Our exact lifestyle plan

Started by Tonbogiri, August 03, 2011, 07:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonbogiri

Okay,

So location is finally getting done, and we are in the process of not only finalising choices but also expanding to check out backups. Budget is also getting looked at, and we have a dry run plan once we are ready to go - one more thing to look at (which could be the most fun) is the old topic, "how na'vi do we want to be"?

Technically, the Na'Vi condition no longer applies to us at the moment. We are focused entirely on the practical sides of the task right now, and culture and customs should wait until later. But certainly let us consider our exact lifestyle!

The basic agreement so far seems to be that we will use a fusion of hunter-gatherer and permaculture in order to sustain ourselves. This combination allows us to fulfill our "Na'Vi" desires without placing too much pressure on the land we eventually decide on.

Another idea would be to run wilderness tuition courses onsite. No-one would be better qualified to teach these skills than us, after all!

Any other ideas?

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Txura Rolyu

I am thinking some people are going to want to have connection to internet, electricity, and plumbing. Plumbing especially.

Will we want beds or hammocks? I would prefer a choice...
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on August 03, 2011, 07:51:56 PM
I am thinking some people are going to want to have connection to internet, electricity, and plumbing. Plumbing especially.

Will we want beds or hammocks? I would prefer a choice...

I would lovely have a hammock instead of bed, or lay in grass :P

Txura Rolyu

Well I am thinking that werever we end up there will be some sort of mosquito or bug that will bother people. I would love to nap in a hammock and then sleep the nights away in a bed with a bug net, just to save my skin.  :P
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

'Itan Atxur

I think hammocks and beds should both be fine.

But don't we already have quite a few topics regarding our lifestyle plan?

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Txura Rolyu

Perhaps we should consolidate. Find what has been mostly agreed on and post it here then we can vote on it.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on August 03, 2011, 08:37:14 PM
Well I am thinking that werever we end up there will be some sort of mosquito or bug that will bother people. I would love to nap in a hammock and then sleep the nights away in a bed with a bug net, just to save my skin.  :P

Why not drape the bug net over the hammock? ;)

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on August 04, 2011, 01:32:53 AM

Or have a hammock area surrounded by a bug net tent? ;)

Nìmwey

I was the one who requested this topic to be brought up again.
I asked the following thread to be unlocked again, but Tonbogiri thought it would be better with a new thread :): http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/how-much-navi/15/

One of my concerns is that any "official" Avatar/Na'vi-association might make people taking us seriously that much harder. Such as the clan name being in Na'vi (which is after all a fictional language). I don't want to seem disrespectful och that idea, just give you something to think about.

No matter how much we fans love the movie, and most people on this site love the language, most people will not take us seriously at all. People moving out into the wild and giving up the normal modern lifestyle are considered "crazy" enough as it is, I'm afraid. :-\
And the last thing a group like this wants is bad media attention.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Quote from: Nargacuga667 on August 04, 2011, 02:04:39 AM
Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on August 04, 2011, 01:32:53 AM

Or have a hammock area surrounded by a bug net tent? ;)

Ooh. I like the way you think. ;D

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Ma Nìmwey, I agree that we should distance ourselves from Avatar/the Na'vi, it could cause all sorts of problems. Personally I would prefer to be unnoticed by the general media, they often get the wrong idea.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

archaic

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story ..... journalists motto, allegedly.

OK, so .....
Bug net is important, you don't want malaria, ascariasis, bottfly larvae, Chagas Disease, Dengue Fever, Encephalitis, Filariasis, Lyme Disease, Leishmaniasis, Sleeping Sickness, Typhus Fever, Yellow Fever, etc, etc.
Internet, I think that's a must have.
Pluming, anyone who needs a shower everyday is not going to fly with this.
Flush toilet, is a luxury. Take a spade, make sure its out of sight and well away and down hill from your water source.
Toilet paper, you can use newspapers, but it's not so nice, leaves are pretty variable. There's a reason why even backwoods folk take the time and expense to get the real stuff. And using your left hand? Don't even go there!
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tonbogiri

Heh heh, thanks Archaic.

Nice of you to keep this light-hearted. Ideally, we will not be settling in an area with high rates of mosquito disease. Unfortunately, they do like the equator, which is where we're headed!
Mosquito nets may be handy after all. Good suggestion!

Plumbing would be very difficult. It is more than possible to wash without a shower, you just end up a little colder. And if need be, we can heat water over a fire first...

In terms of toilet use, anyone who has had to relieve themselves whilst in the wild will understand your points. "Basic training" will include how to use the bush toilet!

Äteya

We could just dig a really deep hole and have some sort of woven frame thing.

Txura Rolyu

Quote from: Äteya on August 09, 2011, 06:16:14 PM
We could just dig a really deep hole and have some sort of woven frame thing.

One consolidating where wastes go is rather smelly.

Second consolidating waste is not normal and the enviroment will take a beating.

Nìmwey

So, like I've said, it was this topic: http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/how-much-navi/15/ ...that I wanted to bring to life. ;)

So... how much Na'vi? Remember that even if you tried to incorporate the culture as much as possible, it would still be a lot of the culture you've grown up with in it. To change everything you think and how you behave is not easy, and is it really necessary, just to resemble the Na'vi?

And things like the language, mentioning Avatar and/or Na'vi on the official webpage, or even painting yourselves blue - you do what you want to of course, but I really think that no outsider would take people seriously at all if they saw that "Not only do they want to live out in the wild (which most people consider insane enough as it is), but they are also heavily inspired by a movie".
Again, like I said, no matter how much we fans love the movie, most people will not look upon that connection with kind eyes.

Tonbogiri

From my conversations with wilderness conservation societies, there are several things that apparently we should focus on if we are to be respected by the outside world.

The most principle of these is the idea of increasing awareness. We need to be seen to be encouraging sustainable living, carbon neutrality, and conservation of the natural world. According to the Australians (naturephilosophy.com), the best way for us to do this would be to run training and education courses on our site. We would also be playing another conservation angle - that of indigenous skills. This is an area often overlooked, and we would be appreciated by the anthropological world for doing so.

So how Na'Vi? Well, we can be as "tribal" as we like - and among ourselves, we can certainly use little things like occasional use of Na'Vi lingo ;) - we just need to tone it down for the public.

And if asked what inspired us - we shouldn't say Avatar as our primary source. Certainly we could talk about the "Dream" which the writers and designers envisioned, and talk about recreating it on Earth, but we should look for other sources. For me, it is a combination of ancient ways of tribal peoples and the beauty of the natural world which inspired me. That and, of course, our blue friends!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

exellent info you have there, Tonbogiri :)

hope we getting this finished soon, but we need some training first, but where are we going to do that? which location here on Earth?

Nìmwey

http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/speaking-navi-8001/
Wow. 28 to 3? (And I'm one of those three.)

Since many members from "the old days" are not here anymore and there are many new members, I'd just want to check in on how the situation looks now.
BTW, when did this project even have 28 committed members? ???
So that poll is kind of "fake" I guess, but anyway.

My opinion is just that speaking Na'vi - a fictional, incomplete language - when everyone (obviously) already speak english, feels like such a... "detour" if you know what I mean, unnecessary. :-\

'Itan Atxur

I'm one of the 6 "don't care" voters. I was originally a yes, but there are far more important things to focus on than the language.

As for training, I think we're all going to have to handle that ourselves. There are many great courses out there that you can take that even give collage credit.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE