Physical Standards

Started by guest2859, February 17, 2010, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

I say we can go with physical standards. Everyone should check this out:

AFPT

Basically its a collection of charts, for USAF standards. Everyone who wants to join the tribe should read this over, print out your age group, and starting working up. The more points you get, the better you're doing.

Txontaw

That's sweet! I'll definitely check this out.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Letxuma Swizaw

Lucky for me i already know where a 1.5 mile run is from my house, to the old folks home and back. but what's the bike test? don't you need an B.O. meter?
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

The old Uriuujìn

Just to clarify- If you don't meet these requirements, you are still allowed in the Tribe, correct?

Eywa ayngahu

-Uriuujìn

Col Quaritch

rather interesting question for sure, what of older tribe members or those with some physcial limatation I dont mean 100% wheel chair bound but good Lord I seem some of them out perfome so called abled bodied people too. but it dose raise a good question

Txontaw

Why would it? This is just something to check out, and be used as a guide. Obviously you should be in good shape, but you don't have to be in perfect shape. A week or two as a hunter/gatherer will whip you into the best shape of your life.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

bagget00

I have a bike tour around my town that is about 9 miles long total. I just don't get to do it much anymore.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Coyote

Physical standards tests are probably best only for those who intend to fulfill certain jobs: hunter, warrior, etc for example. A chubby, Doritos-munching lazy type may like to think of himself as a mighty hunter, but until he can pass the PT test, it remains in the realm of dreams.

As for older types, well, you can be in good physical fitness as you age; also, the standards of expectations goes down as you get older. You reach 60+, just showing up for the test alive is almost enough to let you pass!  ;) :D

But otherwise, people with disabilities or just not physically motivated are still just as "Na'vi patriotic" (so to speak) as anyone else, they just won't be able to do certain flashy things.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Txon Taronyu

Well we need to be fit but we will quickly get fitter when we are there

Also on this test what is a pass over 50
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

MOUNTAINBANSHEE2

I Have a question. If i was to help with the building and maintaning of the tribe, I wouldn't be running. This would mean I probrably wouldn't need to do the test?

Just a thought

James Harwood
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Nothing is greater than self peace, Because when self peace is obtained the you are as great as you wanna be. James Harwood age 13.

Can't  spell, Get Firefox web browser free (inbuilt spell checker)

Txontaw

Quote from: MOUNTAINBANSHEE2 on February 18, 2010, 06:53:40 PM
I Have a question. If i was to help with the building and maintaning of the tribe, I wouldn't be running. This would mean I probrably wouldn't need to do the test?

Just a thought

James Harwood

This isn't a test. It's not required. It's just a guideline, to help you get into shape.

Mindas Arran

There is no reason why the average person can't pass such an easy physical test.

I'm 33 and I still run a 3 mile in 25mins or less. That's after a full day of working in a factory with OT.

Txon Taronyu

Ya its actualy really easy like I could do it right now and come back and not be that tired

guest2859

Well, those charts don't tell you how to do it, just what to do. Like, for my age group, [25-], the goal is 90 points. But since I'm not military, I can just go to 50-75. Though I want to be a hunter so I have to get in shape by then. [long time]

Mindas Arran

I didn't realize it was Air Force Standards... that's even easier. Eight week training plan? For a mile and a half? A person could train up to that in a week.

I'd suggest either the Marines test since it involves some pull-ups and running and then add the push-ups section from the Army APFT.

Letxuma Swizaw

Quote from: Mindas Arran on February 20, 2010, 02:21:09 AM
I didn't realize it was Air Force Standards... that's even easier. Eight week training plan? For a mile and a half? A person could train up to that in a week.

I'd suggest either the Marines test since it involves some pull-ups and running and then add the push-ups section from the Army APFT.

Considering they are training you to kill people and live in the sh**iest of situations and this will be a lot less taxing than war someone shouldn't even have to meat these standards necessarily to be somewhat helpful. I still think however that i would definitely prefer if everyone met these standards at least.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Coyote

Air Force standards are the most lax of the armed forces, and should be considered the "minimum acceptable" standards for people who wish to engage in physical endeavors in the tribe. If you want to do harder level stuff, feel free, but the USAF PT test is the "ground floor" for acceptance.

If you can't meet that standard, then you probably have no business trying to be Tarzan.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Letxuma Swizaw

It's not like you'll ever have to lift anything heavier out there than 100 lbs at the most (if you felt like bringing a log back to camp for whatever reason) so i don't really see how physical standards for war are going to be applied similarly to living in the forest. Which my tiny enviro science teacher has been doing since she was 20, she couldn't do 15 push-ups ina minute. I'm not shooting down the relevance of physical standards all-together I'm just saying anything other than cardio isn't really that big of deal. Although i will say that the weight standards should definitely be met.

EDIT: sorry I'm an A**hole, i just like to argue for the sake of argument. I don't actually know what my opinions are on this quite yet.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Coyote

Well, the thing to bear in mind is that these are not "physical training standards for war", since in my 13+ years in the Army and a combat tour in Iraq I never saw anyone doing push-ups in a war zone as a means of survival. What armed forces PT tests do is measure your general, overall health and endurance in a series of exercises that can be timed and recorded as a general assessment tool.

The idea is, it stands to reason that if you lack the upper body strength to do a certain number of push-ups,  then chances are you won't be able to do other upper-body type things that may be needed of you: carrying a heavy rucksack on a march; carrying a wounded soldier away from danger, etc.

The actual way to train for war is more closely outlined in obstacle/confidence courses, where you move rapidly over rough terrain and through, over, or around set obstacles while carrying your equipment, and marksmanship.

The PT test is just there more as a diagnostic tool, for which it is pretty good at.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Letxuma Swizaw

like i said argument for the sake of argument. :D
Oe Skxawnghu längu.