What is happening here?

Started by Nìmwey, June 17, 2011, 03:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìmwey

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Again, I must apologise for not being much help. There's so much I must do :(
Hopefully the Blue Moon Tribe will get organised again so things can move a bit quicker, I'll see if people are more active yet.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Nìmwey

Since not much is happening, I am trying to look Hawaii up too. (It is tempting enough just because LOST was shot there. ::))

I found this on hunting licenses:
"...All persons are required to have a valid Hawaii hunting license on their person to hunt or have a bagged game mammal in their possession.  Resident hunting licenses cost $10.00 and non-resident licenses are $95.00...
...All hunting license applicants must show proof of having successfully completed a hunter education course that is recognized by the National Hunter Education Association...
...A person is considered to be a resident of Hawaii if they have resided in the State of Hawaii for at least one year."

Legal game animals are...
Feral pig (Hawaii, Maui, Molokai, Oahu, Kauai)
Mouflon sheep (Hawaii, Lanai)
Feral sheep (Hawaii)
Mouflon/feral hybrid sheep (Hawaii)
Axis deer (Maui, Molokai, Lanai)
Black-tail deer (Kauai)
Feral goat (Hawaii, Maui, Molokai, Oahu)

"Brush-tailed wallabies and wild cattle are protected in Hawaii and may not be hunted unless authorized by the Division of Forestry and Wildlife."

"Any person who hunts, serves as a guide, accompanies or assists a hunter on public hunting area is required to wear an exterior blaze orange garment which may be a shirt, vest, coat or jacket while they are engaged in those activities."
...:-\ BUT, they did say public: "The wearing of blaze orange is not a requirement on private lands unless the landowner deems it to be one."

"Game mammals may be hunted from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset, year-round. It is illegal to hunt during the period between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or to hunt utilizing any form of artificial light."

And then lots of other stuff, what kind of gun you can have, and so on: http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dcre/mammalguide.html
Old link though, ten years old.
And about bird hunting in Hawaii: http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dcre/birdguide.html

Tonbogiri

This is good stuff. The main appeal for Hawaii was, as I recall, the very easy to understand hunting laws - very clear and precise, plus they do allow us to hunt all year round (just for different animals). If someone can find a large enough land property, then PLEASE let us know - the only problem with Hawaii was the land size.

Then again, we have been considering the possibility that our land size may be smaller than originally predicted. With that in mind, there are two topics I feel we should have a look over once again.
The first is the research I did on a Hawaiian location: http://forum.learnnavi.org/tribe-archive/new-location!/

The second is a neat little initiative called the "Dry run". I will not post the link here, as said thread went into double digits in length, bu the general idea was to assume what we would do if we did have a location - the example we used was Geraldo Island, an old location researched a while back but disregarded due to tiny size and lack of wildlife. The eventual summary went as follows:

Assuming location is Geraldo Island, immigration is sorted, etc.

An advance party will go to set up several weeks before we "open for business", and this group will need to consist of the most wilderness-wise members (ACTUAL PROOF OF THIS EXPERTISE MAY BE NEEDED).
This advance group will be responsible for the setup of the tribe infrastructure, and will experiment in terms of land use, building materials, agricultural possibilities, and hunting opportunities. Upon arrival of the rest of the tribe, they will be responsible for training of "new recruits"!

There will be a "command centre" of sorts at the heart of it all - this will be a sturdy, pre-fabricated building which will contain our links to the outside world - satellite phone, etc. This building will be supplied by a variety of sustainable energy sources (solar/wind/even biogas) and as such will contain any items that require a power source to maintain. This would include medical equipment and medication itself. This building could be of enough size to accomodate us should all our other buildings blow away...which brings me onto my next point!

All other buildings will either be hand-built or pre-fabricatedaccording to preference. A system of accomodation should be sorted out beforehand (i.e. whether people would be willing to share houses, or whther everyone wants their own), to determine exact numbers and the preferences of people to pre-fabricated accomodation should the budget allow.

What do we think? Oh, these posts remind me of the tribe's heyday. Still, I am back now!!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Eywayä lì'u

Nice find Nimwey! although I'm not sure whether any of those areas are suitable, there aren't many details :(
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tonbogiri

Well, I like the land size a lot more. The massive price increase is annoying - I think we will need to have both a high end and a low end property on our list, so that we can make a more informed decision regarding budget. The one with the lowest price on that little selection from Nìmwey seems to me to be the best option. Would it be alright if I contacted the land agency in charge of it?

Nìmwey

Eywayä lì'u

To be honest, I'm a bit wary as it seems to good to be true... Hawaii but with lots of land and in a nice location :D Probably just me though...

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eywayä lì'u

Although that one you mentioned Tonbogiri has little in the way of forest looking at the pictures :(

Nìmwey

I looked up natural disasters in Hawaii and found this: http://www.to-hawaii.com/natural-disasters.php
They have very high health rates so that's good, but the frequent natural disasters make me a little wary.

I really like Spain, but it has one major downside - its landscape could never compare to that of Central America or Hawaii. http://free-wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/6/img-2513.jpg
http://www.pulsarwallpapers.com/data/media/867/Road%20to%20Hana,%20Turquoise%20Lagoon,%20Maui,%20Hawaii.jpg

Tonbogiri

Okay - have contacted the land agent asking for more info regarding flora and fauna. Have also mentioned the whole natural disasters thing - hopefully they will get back to us soon.

As you say, Nìmwey, the landscape of Spain cannot really compare. Other problems with spain include the semi-desert which permuates a lot of the land - in more mountainous areas, however, it would certainly be fertile enough for our purposes. I am unsure about price of land in Spain - anyone have any idea?

Tonbogiri