Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho

Started by Coyote, January 12, 2010, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrrtep tsamsiyu

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 15, 2010, 05:07:34 AM
Quote from: vrrtep tsamsiyu on February 15, 2010, 02:35:40 AM
Ya my little introduction was kinda awkward haha. I wanted to go to the meeting place and hang out and what not, but my friend was being annoying and said he didn't want to hang out with people I randomly met on the internet. I tired explaining that it wasn't really random but it's whatever I guess you can't win them all haha, It was good to see other people who like Avatar as much as I do though.

Dude, I think I just had a revelation.

You recognized my hoodie... did you not? That was the only thing that might have stuck us out from the crowd and brought you, what, fifteen bodies behind your group or place...?

I mean, Sanmäkx and Kaiatéya was against the wall. Plus, Ting was sitting down.

I mean... ugh, well, if that's indeed true, well, I'm sorry I didn't "catch up" on this fact. And I'm glad I unwittingly met another face, brought forth another connection amongst the crowd to the clan I was with. I just hope I wasn't super aloof towards you. Ugh. Better luck next time? And when it does come, I promise to laugh at your jokes too. Really. *bargain*  :-\

*sigh* *kicks himself*

"Kha'rul... So, remember that face with the beach-blonde hair... I bet he does have jokes to tell."

"Alright."

Heh. Why do I amaze myself? I still have a hard time believing this. Ugh. Well, nevertheless, I do hope to see you again, Vrrtep! Seriously. :D

Ya I saw your hoodie and I could see Tìng's yellow jacket through all the people and I assumed it was you guys, and if it wasn't it would have just been a really funny conversation with random people that I could have put on the most embarrassing Avatar related moments thread haha.

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 15, 2010, 10:19:07 AM
Watching Avatar on that giant screen was pretty outstanding ;) and the company was good. Glad to have gone, even if I wallflowered most of the evening :P

And now, soon, we're going to have to GET SUM PORTLAND.

"Don't even try to protest, Kha'rul. As I recall, you *DID* promise." :P

*deep, deep sigh*
I love to think about random stuff. I hope perhaps you do, too! :D

kharul_karyu

Quote from: vrrtep tsamsiyu on February 15, 2010, 12:19:08 PM
Ya I saw your hoodie and I could see Tìng's yellow jacket through all the people and I assumed it was you guys, and if it wasn't it would have just been a really funny conversation with random people that I could have put on the most embarrassing Avatar related moments thread haha.

No worries. Just try listening to other people rather than... annoying(?) roommates? Sorry if I have that wrong, but it seemed that you "dragged(?)" him out of bed, only to be "weirded out" by the prospect of meeting some "Internet people."  ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :o

I just hope that we collectively proved our worthfulness as a smashing group to hang out with. Uhm, roommate-less? :) :D LOL

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 15, 2010, 11:39:00 AM
Yes it was rather awesome we need to GET SUM that big over on the East side.

Um... LOL

*sigh* *lays out a calendar of "potential" plans*

Rolyu

Haha am I like the last one to post?  Jeez. 

Well.... it was super fun hanging out with you guys.  ^^ Coffee, foods.  That Mexican place tasted good.  If no one else has reported yet, I'll post a full rundown?  I'll go search first...
That Pac Sci theater is AMAZING!  :D
I hope we get Billy, Brianne, and Landon up on this forum too.

Let's be more prepared next time to spread Learnnavi.org propaganda.  :D

Oh, and nice to see you, Vrrtep!

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Rolyu on February 15, 2010, 02:20:23 PM
Haha am I like the last one to post?  Jeez.

Don't worry about it. Some of us have drunk this Na'vi kool-aid, it's hard to stop posting or want to translate Na'vi... not that I'm there, fully. :P :P :P

*tries to catch up to Sanmäkx*  :-\

I think there's some Fruit Punch Na'vi kool-aid left. I'm not sayin' that you should, though. Some people do have... lives. Um.  :-\

Uh, remember, I'm the one with Pandora Air tickets. So, of course... I'm a fanatic. LOL Look at that. I just claimed to have a certain contraband. About getting somewhere. Feh.

I'm laughing so hard about this now. Wow. Maybe I should just hit "post." Sorry, I have tears now. Oops.  :o

*Kha'rul hears crickets*

vrrtep tsamsiyu

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 15, 2010, 01:50:59 PM

No worries. Just try listening to other people rather than... annoying(?) roommates? Sorry if I have that wrong, but it seemed that you "dragged(?)" him out of bed, only to be "weirded out" by the prospect of meeting some "Internet people."  ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :o

I just hope that we collectively proved our worthfulness as a smashing group to hang out with. Uhm, roommate-less? :) :D LOL

I'm confused are you trying to say that I should have just gone to the meet and not "annoyed my friend into coming." Or are you calling him annoying? haha Because he was down to go, but then when we got to dicks in seattle at about 3 he just kinda changed his mind I guess, so we just spent like 5 hours walking around seattle.

And you guys didn't have to prove your worthfulness to hang out, you are on this forum so obviously are worth hanging out with haha.

kharul_karyu

Quote from: vrrtep tsamsiyu on February 15, 2010, 03:29:38 PM

I'm confused are you trying to say that I should have just gone to the meet and not "annoyed my friend into coming." Or are you calling him annoying? haha Because he was down to go, but then when we got to dicks in seattle at about 3 he just kinda changed his mind I guess, so we just spent like 5 hours walking around seattle.

And you guys didn't have to prove your worthfulness to hang out, you are on this forum so obviously are worth hanging out with haha.

Oops. Didn't know you were wandering around Seattle. That sucks.

*superglues his mouth shut so he doesn't say anything more, um, untoward* :P

vrrtep tsamsiyu

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 15, 2010, 03:35:35 PM
Quote from: vrrtep tsamsiyu on February 15, 2010, 03:29:38 PM

Oops. Didn't know you were wandering around Seattle. That sucks.

*superglues his mouth shut so he doesn't say anything more, um, untoward* :P

Well wondering in Seattle is always fun haha, what i should have done is got somebody's number and asked them where everyone was, and then happen to wonder there lol.

kharul_karyu

Kaiatéya found us, even where (as I understand) Ting gave her pretty open-ended directions. Either Kaiatéya has a great sense of direction or Ting gives good directions...

I have a feeling I would be walking around in circles if I was in that situation. Maybe that is because I do...? Walking in circles, I mean. :-\

Anyway, I would defer everything about planning/location/time to Ting. I mean... good luck getting anything useful like that from me. :D

"These are not the droids you're looking for."  ::) ;) ;D

Kaiatéya

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 15, 2010, 04:11:57 PM
Kaiatéya found us, even where (as I understand) Ting gave her pretty open-ended directions. Either Kaiatéya has a great sense of direction or Ting gives good directions...

A little of both I think .. I do have a good sense of direction and spent a long time studying the map of where everything was, but I am often not good at translating maps into reality. I was going to cruise along Western Ave looking for parking, and just sort of darted into the first parking garage I saw, figuring it was cheap weekend rates or something. I took the elevator up out of that garage and saw a Tully's right there .. put 2 and 2 together, and realized that must be the one. I thought maybe I saw you in there kharul, but I didn't see Tìng's coat or chicken purse .. so I spent a few awkward moments wondering if I should message her back and say: sure, come down to Pike Market to meet me, and see if anyone came out of the Tully's ;D

Uhh .. anyway. :D

My "GET SUM PORTLAND" comment was referencing that me and Jessica were on our way back home, but now that I read it again .. it does seem to have the other meaning. :)

I felt a little culture clash going on just because we have this one thing in common (Avatar) and we all get different things out of it, but other than that, a very diverse group of people. An interesting evening, either way, and I'm glad I went :)

Sanmäkx

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 15, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
I felt a little culture clash going on just because we have this one thing in common (Avatar) and we all get different things out of it, but other than that, a very diverse group of people. An interesting evening, either way, and I'm glad I went :)

We'd have had a more relaxed time of things if those of us there had a deeper understanding of the language could have focused more on that subject. Regardless, I had a ball.

EDIT: So, for the next meet-up, be sure to GET SUM FLUENCY, AYSKXAWNG.

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 15, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
My "GET SUM PORTLAND" comment was referencing that me and Jessica were on our way back home, but now that I read it again .. it does seem to have the other meaning. :)

I really, really, REALLY need to work on that whole "superglue on my lips" application tactic when I'm in the forum here. Never mind that it's the fingers that do the talking... I'm just sure you know EXACTLY what I mean.

*still tired!* *kicks himself again!* :P

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

*hangs head in shame at her lack of linguistic knowledge*
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Sanmäkx on February 15, 2010, 07:02:54 PM
EDIT: So, for the next meet-up, be sure to GET SUM FLUENCY, AYSKXAWNG.

*sigh* *route memorization time*

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on February 15, 2010, 07:20:31 PM
*hangs head in shame at her lack of linguistic knowledge*

*scoff!*

That's my line...! Uh... movement. Acting. Thing.

Still... *!!!* lol

*shocked, too* After all, I willingly said I lost a marble (or a billion of them) after I left that darned place... that one esteemed individual could make such a claim as well.

Is it an exercise in preposterousity? I'm only saying. Don't... smote me, now...

Honest, I will figure out this superglue thing... honest, I will. *bargains*

Kaiatéya

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 15, 2010, 07:30:48 PM
*sigh* *route memorization time*

There's something to be said for that actually. I've learned a lot just by focusing on a few phrases at a time from the movie dialogue, and listening to how they're spoken in the movie and how others speak them (especially as phrases turn up in Frommer's audio), parsing them and translating them, figuring out ways to modify them for what I want, and so forth. (For example, I made a "I will soon be one of The People" out of Neytiri's "You will never be one of The People" line. :)

To be honest with you, I can't converse much in Na'vi either. I know little vocabulary and have only a fuzzy idea of a lot of the core grammar. When I want to compose something, I go look it up. Good for practice, but not so useful for conversing with a table full of Na'vi geeks. :)

The main thing I've studied has been pronunciation. Partially because it's the most impressive when showing off to your friends ;) but also because I intend to see this through:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-music/navi-rap-ninavi!/

In way over my head on that one but it simply has to be done. :) I'm not sure yet whether the final product will end up being anything like what I'd envisioned at the beginning, but hey.

Coyote

I learn the most when I have to put sentences together in the Role-Play section. Writing Na'vi in stories helps me a lot.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

kharul_karyu

"There's something to be said for that actually." I agree. We can't let "Jakesully" do all the culture logistics, in pronunciation, meaning, sentence structure... for the viewers, for us.

That's daunting. :(

kharul_karyu

Yes. Okay, so thanks to Sanmäkx, there's a lot of Na'vi learn here. Well, for me, at least. We were talking about the English and Na'vi translations around 4pm yesterday. He said that he would send me a link about the English - Na'vi translations. I gotten involved in working on the two wikis now for a few hours but stopped briefly in case some of you want to start learning another way right now (rather than tree-killing worksheets), well, I'm doing this until I go to bed tonight.

Hang tight, or practice on what is complete. I'm just going down the list. If the beginning of a Na'vi sentence is capitalized, I haven't edited that yet. It seems they only capitalize names. Perhaps locations, but at least just names now, it looks like.

Weeks ago, some kind soul in the forum introduced me to the Learn Na'vi wiki. So, because this job has kinda fallen in front of me, literally without possession of being completed by someone, I'm working on the Learn Na'vi wiki script to reflect the Wikipedia Na'vi script myself. The Wikipedia seems much more complete, so I'm using Wikipedia as a template.

http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php?title=Na'vi_from_Avatar_Movie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Na%27vi_language/script

I could hang out in a Avatar irc channel (a chat room for using irc protocol), but since we're all clamoring to learn Na'vi... socializing with other people will have to wait.  I guess. Pardon some of the mess of the page, it still needs a bit of love, even after I have been working on this for a few hours now.

Sorry from deviating from meetup-talk. We now rejoin previously scheduled programming already in progress.