governments don't have a problem with us being there, the locals might. A group of idealistic Western youngsters setting up a colony may not go over well at all, especially if we're going to tell them not to cut down this or that tree, when they see it as necessary to live.

No matter where the tribe sets up, there'll be neighbors. And some of those neighbors will, in fact, be evil governments that will actively make trouble for us, or will look the other way as local organized crime has its way with us. A lot of governments get money from big agricultural and timber companies that we'd be in there opposed to, and the local cops won't care a whit of the big agri companies rough us up or hire thugs to kill people. They already don't care about the local natives, why would they care about a bunch of "spoiled hippies" from the West "playing native"?

Neighbors will include friendly villagers who will become unfriendly when we tell them they shouldn't clearcut a section of rainforest, but they need to clearcut it to plant crops necessary to eke out subsistence farming in poor soil. Neighbors can, possibly, include drug traffickers, narco-terrorists, human traffickers, and other unsavory types who will defend any incursion on their "turf".

To pretend these possibilities don't exist, or that they can be "dealt with when we get there", is setting up for failure. Tragic failure, which potentially will involve death, among other things.

Remember, things happened in the movie because James Cameron wanted them to. He had a script. If he'd wanted Jake Sully to flap his arms and fly, the special effects guys would make it happen. These backwoods drug traffickers didn't read the script; they have their own.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade; I think this can be done, and it can be successful, if it is done smart. Smart involves not only being aware of local conditions and political concerns, but also being aware of how the reaction will be in the media if it gets out that a bunch of people have chosen to create a Western Colony in some third world country and import their ideologies (I see a lot of problems with that one right there), and people are willing to live in squalor in little compounds so they can do this. How will that look? Like crazy people. No matter how peaceful, loving, and friendly it may be, and no matter how pure the intentions, the outside world will compare it to things like "Jonestown" (Wiki it up).

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Tíloran

Kaltxí, ma oeyä aytsmukan sí aytsmuké.

I agree with Coyote.  That's why I say we set a Tribe in the States, file for Non-Profit status.  Have the Non-Profit organization purchase the land.  This places the land under private property, entitled to self protection (by any means so long as they are notified via signs) and Federal protection.  We can retain our privacy, be well protected by our own right or by Federal standards (which can be dodgy sometimes), and gives us the best means to protect our economic assets.  Any foreign people who eventually want to join the Tribe can have their VISA's sponsored by the Non-Profit Organization to live in the Tribe.  I think this is the best way to get everyone into one location personally.
One picture is worth 128K.

The old Uriuujìn

We would have to have our application accepted, of course.

Eywa ayngahu

-Uriuujìn

Tíloran

Kaltxi.

Well yeah, application approval is kind of important.  Possibility of the acceptable rating sky rockets if the application is filed under religious and spiritual pretenses.  So if the Shaman files the application and designating the land has a holy sanctuary for the Na'vi the chances are high for approval since the Federal Government does not show bias towards religious and spiritual organizations.  Either way, Eyktan first, speculation and methodology later I suppose.

Txon Taronyu

As I said before we should live in the costal mountains just around a moutain so we don't bother people but still be near enough in the event of an emergancy
And we can use your non profit idea their as well
Also there are lots of animals and large trees its a moderatly warm temperature all year round plus it can look like pandora in places.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Tíloran

Mountains do make it easier to make underground homes.  I still think underground homes should be considered in the event we need to store food, or we need to hide out there for our own privacy and shelter from elements or something sinister like ninjas.

Ikranä mokri

underground homes would be such a hastle to build and probably expensive. i would say the best bet is to have one 'hut' with power and other essentials in it and then make hamocks outside with a beasic tarp or someting over it.

and i was thnking about clothing more specifically shoes. i can tell you now that most of us havent got the soles for walking around forests and things bare foot, we just havent been brought up to have callouses and really hard soles so its just a problem i was envisiging

Mindas Arran

Underground homes aren't that expensive and they are very efficient.

Ikranä mokri

also its just taking somethign from society atm and just damping it down a little. we want to be like the Na'Vi well a bit like them so why dont we do what they do and shun housing but have a sort of comunal sleeping area (which i guess the hammocks are)

Txon Taronyu

Ya I like the idea of underground homes it moderates temperature and makes a nice cozy home and living in hammocs would be fun but it the winter when its windy even though it may not be that could in some areas it will still be uncomforatable

bagget00

plus they are more hidden and easier to keep animals and insects out. just throw a camo tarp over the mouth of the dug out homes.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Ikranä mokri

im still not sure but im not the eyktan and their gonna be the ones who have to make decisions like this

Txon Taronyu

They make the final disition we all deside together

Ikranä mokri

well im a runner but im not gonna win

Tíloran

Don't say that.  There's a chance for everyone.

Txon Taronyu

Ya who knows you could win
I will run for the actual Eyktan not this one

Ikranä mokri

yeah but if you think about it this eyktan will be the most famous because there goin to set it up and actually start ti like the founding fathers of the US