Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho

Started by Coyote, January 12, 2010, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Are there camping spots near Ape Cave? That rocks, and I have cave experience (not that you really need it for Ape Cave).

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Rolyu

Kaiatéya

Ohhh Ape Caves are brilliant ;D They're right by St Helens. (Actually built from lava tubes from Helens.)

Rolyu

Kaiatéya

They have two parts, an upper and lower cave. I can't remember which is which .. but the one is just a big open tube that you can literally walk in like a hallway for about a 1/4 mile or so. The other one involves several hours worth of picking your way, climbing over piles of rock, and even using a foothold to climb up a ~7-8 ft (lava) glass wall. It's surreal to emerge from the other side after all that time.

There are some nice hikes in the area too. I think the one I'm thinking of is Lava Canyon, which has a number of different, interesting terrain types. One really long (wobbly) suspension bridge over a big drop, and some amazing bright blue rapids. Really neat place...

Sanmäkx

Rolyu

We should go there too then.  I don't know what the best time of year for that would be.  June maybe, before it gets too hot?

Kaiatéya

The beautiful thing about Ape Caves is that it's a constant temperature year-round. I went there in summer before, and it feels nice and cool. I went in the winter, and it felt nice and warm. :D (It was sleeting outside...) The main consideration is probably what time is most convenient to get out there, or if we wanted to do other hikes or camping activities in the area.

IlccEyren

woohoo off work! :D anyways a summer - autumn would be the best bet for everyone who wants to go seeing as its not too hot and its not cold yet either so it cuts down a ton on heavier and extra equipment. if a camping trip could be pulled out to a week or even longer maybe that would be simply amazing. I have a bunch of experience with camp cooking but it doesnt seem as though im the only one so no one would starve which would be terribly unfortunate to begin with. If everybody is honestly contemplating this as i hope you all are we should start talking dates as in now. good planning is planning where everyone ends up living through the endeavor and not just barely. ;) but if everyone would like to then i do not have a problem pulling together money for food and such and starting to get extra supplies in case of emergencies. let me know what everyone honestly thinks
kaltxì aysute. I am a beginner but not by choice or time spent. simply because languages are hard for me

Rolyu

I wanna go up to Lake Margaret with everyone in August.  It's a crazy hike, but such a magical and remote spot... usually when I go up there, there's no other people and no signs of people having been there.  There's a small lake surrounded by wildflowers, and down another path a wonderful frog pond.  And there's huckberries and wild strawberries on the hike up.

IlccEyren

I LOVE ME SOME FROGS!!!  :D and dang are those wild strawberries good even if they are tiny. it sounds like a great camp. how long is the hike in distance if you know? i havent been on a major hike in a while and it would be awesome to go again.
kaltxì aysute. I am a beginner but not by choice or time spent. simply because languages are hard for me

MaTe

Quote from: Rolyu on February 19, 2010, 02:30:00 AM
I wanna go up to Lake Margaret with everyone in August.  It's a crazy hike, but such a magical and remote spot... usually when I go up there, there's no other people and no signs of people having been there.  There's a small lake surrounded by wildflowers, and down another path a wonderful frog pond.  And there's huckberries and wild strawberries on the hike up.

lookedup on map - is it the right one?:
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-lillian

it's a link to a more distant lake and you pass margaret on the way there

4 miles oneway, 1300ft elevation gain - easily doable as a day-hike.
There are alot of lakes in that area. This thread has a photo of one of them.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/general-avatar-discussion/green-earth/msg7889/#msg7889
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Eaite Randjam

Here's another idea for your consideration:
Who likes a nice bike ride?  We could meet up for a day on the Iron Horse trail up in the Cascades near Snoqualmie Pass. It's especially beautiful during the summer and features a 2-mile long tunnel through the mountain!

Rolyu

I'd have to go get my bike repaired for that one.

@Mate:  Yes, thats the lake, though the article is a little bit decieving.  Lake Margaret isn't actually on the right when the trail splits.  It's still a good hike up the hill, then down the other side of the mountain and through a meadow before you get there.  ^^
I went to lake Lillian once.  It was pretty cool, but I still love Margaret the best.

Kaiatéya

That sounds lovely ;D There's a place we went to a couple of times down here that was sort of like that. (Averill Lake) The first time we went was right at the beginning of hunting season (didn't realize it) and so, besides the occasional distant gunshot :D we were pretty much completely alone the whole time. The next time we went, it was pretty crowded and not nearly as much fun. :( Jessica went before with a women's spirituality group at PSU, and it was not crowded then either, so maybe it was a freak occurrence. The hike up there is pretty similar -- 4 miles or so, mostly uphill. There's a day hike you can do from the lake camp sites up to Potato Butte, which has great views of Mt Jefferson and Olallie Lake too. The lakes are of course not safe to drink from, like any water these days :(, but you can boil it without troubles.

I'm a cycling nut too so I'd love to do that too, but I'm not sure I'd want to haul my bike that far north with just the hanging-off-the-back rack thing ;)

IlccEyren

4 miles? :-[ not really far at all... haha thats one beautiful place though. i'm all for it. and cycling is great too. just as long as there is no sand. that is the one thing that will ruin my day is biking in sand  :P but yeah i'd have to repair my bike as its been stored away for the winter

Kaiatéya

4 miles is quite a hike when you're going uphill the whole time (sometimes rather steeply) along a non-paved trail with a 40 lb backpack on your back :)

IlccEyren

hahah i did 10 with 30lbs when i was 8. i love hiking, mountains is pretty much my "natural environment"

Rolyu

I swear it was easier for me when I was younger.  Lol.  The hike is "only" four miles, but with a good 5 days of supplies on your back, it feels very very long.  Now, I'm sure some hiking nut is going to post after me and brag about their awesomeness, but I'm still saying, for us naturally athletic and mildly in-shape people, it's still a tough hike.  Mostly because it's steep.  And yeah, after the trail head it is not too long, but you still have to walk to the trail head.  XD

Just saying.  Don't make me fell lazy, cause to me Lake Margaret is not a "Day" hike.  I did some day hikes up there, but I would rather stay a few days if I'm going to go up there.

OMG!  I Just realized... Glacier national park.  Any takers?

IlccEyren

never been once again  :( anyways to be honest im good with anywhere. it would rock to meet everyone and camping on top of it. its like eating a cheesecake all to myself and then sprinkling eX on top haha. no worries im no druggie. anyways though i'll go check it out it sound pretty