Real life tribe chat room

Started by 'Itan Atxur, March 12, 2010, 09:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanaki

Yeah Like me when I had XP :D Vista look! But Now Seven rules ;D
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

guest2859

I can do Se7en too, just wait about 50 minutes when my Dial-up downloads the theme.

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 20, 2010, 09:05:53 PM
Please excuse my lack of computer knowledge but what would be a good power supply for a gtx275? I know my current one is no good and I'm short on cash.

Google is your friend ;). I use 1200W which is slightly excessive
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

OMG... that skin so much not look like vista.... Sorry. For using it during more than 6 years already, I'm very good at spotting the difference ;) It is not even similar to the Windows Vista alpha version. It use the same colours, but doesn't look anything like the real thing...

Unfortunately, what made Vista a great OS was all in those details that you don't have just by changing the skin of a now 9 years old operating system:  Tagging, 32bits-256px icons, instant search, a breadcrumb bar, file filtering, SMB 2.0, hot-plug SATA support, native USB 2.0 and wifi support, a desktop window manager, etc. How can you say that XP is better when Vista had all of those things? And don't I see you say that UAC is annoying because EVERY other operating system that has little bit of dignity had a similar feature way before XP was released!

Yes XP WAS a good operating system, but it did it time a while ago. Anyway, to answer your question 'Itan Atxur, a 300w PSU is enough, if you don't plan on getting anywhere of your good old desktop :P Just take into consideration that the GTX 275 use around 55w on idle and goes up to 235w when you push it. You best bet is to go with a dual rail 650w 80+ certified Antec PSU and reserve one of the rails for the graphic card. You should not have any issue with that, as long as you don't do over-clocking.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

guest2859

My brother gets mad when you say you're going with Vista, he said it's too buggy and crashes easily. Is that true on your end?

Esmond

I love vista because it makes it easier to find and deal with viruses hands on. As for the uac just turn it off.

Woah......1200W?!?! What are you packing, crossfires and SLis?

Help preserve Nature.

'Itan Atxur

I tried google but the results are overwhelming and often times contradict themselves. But my current 300 isn't doing the trick. Is there such thing as a decent 400-600 psu around $50?

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Not at all! In fact, the alpha version was more stable than Windows XP on my old computer. Not only more stable but also faster. Vista is not an ugly OS, it works very well, just make sure all your hardware is compatible and you will not see any issue with it. I'll give you a little secret. Windows Vista doesn't crash... ever... if you ever see a BSOD, 99.9999999% of the time, it is caused by either badly written drivers or bad hardware and doesn't have anything to do with the OS. That is for one simple reason: User-mode vs Kernel-mode drivers. In XP about 90% of the drivers are running in kernel mode. That means that if a driver crash, the whole system goes down with it and you get a nice BSOD. In Vista, 90% of the drivers are running in user-mode. It is a little slower because there is more command to execute but, the result is that if a driver crash, it can simply reload itself without shutting down the system.

Here's a little illustration to explain the difference:
A kernel mode driver crash: http://forums.epixplx.com/uploads/54_dsc01003.jpg
And a user mode driver crash: https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/attachment/16661/Graphics+Driver+Crash.jpg

If you get on simpler glitches, like not responding software, this is also a little bit different. In windows XP, every time you drag a window, all your software enter the not responding mode while redrawing each frame which isn't always fast and give you nice "window trails" on your desktop. Because of that, Windows XP is a heck of a more tolerant on when to display if a software as stopped responding or not. It also only display a little text in the title bar and doesn't do anything really visible.

In Vista, it's a little different. Since there's a Desktop Window Manager (or DWM) doing the rendering of your windows, it doesn't need to refresh your desktop every time you move something around. Actually, the refresh process that was previously done on the CPU is now even done with the GPU which means that your applications doesn't "hang" while you're moving them around. The DWM only need to recompose the final image with the screenshot it got's from every window on your desktop. Because of that, Windows Vista will be very picky about when an application stop to respond. And since there's an external application doing the rendering, it can tell you that it did in a way more effective way, which is greying out the whole window.

Here's the difference:
XP - http://free.xiaoyenzi.com/images/notresponding.jpg
Vista - http://i40.tinypic.com/301pwld.jpg

When Microsoft released Windows 7, they didn't changed anything about it... anything at all. They only made it so that it tells you that it's loading earlier in the process than Vista did so that you don't have the reflex of clicking in the window while the process is busy doing something else thus triggering the not responding mode. After all, 95% of those crashes are simply caused by impatient users running badly programmed softwares which doesn't use a multi-threaded UI. Because of that, when the software is working, it can't refresh the UI quickly enough and the DWM think it crashed.

That's how it works! Crashes in Windows Vista literally are optical illusions ;)

EDIT: About the PSU: It's important to pay the price for a good PSU. It is the most important piece of your computer, even more than your motherboard. If you have a bad quality or not powerful enough PSU, you'll have a lot of instabilities and crashes. That's without saying hardware issues on the long run!
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

'Itan Atxur

I was afraid of that. I simply do t have the money for one. Looks like I gotta take it easy on my gpu. No crysis for me :(

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Esmond on March 20, 2010, 11:55:46 PM

In the (near) future, yes ;D. Is just what came with my computer. Still at least it is futureproofed ;D.

I imagine a good 600W would do for you´Itan, just get a good name that isn't going to fail :D

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

Nanaki

I have a 650W with a Geforce GTX260+ 896Mo

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...

Quote from: fnua atxkxe on March 21, 2010, 07:16:16 AM
Quote from: Esmond on March 20, 2010, 11:55:46 PM

In the (near) future, yes ;D. Is just what came with my computer. Still at least it is futureproofed ;D.

I imagine a good 600W would do for you´Itan, just get a good name that isn't going to fail :D

I hope you planned your electric circuit because a standard 15 amp circuit at 110v is just over 1650w. So if your compute pull 1100w, you'll want to be sure that you don't use to much power around it  ::)

Fnua Atxkxe

Don't worry I have a surge protector. I wouldn't endanger my baby :)

It's not about your baby that I'm worrying, it's about your house catching fire if the breaker doesn't do it's job ;)

Fnua Atxkxe

As long as I can run out and save my baby its fine ;D

guest2859

Say you have the fastest and best computer in the world, and you have a son. The building is burning, what do you save first?

Nanaki

Quote from: Toruk Txonä on March 21, 2010, 06:16:38 PM
Say you have the fastest and best computer in the world, and you have a son. The building is burning, what do you save first?

both ^.^ The son in the computer and I left the building xD ::) :D

guest2859

Who said they were in the burning building?

Nanaki

Quote from: Toruk Txonä on March 21, 2010, 06:18:12 PM
Who said they were in the burning building?

hmmm no comments. You got me ... :D ::)

Fnua Atxkxe

Quote from: Toruk Txonä on March 21, 2010, 06:16:38 PM

My solution is don't have a son, complicates matters and the computer might be about being overshadowed. ;D