Husbandry and Farming

Started by Txon Taronyu, February 15, 2010, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagget00

Do we really want to live somewhere where there would be a freeze?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

d5ive

Quote from: bagget00 on February 16, 2010, 01:17:09 AM
Do we really want to live somewhere where there would be a freeze?

I vote no, we would not. we could, but it would be hard surviving the first winter.

Thats anothing thing to tihnk about, when we actually start this, I suggest Spring, that way we have all summer to get set up before the winter.
:O Got my own copy of Avatar on Blu Ray now!

Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men - Jean Rostand

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

'Itan Atxur

I think we're all in solid agreement here: No freezes allowed!

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Letxuma Swizaw

no more tasmania. but i still wanted to eat a tasanian giant freshwater crayfish those things get like 5 kilos
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

bagget00

where are you from, speaking with this foreign kilo word? :)
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Letxuma Swizaw

usa im just a science person i hate the empirical system.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

bagget00

lol. I just use whatevers at hand.

'Itan Atxur

So what have we decided about husbandry and farming? I think farming of some type is a good idea at least for the first year or so while we're getting used to things. Then once we're more skilled and we think our environment can supply us with what we need on it's own, then maybe we ditch small scale farming.

bagget00

Sounds like the right way to go about it. Yay. Another thing we can add to the list of decissions.

Txon Taronyu

Faming is a hard thing to just suddenly start and then stop I think we should either farm or don't

just my opinion I will do what ever the tribe agrees on
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

'Itan Atxur

Well, I don't think we'd be actually doing a full scale farm, more like a small to medium garden. And yeah, we'd probably grow rather partial to it over time.

Txon Taronyu

I think thats good but its more realistic that the garden would no be for food but for spices and herbs for medicin and cooking like I said before

Txontaw

Quote from: Txon Taronyu on February 16, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
I think thats good but its more realistic that the garden would no be for food but for spices and herbs for medicin and cooking like I said before

Why not both? We'd pick the natural foods way too quickly. Hunter and Gatherers didn't have farming, but they did have gardens. to provide with a little food.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Txon Taronyu

Well not all of them the ones in the arctic sure dident jk :D

Well what ever, but we will get most of are food from the forest/jungle right?

Txontaw

Quote from: Txon Taronyu on February 16, 2010, 03:13:33 PM
Well not all of them the ones in the arctic sure dident jk :D

Well what ever, but we will get most of are food from the forest/jungle right?

Of course.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

'Itan Atxur

That's the way I see it playing out. But it's ALWAYS a good idea to have something to fall back on food wise ;D

sezawte

Well for food to fall back on I think it would be a god idea to preserve some food (I think that will be necessary in the winter anyway) I personally think it would be better if we didn't need to farm anything but I can see both sides.
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Interested in a camping trip in the UK? Find out more Here

Txon Taronyu

ya true that also brings up a point I wanted to say most hunter gathers move every 5 years because they use up their resorses exept the jungle people dident do that (unlessed they farmed not hunted) so what are we going to do?

'Itan Atxur

Thats another good point. If this is true, we MUST farm.

Txon Taronyu

or get a large property

About what somebody said before about prserving food I think that is a logical thing to do since meat will go bad fast with out a fridge and so will fruit