The Bow Project - 2011

Started by guest2859, February 21, 2011, 09:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Atstunwi

Where? ??? I can't find it. Could you post me a link? ;)

'Itan Atxur

This is the same topic. I already moved it

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Deeh

Well, this is very cool, I can try (:
-Deeh

If I say anything wrong, please, correct me.

Eywa Ngahu (:

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

I need to make a bow somehow for my Na'vi Halloween/photoshoot costume. but I have, like, no materials or tools available. ><
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Nantxe'lan

since i assume you possess knifes, you could "pretend" to build a bow - just skipping the majority of steps. i.e: take a tree sapling or a fresh cut branch (about 1" thick and 5' long), then try to split into two "half cirlce shaped staves" - use a small hatchet or a hammer with a (metal) wegde or very durable knife. you can use thicker branches but then you might have to split them into 4 instead of 2 pieces.
you might want to carve the middel section a bit thinner so it looks more like a handle and make a notch on both ends of the stave.

next use a piece of cordage or sinew to make the bowstring - about 1/5 shorter than the stave, but be sure it can take some pull.
pull it on the flat side of your "bow" since the round side will endure more stress.

now decorate as you please.

if you wnat to fully draw the bow, you might need to tiller the bow a bit, i.e. carving the flat side of both bow arms so they become flatter. the flatter they are, the easier they bend. since you don't want to actually shoot this thing (at least not with a pin point accuracy) you don't have to care about the loss of pull weight or a asymmetrical tillering.

as an alternative to the saplings and branches you could even use a wooden broomstick. but then you either have to tiller the bow quite thin or you have to "boil" the wood and clamp it into shape, so it allready has a curve, since it will most likely break if you try to pull the string on - or it just won't bow at al.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/