Leaving Things Behind

Started by Tsyeymzi, February 13, 2010, 02:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txontaw

Yeah, I used to be a hardcore flash gamer, visiting Kong 24/7, and now, I barely go on there.

I think it's because I replaced one addiction with another. :P
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

MOUNTAINBANSHEE

I'm a "sometimes" gamer. I only game on avarage 1-2 hours a day
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Ta'em Swizaw

If you think about it, the main reason many gamers play games (besides the entertainment value) in the first place is because it is an escape from reality. When i'm playing Modern Warfare 2 or Mass Effect, I become a character in an amazing world that I could never reach.  You must consider that once you are immersed in the tribe you will almost always be busy doing something to benefit yourself and/or others. Because of this, reality simply becomes the kind of thing you would play in a game, or watch in a movie.
"The rain to the wind said,
'You push and I'll pelt.'
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt."

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

bagget00

Yeah, basically we are imersing ourselves in a world that we wish was more like the one which would never happen. We are living the video game.

L.A.R.P. Live Avatar Role Playing
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Eywayä lì'u

lol I laughed so much at that vid, especially the tsaheylu at the end! But in all honesty, I use tech a lot but I become very determined in whatever I do so I believe I could easily lose it all, I have before. But I think family will be hard to leave. But I suppose the tribe will be our family.
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

sezawte

I personally don't think i'll have a problem giving up stuff like video games, and for people that would have trouble this might not be the best idea for them.

A far more important aspect to my mind is how exactly do you say to your family and friends "right i'm off to live with a bunch of people i met on the internet, don't bother contacting me. See ya!"

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Interested in a camping trip in the UK? Find out more Here

'Itan Atxur

Well, the way I see it, we will NOT be completely out of contact with family and friends. Many of us seem to agree that we will have a computer with internet access but we haven't discussed what it will be used for outside of organizing the summer camp and keeping in touch with learnnavi.org. I'd be SHOCKED if we decided we weren't allowed to occasionally contact friends and family.

Also, this has been mentioned at least once, I think we'll be allowed to take vacations from the tribe AND family members will be allowed to visit us.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

sezawte

That all seems reasonable but I still get the feeling my parents might be a bit shocked and more than a bit annoyed if i just packed my bags and left one day and I only contacted them occasionally

'Itan Atxur

I know. That is something that's going to make this tough (especially because I'm going to be asking them for money!!). I don't know how I'm going to go about doing it but I plan on doing it within the next few weeks, maybe even days. Just so the idea can grow on them. I'll be telling all my friends right off the bat.

sezawte

Be careful about telling your parents shocking news whilst you're still dependant on them, it might turn around and bite you. My personal idea is basically to leave it as late as possible and then basically jus say "right this is want I want, I'm leaving tomorrow"

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: sezawte on February 16, 2010, 09:16:06 AM
Be careful about telling your parents shocking news whilst you're still dependant on them, it might turn around and bite you. My personal idea is basically to leave it as late as possible and then basically jus say "right this is want I want, I'm leaving tomorrow"

Fortunately, I'm no longer dependent on my parents (the money I'd be asking for would be for the tribe). Also, my brother took the route you're talking about. It tore my family apart for a while. It took a LOT of talking on my part as a mediator between both sides to get them to talk again (and yeah, now my brother actually lives with them again! lol). I'm not saying this is how it would be with your family too. Every family is different. I'm just saying be careful!

sezawte

Do you think it would be a good idea to start up a new thread with discussion about the best way for us minors to approach our parents with this?

'Itan Atxur

I don't know. This seems like a fine topic to me. Why would we need a new one?

Letxuma Swizaw

Here you go...

you have four years (probably more) to get ready. you will graduate and be out of the house already it wouldn't be that hard to just go. it would however be hard to tell them. there is no right way to do that no one knows your parents like you and in the end they will understand you they may not understand your decision but they will always care for you. Besides you can come with me on christmas to celebrate a week of consumerism with them. :D

EDIT:

I forgot to add that mine will be excused as a study. because i am majoring in environmental science i can say "mom i'm going on an expedition to blah" or "we're going to study at blah" "and i won't be back for a long time. you can send messages to blah (our contact probably Uriuujìn) I'll see you on the holidays loveyoubye.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

agreed. id rather leave the house in 4 years, finish collage, then go to the tribe and not tell them anything then tell them now and have to deal with their "your not going" speech.

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

'Itan Atxur

Blech! I'm so not looking forward to telling them! Heck, I just got a call from them saying they want to "talk" to me (and not the "hey come over for dinner" kind of talk). Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. It's gonna make for a bad day though. :(

Letxuma Swizaw

Quote from: sezawte on February 16, 2010, 09:10:45 AM
That all seems reasonable but I still get the feeling my parents might be a bit shocked and more than a bit annoyed if i just packed my bags and left one day and I only contacted them occasionally

sorry to break it to your parents but thats how it works no matter which route you take in life... As long as that path isn't living with them. :P
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Letxuma Swizaw

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 16, 2010, 11:27:38 AM
Blech! I'm so not looking forward to telling them! Heck, I just got a call from them saying they want to "talk" to me (and not the "hey come over for dinner" kind of talk). Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. It's gonna make for a bad day though. :(

Good luck,ma tsman. i feel for you. It's almost as bad as a "mom i think im gay/into horses/furry/gaian/don't believe in god" speech i would imagine.

ohh and i'm not into horses. :D
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

(finally finished reading the whole thread, lol)

A lot of things to talk about in here but on the discussion on hand I had some thoughts to share:

Personally, I don't think the whole "breaking it to your parents" thing will be an issue for at least the generation that it would matter to on these forums. This tribe is going to be at least a few years in the making and those first couple of starting years are going to be hard and tough and it's going to take a lot real work. As much as it's great to see young people enthusiastic about the tribe, I think it'll be wise to leave it to some able-bodied men and women for starters. Then as issues get ironed out and things get rolling, inviting people of all ages to join. As much as they might idolize the idea, most children/teenagers are not up for day-in and day-out manual labor. And anyone not spending every day working just makes the load harder on the rest.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

sezawte

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 16, 2010, 11:27:38 AM

Best of luck ma tsmukan