Another newbie

Started by Ftxavang Pamtseotu, October 20, 2010, 09:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Thought I'd take a moment and make a post in the introductions section.

I've been meaning/wanting to attempt to learn parts of the Na'vi language since I saw the movie in theaters. I remember thinking to myself "man it would be pretty awesome if one could actually speak Na'vi."  I also remember thinking quite a bit that there probably isn't enough of the language developed, because it was just developed for the movie specifically and even more so for specific lines. That was until I saw something on Good Morning America about communities popping up around learning the language and I believe even classes being offered at USC (or at least talk about offering classes in it).

So after watching the movie last night I thought I would see if I could find any online resources for learning at least a little bit. And be hold a huge online community devoted to it. :P Lucky me. Im already beginning to see where there may be difficulties on picking things up. Though even in the movie I followed specific words and short sentences (especially after 4 viewings when it was first in theaters), I see there is going to be some issues with some of the structuring. Anywho Im rambling.

Im 27 years old, grew up around/in the Appalachia Mountains in Tennessee. Quite a bit of out doors survival training, etc etc etc. Though can't say I've ever had any experience in tracking. I say this only because I saw someone talking about their experience in Australia. Though I'd be interested in their experience with that Tribe if they actually get to participate in Tribe life.

Again I ramble. I look forward to learning and getting to know everyone.

Tonbogiri

Kaltxì ma Tsanten,

I am not sure from your first post of you are here for the learning of the language or for the tribe, or both. I hope you have read our mission statement, found here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/mission-statement-(1st-draft)/.

On the other hand, if you have...
Welcome to the tribe  ;D! I'm glad people are still coming because of Avatar, it is the reason we first started this!

While I'm pretty much a novice Na'Vi speaker myself, the wilderness skills are my thing. If you want to learn them, then you should find some sort of wilderness training school near you - the courses are great fun, and you learn both the skills and the thinking behind them.

We are still in the planning process right now, and will not be fully set up for several years. The best way you can help us out is by putting you voice into the forums and giving your ideas or opinions.

Tell me Tsanten, are you interested in joining the tribe once it is set up, or are you just thrilled to be helping us out?

'Til we meet again,
Oel ngati Kameie, Eywa ngahu!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Quote from: Tonbogiri on October 20, 2010, 04:05:54 PM
Kaltxì ma Tsanten,

I am not sure from your first post of you are here for the learning of the language or for the tribe, or both. I hope you have read our mission statement, found here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/mission-statement-(1st-draft)/.

On the other hand, if you have...
Welcome to the tribe  ;D! I'm glad people are still coming because of Avatar, it is the reason we first started this!

While I'm pretty much a novice Na'Vi speaker myself, the wilderness skills are my thing. If you want to learn them, then you should find some sort of wilderness training school near you - the courses are great fun, and you learn both the skills and the thinking behind them.

We are still in the planning process right now, and will not be fully set up for several years. The best way you can help us out is by putting you voice into the forums and giving your ideas or opinions.

Tell me Tsanten, are you interested in joining the tribe once it is set up, or are you just thrilled to be helping us out?

'Til we meet again,
Oel ngati Kameie, Eywa ngahu!

Irayo Tonbogiri (I think that's correct for saying thank you for the welcome)

Oh wow, I clearly over looked that... Basically I scanned over the sections within the forums and came straight here after checking out the apps section. :P

This truly intrigues me to be honest. Though personally not entirely sure if I could actually join the Tribe, for several reasons, but one big one would simply be do to my career and life goals. I hold three degrees in music, two bachelors and a masters. Im pursuing a collegiate teaching career and professional orchestral/jazz career playing in combination. Though lord knows that I would absolutely love to visit the Tribe as much as possible if you guys welcome guests. Though obviously not just anyone.

I am extremely interested in learning the language, but I would also be extremely interested in contributing to the development and brainstorming of the development of the Tribe.

Now as far as wilderness survival and all that entails is concerned I feel Im pretty educated an proficient. Having grown in the heart of the Smokey Mountains, beautiful wildlife in some of its most raw presentations is right here in my back yard. I grew up in some of the more rural areas of East Tennessee, farm land etc. I often worked on farms, and as many young boys/men I was a cub/boy scout, where I received wilderness survival training. However, I also am a soldier (about to be former) in the US Army. So I have also received additional survival training via the military, in addition to what I learned growing up spending a lot of time in the woods/mountains as well as what I learned in my younger days as a boy scout. Though honestly, I need to re-teach myself some of the lashing techniques from way back in my scouting days, and would love to learn trap making/tracking skills. At least tracking skills that are beyond my own current knowledge in it, which isn't a lot.

Though I do have copies of just about every single military training manual, from combat to survival manuals that the military puts out or has put out. Which describes and illustrates things like tracking and trapping technique. Which I think might be something the Tribe and those learning survival/wilderness skills should look in to obtaining and reading/practicing. Most of the training manuals the US military use are available for purchase by the general public and pretty cheap. I think that would be a good resource for those wanting to learn that have next to no experience with such endeavors.

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

And I just realized I went to the wrong Introduction area originally. This was the first "Introduction" section I saw... I do apologize to you guys for breaking protocol. Oops. Though Im glad I did, though if the mods need to take it off that is fine. However, Im not entirely ruling out not joining the tribe. :P Just don't foresee it at the moment.