California: Bay Area

Started by Payoang, January 12, 2010, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 07, 2010, 01:42:21 PM
So last night as I was trying to sleep, I had an idea for a different sort of Na'vi meetup.  Rather then go somewhere to focus on Na'vi, but end up talking about other things, my idea is to go somewhere for something else, but use Na'vi as much as possible.

Now that may sound more advanced, but if there is an activity which can be done where there is enough context to figure out what is being said in Na'vi, it may actually be useful to people of all levels of skill.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Interested in trying something along those lines this weekend?

Human games "ayuvan", but the rules and the game mechanics can only be communicated in Na'vi.

Ngal oe<<pxätìl sìp>>ur äopay tameykungzup/toleykungzup!

Kä ulte payoang sìyi!

oeru tamìng/tolìng layona mevomrr!
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

I wasn't necessarily thinking that everything must be said in Na'vi.  As Txur'itan said, perhaps we could have a game which the rules are changed to be Na'vi.  The idea would be to use as much Na'vi as you are comfortable with.  Ideally in such a way as if the words aren't understood, it can be understood from context.  For example talking about "txampay" near the ocean, or whatever.  I would probably talk as much Na'vi as I could, but until people are at the level where they can converse easily in Na'vi, I don't think it would be required.

On Saturday I mentioned a Looney Labs game, and I think it would be a great oppertunity to use a small set of vocabulary, but be requires to think about different things to say.  The game is Zendo, and I think I could come up with a Na'vi version of the game, it could be interesting.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

judytuna

Thank you all for the meet up!!! It was really fun! =) And thank you for traveling out to us, too! bagget00, good luck with RL stuff, maybe next time.

Yes, maybe that July 4th weekend isn't the best.

omängum fra'uti was really good at commenting at us in Na'vi and saying it more and more slowly until we finally picked up what he was saying by context. Sorry about the chatter... I guess that's the problem with any informal meetup--we'll chat about whatever enters our ontus. Which has its place I suppose, since what better way is there to get to know your fellow Na'vis than to trade stories? haha.

Maybe we can be more ambitious with our next meetup. We could set aside a certain hour with a goal, like going over  Skxawng's worksheets, or K.Palalukan's activity book, or "here is some vocab, now use it in a sentence" oral drills, or practice conversations or something (now that I think about it, we should really emphasize the "practice conversations" part while we're face-to-face). Like a class period of more "formal" studying time, to minimize chatter haha. Then we can go back to talking about ipad apps during "recess" haha. Well, it depends on what we want to get out of meeting up. It may help to set aside some time to be studious, and then the rest of the time can be for hanging around and drinking txep pay (mwahaha)

I love the idea of inserting Na'vi into random other activities. Also, games. Games of all kinds. Word games, video games, Looney Labs games.... how about field games? Tag, capture the aungia (hrh?!?), sardines, anything involving running around and yelling very short but meaningful things at each other in Na'vi. Oooh, red rover might be a good candidate, because it'll get everyone present to scream in na'vi in unison. Anything to get us yelling things in Na'vi in a completely uninhibited fashion, and after that, reading translations of coyote tales will come easily. Yes?

Haha. And it's summer now. Where to host? Berkeley and SF have great parks.

Who's up for an epic bay area Learn Na'vi picnic with bbq and field games?!?! How long do you think we'll need to plan something like this? A month or two? Are you guys free weekends in July? =D =D Now I'm getting -really- ambitious. Maybe we can bribe socal people into coming too? hahahaha

(+1000 to whoever comes up with a translation of all the rules of Muggle Quidditch for us to play. HRHRH blending of nerdoms)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I really like the idea of a game for learning, especially at first. With a controlled condition (the rules of the game) and just a subset of vocabulary, it teaches one to not only speak in Na`vi but to also think in Na`vi. Also, you would get extra points for not only choosing the proper words and inflections, but for then pronouncing them properly. Being able to do this is a crucial step to being able to freely converse in Na`vi. And the game would not have to be the whole meetup, as I think that getting to know your 'fellow blueskins' is also an important part of the meetups.

Learning Morse Code by operating in an amateur radio contest is another example of this kind of learning. In a radio contest, you have a given number of hours to contact as many other amateur radio stations as possible. Speed is important, but so is making sure you copied exactly what the other station was sending, often under less-than-ideal conditions. Normally, the information you exchange with the other station follows a strict format.  You have a rough (but only a rough) idea of what you are expecting the other station to be sending, so you can generally do a better job at copying what they are sending. And you can do this even if the other station's code is 33 percent or more faster than what you can copy in an open-ended conversation. After a while, I found my converastional morse code was better as a result of the contest operation.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Is anything happening July 3rd?

Yawey ngahu!

Txur’Itan

I am visiting family for the Fireworks.
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

Nothing currently scheduled for this week (Or this month, really).

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo fmawn. Tsun set nivìn ro sanhì ro ton.

Yawey ngahu!

omängum fra'uti

So....  Anyone up for getting together August 27th?  (Or, heck, if they do a midnight re-release, August 26th?)

I'd love to see it at the Metreon in IMAX if they will have it there again.

judytuna

I'd like to meet up again. I sprained my ankle and got really depressed and haven't been around. Sorry.

I'd love to watch Avatar again, too. Am I missing something? Did they announce US rerelease dates yet? Is this not updated--http://www.avatarmovie.com/re-releasedates/ ?

omängum fra'uti

That page only lists "international" re-release dates.  The US date was in the main announcement.

bagget00

That'd be cool. I f I can get the car up and running, I'll definitely go.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on July 11, 2010, 02:51:59 AM
So....  Anyone up for getting together August 27th?  (Or, heck, if they do a midnight re-release, August 26th?)

I'd love to see it at the Metreon in IMAX if they will have it there again.

SRAN!
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

So that's two "yes" so far...

Here's the question though.  Midnight showing on the 26th, or sometime 27th?  So far the only theaters listed are south bay (Great Mall and Oakridge) - both have midnight showings.

Edit: I'm going to be at the midnight showing at the Oakridge theater, if anyone wants to come along, I already have my ticket.  So far only Century has put up their showtimes, not sure if AMC will be showing it in IMAX, but I actually prefer the RealD showing.  If people want to do a non midnight showing, I can pop in for that as well.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on August 13, 2010, 02:31:58 PM
So that's two "yes" so far...

Here's the question though.  Midnight showing on the 26th, or sometime 27th?  So far the only theaters listed are south bay (Great Mall and Oakridge) - both have midnight showings.

Edit: I'm going to be at the midnight showing at the Oakridge theater, if anyone wants to come along, I already have my ticket.  So far only Century has put up their showtimes, not sure if AMC will be showing it in IMAX, but I actually prefer the RealD showing.  If people want to do a non midnight showing, I can pop in for that as well.

Midnight for me.

Link the theater please.  I want to be 100% certain about going to the same one.
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

Txur’Itan

/THREAD RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Roll call for Nor-Cal Bay Area Peeps.
私は太った男だ。

ToktorGrace

Present!

I am in the South Bay, but if there is a bay area meet-up of sorts on a weekend I could drive out to go to it ! :D
Am planning on going to a convention in January in San Jose where I shall have epic cosplaying :D Woo!
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

judytuna

I'm not dead!

What convention are you going to, Truro? I wish I were brave enough for epic cosplaying!

I live in SF, work in Berkeley, and go often to san jose where my family lives. haha.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: judytuna on December 01, 2010, 12:37:39 AM
I'm not dead!

What convention are you going to, Truro? I wish I were brave enough for epic cosplaying!

I live in SF, work in Berkeley, and go often to san jose where my family lives. haha.

Hehe... *coughs* Further Confusion, a furry convention :3 Im also pretty sure I'll hit up BayCon (a sci-fi/fantasy convention) in May.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...