Exams - they disgust me...

Started by Tonbogiri, January 14, 2011, 04:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonbogiri

January, said to be the second most depressing month in the year (March ringing in first place here), and sadly also time for my AS level resits. Spending ours reading books, writing up notes, practicing questions - but it strikes me that almost all of the knowledge gained in this way is not only geared towards "passing a test" rather than actual learning, but also completely dependent on modern technology. If we run out of electricity one day, then the last two years of my life have been almost completely pointless!

Other things I learn are astounding - to know the exact positioning of the miniscule electrons that orbit atoms. To know these things is truely an incredible thing - but the world needs to understand both the power and the futility of its knowledge, as well as the narrow edge humanity walks. Particularly now, the slightest brush could send us tumbling away - and if we have learned how wings work, but are unable to fly, then what will we do?

Food for thought in this dark time.

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Tonbogiri

Hmmm.

Does everyone have exams these days? Where is everyone?

Nantxe'lan

perhaps they're all too buisy due to exams...  ;D
but you're right. actually the whole global education is directed towards modern technologies and the further development of it. despite being totally confusing.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

Yayo

Well, I don't resent exams as much as you seem to. I feel that if you've studied enough, shown genuine interest in the work and understand how to use every concept, why should you worry?

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Tonbogiri

Yayo, you have a point. It is silly to resent something just because you struggle with it...for me, I assume it is because I fail to grasp the point of them. I realise that higher education is a benefit, even with the tribe, but the reality setting in has not truely happened yet.

Despite the fact that I am applying for uni this year. Erk! ;)

Yayo

I cannot wait for my University Education. I love school but hate the social aspect.. I am at school to learn, not to belong to a clique..

Yayo on facebook

Tonbogiri

Precisely, ma Yayo.

Personally, I look forward to the freedom of thought - in high school, you are kept to strict cirriculums and mark schemes, which douse the flame of creativity in a deluge of conformity. Pretty deep, no?

Yayo

You're also unable to learn the complexities of subjects, the curriculum is designed to suit people of average intelligence; thus, those who want to learn more must do so through different avenues..

Yayo on facebook

guest2859

(Failing Precal/Chemistry due to semester switch)

Yeah, I just got done with exams, and passed those two classes with A's, then I got back and went into a hellhole of work.

Tonbogiri

Okay then - exams over - for me at least. Lets get going... how much can I get done in the next week?

Tonbogiri

Hmm. Despite recent headcount, still lack of people on here. The darned location thing really has a habit of slowing everything up...maybe we could start a second discussion while we are waiting on key details (such as my land agent, who is on holiday)? Just for something to do!

I would prefer that fundraising be considered now. We may need to start saving up already! A thread I started at Christmas, which got NO RESPONSES AT ALL!! can be found here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/tribe-ideas/funsraising/

Uriuujìn

I agree-we really should start thinking about money for this...seeing as it is going to be AMAZINGLY expensive

Earth Mother guide your steps

-Uriuujìn
All of existence is based on the balance of energy, the exchange of good and evil, light and dark, life and death. The earth goddess teaches us that the latter balance is the most important. She takes no sides, but loves all life.
Without balance, Existence would crumble, and cease to be.
-Uriuujìn

Txantslusam Skxawng

And the more you learn, the higher your paycheck for your job can be ^^

But I just had my PTA's, which counts as a compensation point for the exams, and for all I haven't learned, just looked through them the day before I had it and when I was done with them, I felt good about them.

When my parents ask me if I am nervous, I say no, because I don't think about, I am mostly nervous about hearing what point I got for it :P

But I got my exams in May, in the first week I just got two subjects, one exams on one day and the other one on another day in that first week. And in the second week I got the other five subjects, two days that I got 2 exams and one day that I have 1 exam in the second week. That kinda sucks.

Edit: I feel good about all subjects, only on chemistry I'm not sure, but I will learn extra on that subject.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Txontaw

So, without reading anything but the OP (I've been lazy lately :P), I'll take a stab at what you're talking about.

Firstly, humans are a lot more adaptable than you give them credit for.

In a hypothetical situation, the entire earth blacks out. No more electricity from any of the major producers. Firstly, you have generators, that will run on the gas that many keep in reserve. Second, if there's any chance of fixing it, everybody will jump on fixing it. No one wants to be booted out of their comfy lifestyle. If there's NO chance of fixing it (for the purposes of this argument, the entire concept of electronics have stopped working), then we'll adapt to a non electric lifestyle. Pretty much everyone has some sort of skill not related to computers, and if computers go kaputt, then their non electronic skills will become their most important skills, and they'd start developing those. Believe me, if all electricity conked out, I would become much much more interested in woodworking, and my sister would probably learn how to hand stitch clothing. And the dude who has been making candles as a hobby for several years will suddenly find himself quite a few friends.

So, in conclusion, humanity is incredibly durable, and I think the narrow edge you're talking about is more of a four lane bridge, where the only thing that will take us completely off the edge is something like a meteor hit or something that makes the entire earth completely unlivable very quickly.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch