California: Bay Area

Started by Payoang, January 12, 2010, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagget00

If you guys need to go o Berkeley, I could do that once a month.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I like the switchoff idea as well. Berkeley is just a bit closer than San Jose, when coming from Reno. I would also be interested in an occasional (or regular) Saturday meetup day, as it is much easier for me to get away for a day trip on Saturdays. (They have just began road construction on 80, which makes any meetup day a challenge  :'( )

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ftiafpi

I need to move to California....

bagget00

the reason it's sunday is because parking is free where we were going.
other than that. every other location meetup is fine by me.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

judytuna

Hiya!

How about Saturday, June 5 at Eudemonia? At 2pm.
2154 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704
http://www.eudemonia.net

Eudemonia is the game store I work at. We have a big play area with lots of tables we can sit at. We're not a cafe or anything, so we can't eat outside food in the store, but we have lots of snack-y things (chips, ramen noodles, cookies) to eat, and drinks in the fridge, and there is PLENTY of "real" food nearby. There's only street parking, and the only free day is Sunday; however, on Sun Jun 6 we're having a big Magic tournament, so we should meet on Saturday instead (parking is like $1.50/hr on the street). It is VERY close to the downtown berkeley bart station, if that's a transportation option for anyone.

I have somewhere to be at 7pm, so early-afternoon on June 5 would be perfect for me.

I'm still waiting for my learnnavi.org tshirts!

Looking forward to when Ftiafpi moves to CA,
~judy

bagget00

yeah. that's another thing. I'm still waiting on my learnnavi shirts as well.

ToktorGrace

I'd be totally up for Santa Cruz/San Jose/other bay area meet ups. I'll be in Santa Cruz Sept-June for school, but to run around with some fellow Na'vi in the trees, I'd happily make that 1 hr 30 min drive down :D

I'll make sure to keep an eye on this thread too. ^^
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Ftiafpi

Ooo, a new person with a neat photo. Kaltxì new person. :)

I agree too, I would also make a 1.5 hour trek to meet Na'vi people, it's a shame the nearest Na'vi to me is about 6 hours away.

omängum fra'uti

Just a reminder to people that this is this Saturday!

Hope to see you all there!

Quote from: judytuna on May 21, 2010, 04:27:41 PM
Hiya!

How about Saturday, June 5 at Eudemonia? At 2pm.
2154 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704
http://www.eudemonia.net

Eudemonia is the game store I work at. We have a big play area with lots of tables we can sit at. We're not a cafe or anything, so we can't eat outside food in the store, but we have lots of snack-y things (chips, ramen noodles, cookies) to eat, and drinks in the fridge, and there is PLENTY of "real" food nearby. There's only street parking, and the only free day is Sunday; however, on Sun Jun 6 we're having a big Magic tournament, so we should meet on Saturday instead (parking is like $1.50/hr on the street). It is VERY close to the downtown berkeley bart station, if that's a transportation option for anyone.

I have somewhere to be at 7pm, so early-afternoon on June 5 would be perfect for me.

I'm still waiting for my learnnavi.org tshirts!

Looking forward to when Ftiafpi moves to CA,
~judy

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

judytuna

Yes! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys =D =D =D

And I got my Kaltxì shirt and K.Palulukan tote. Very happy.

Kä'eng

Can I come? That's pretty close to where I am. I think I've walked by this store several times in fact :)
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

omängum fra'uti

Anyone is welcome.  This is an open event for any interested in the Na'vi language that can get out to the area.

omängum fra'uti

FYI, I'll be there closer to 3:00, but I'll have hooked a Payoang.

judytuna

Wonderful! See you guys soon!

I'm here now -- I got here at like 2:05, and my coworker Will at the counter told me that someone came by asking about the learnna'vi thing... I'm really sorry! I missed the BART train that would have gotten me here before 2! I should have called to make sure Will knew to welcome people xP it's on our calendar haha...

Please come back, whoever you were! I'm here now! I'm wearing a Kaltxì shirt!!!! I'm easy to find!!!!!!!! Maybe I'll just stand on the sidewalk outside and call "kaltxì? kaltxì?" into the lonely breeze....

Store phone number: 510.883.0814, ask for Judy.

judytuna

YAY there are currently five of us here!!

bagget00

Sorry. I couldn't go because of two reasons.
1. I had a garage sale. It went fairly well.
2. My car's registry isn't up to date yet, so it is illegal for me to drive.

Plus I lost my job.
I really miss seeing you guys.
P.S. I wouldn't have minded seeing another Will. My name too. :')

Numeyu

Thanks to judytuna for setting this up!

I had an awesome time at the meet up today! I'm so glad I was able to hang out with you all during my vacation out here, and I look forward to the next time I get to see some/all of you! I'll be in the Bay Area until the 14th, in case anyone wants to grab coffee or something. And I am strongly considering coming back at the end of the month for another 2-3 weeks, which would be awesome.  :D
Kaltxì frapo!  Oel Na'viti nerumeie.  Oeyä Na'vi kesìltsan längu slä fratrr fteria.

omängum fra'uti

Seiyi irayo ma judytuna!  That was a fun little location, I felt bad being there and not playing some fun games! :D

Tentatively next month I'm saying first Saturday again, but is that a good idea with it being July 4th weekend?  Saturday is the 3rd.

Bagget00, hope things get better, before things started getting bad you were probably the most regular of the group!  I look forward to seeing you again when you are able.

And of course, to anybody in the area (Permanently or visiting) feel free to get in touch if you want to do something outside these regular events, even if its not directly Na'vi related.  When I'm around others who know, are learning, or at least appreciate the language, I try to throw in Na'vi as much as I can, even if I'm not there for Na'vi stuff, so even going to a movie, bar hopping, going to a beach, etc would turn into something of a Na'vi experience. :D

omängum fra'uti

So last night as I was trying to sleep, I had an idea for a different sort of Na'vi meetup.  Rather then go somewhere to focus on Na'vi, but end up talking about other things, my idea is to go somewhere for something else, but use Na'vi as much as possible.

Now that may sound more advanced, but if there is an activity which can be done where there is enough context to figure out what is being said in Na'vi, it may actually be useful to people of all levels of skill.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Interested in trying something along those lines this weekend?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Omängum, I think your idea is an excellent one. I question though, if I am ready for casual conversations because my working vocabulary is probably around 150 words at this point (I try and learn 1 or 2 new words a day, which is all I have time for. My vocabulary screensaver helps a lot!) I do know that when I have been able to spend time with another Na`vi speaker, it has helped tremendously. How do others feel about this? Perhaps a list of suggested words to learn beforehand would help.

As far as July 3rd goes, if there is going to be a turnout like June, I would try and make it over. Saturdays are much easier for me, and the Berkeley area is a bit closer.

Ftiafpi, I know how you feel. And you sound like you are even further away than I am!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]