Leaving Things Behind

Started by Tsyeymzi, February 13, 2010, 02:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeynari

Here's how: find a rock of fairly large size with a rough surface (granite, quartz or similar works well). Break off the sticks and the branch you need (break the branch near the trunk so it splits into two), then you start rubbing them against the rock. It'll work as a natural sandpaper. You can also shape the rock by banging another rock against it to cause sharp splinters which you can use for carving. It's time-consuming and pointless unless you're in a real survival situation, but eventually you'll have a fairly pointy stick (drill part), a branch with a flat surface to use as tinderboard and another stick which you bend into a bow-shape and tie with a string made from vegetable fibers. You can also roll the drill stick between your hands. No matter where you are there will always be enough dry grass/leaves/brushwood/etc somewhere. Look beneath rocks, close to cliff walls, in cavities in or beneath dead trees etc.

Flint and quartz is very hard to get a fire out of, because you need to keep the sparks going long enough to actually ignite the tinder material. Bowdrilling is a steadier method, the drilling movement will cause sawdust to gather and the friction will ignite it, and in turn the tinder. It's also easier to find the material for.

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-bowfire.html - Here's a walkthrough of the fire-making procedure itself.

Fishing arrows are tricky unless you carve them out of bone, nets and fish traps are easier. Or harpoons, if you're going for big fishes and are good at stalking and waiting.
Proud member of the Revolutionists.

Eywayä lì'u

I think we're getting too much off-topic here, make a new thread about the survival skills stuff :)
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Txon Taronyu

Actually I have made a fire out of quatz and flint not that hard lot less effort needed then bow but bow still works

but nice description of how, you also seem to know a lot about wilderness survival  ;D
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

guest2859

I have the easy way: Get 1 fire going, and transfer it. But starting the actual fire would be an issue with me.

Unilfwewyu

I am the kind of person who does not need anybody to live with, that doesn't need anything to live with. I could honestly say Ican leave everything behind because the fact is that in a few years, I will be leaving everything behind anyways (Im not saying this in the way "leaving everything behind" by moving out of my house starting my life like most people but rather "leaving everything behind as in I don't want any contact with anybody, I am getting out of this country and bringing nothing with me. Starting anew.

I lived 8 years by myself, no friends, "family". I am pretty sure I can do the rest of my life alone as well.

+ The fact I am doing some research to some big projects just helps the cause of leaving everything behind ;).

En bref : I can honestly say I can leave everything behind.
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Txon Taronyu

Wait you lived out in that woods for 8 years by your self?  ???
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Unilfwewyu

No, I lived pretty much by myself in my parents house. If you ask them what I like and dislike, they won't know what to answer you because they know nothing about me.
Oel ngati kameie.

I live in a world where dreams are controlled by others, not by yourself. I live in a world where people choose what you become, and you have no choice whatsoever. This will change. My dreams will become reality. And that, my friends, is a promise.

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

for some reason thats funny ;D

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

antila

I don't know about the rest of you, but I want to join the tribe specifically because I WANT to leave everything behind.

Nìmwey

Quote from: antila on February 18, 2012, 03:23:40 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I want to join the tribe specifically because I WANT to leave everything behind.
I second that. ;) More or less, at least.

davidflower7782

So far, I believe we have experienced this discussion in Tribe discussion or perhaps one of these other threads. It had been a multi webpage argument as well as it turned out to be particularly something like. Big TV for Avatar Motion picture Night. (Every night) A comp for contact to the outside planet and additionally to this site to maintain recruiting. A mobile and also at minimum sokme form of vehicular travel for emergencies.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: antila on February 18, 2012, 03:23:40 PM

By the way (and since the forum is back), why exactly do you want to leave everything behind? Just asking...

I am organizing this in such way people are not forced to do so, and could still keep easy contact outside, and even go back elsewhere from time to time. So those who want to be permanent members, can, and those who aren't sure or just may cannot be permanently here won't have issues participating.

jaydentyler25

I have to say which in my imaginings in this camp, I can't see you residing without any some type of technologies. You would want prescription medicine, radio's/SAT Telephones, internet (satelite) to be able to regulate some connection to the outdoors world and to handle this site everyone is devoloping in. Also for communications when a specific crisis arises for instance an individual has pwned from a bear also as needs medivac.
Due to the fact for interests and interests, well yes I think for a bing search engine will deffinately feel some things which I skip, along with I can guaruntee a few individuals will turn upwards and also then leave soon after a few months.

Tsmuktengan

I have never said that the project would turn it's back to 'normal' means of well-being and communication. I did repeat this several times, it is impossible to not take in account safety, health and communication needs, on both short term (for those who experience for a on short time only) and long term (for those who want to stay for a long time).

You are right. And we don't want to go back to prehistory on all this stuff, this would be complete nonesense. You should look for older topics where many issues were discussed already.

jaydentyler25

I have will never reported which the plan might possibly turn it's in return to 'normal' means of health along with correspondence. I did reiterate this many times, it is impossible not to take in account well-being, health because well as dialogue specifications, in concurrently short-term (for those whom experience for some kind of in quick time only) and also very long term (for the people whom would like to remain for a long time).