Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho

Started by Coyote, January 12, 2010, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IlccEyren

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 26, 2010, 08:39:07 PM
"War of the Roses"

wow... been busy. didnt know anybody really knew of the war of the roses. props to you
kaltxì aysute. I am a beginner but not by choice or time spent. simply because languages are hard for me

Coyote

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 26, 2010, 01:20:49 PMIdaho Falls is pretty far out there .. oeru txoa livu, ma IlccEyren. ^_^; Is Idaho even technically part of the Pacific Northwest? Maybe you guys should make a northern Rocky Mountain meetup or something...

Idaho is kind of an odd duck for the Pacific Northwest. But we actually do have a seaport, it is a river-port that connects to the Pacific in the north, Lewiston. All of Idaho, Washington and Oregon used to be part of Oregon Territory, and the I-84 interstate strings together all the major southern Idaho cities direct to Oregon via Ontario, Baker City and Pendleton to the Gorge. It's a major transit route and we have more trade going to Oregon than in the other direction. Northern Idaho in particular is almost exclusively tied to Washington, even more so than they are to the southern part of the state.

We're also included in all the maps for the proposed Republic of Cascadia!  ;D Of course, we'd need British Columbia to complete that.  ;)

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Eaite Randjam

To add to the above, the Snake and Columbia rivers provide shipping lanes for the goods in and out of Idaho.  So, Idaho isn't landlocked.

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

I used to live in Idaho and I did not know that.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Kaiatéya

Thank you, that was enlightening :) I am relatively new to the PNW anyway, I came here about 7 years ago. So much better :)

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Kaiatéya

Texas, by way of Arizona. :) Yeah, I know .. shoot me now :)

I actually like Austin quite a bit still, and the desert around Tucson is amazing. I can't really take living either place anymore for a variety of reasons.

kharul_karyu

I love to think about random stuff. I hope perhaps you do, too! :D

Kaiatéya

Quote from: kharul_karyu on March 01, 2010, 10:36:02 PMOne of which is the narrow-minded people?

There are plenty of those up here too, but quite a few less .. yes, the narrow minded people, the 95 degrees + 95% humidity weather in Texas, the flat terrain in Texas, the 110 degree summers in Arizona where you had to carry a water bottle and drink from it periodically whether you were thirsty or not, or you'd end up dehydrated because all the sweat evaporated off as fast as it came out. :) The cultures in both places didn't really agree with me, what with the love of expanding indefinitely into large open spaces and relying almost entirely on cars for transport. (Sorry, I know that applies to some of the PNW too, but at least some parts are trying to fix it now.)

In spite of that I miss a lot of things about both places. I have a number of good friends in both places that I miss a lot. Facebook doesn't really cut it. :( Some really fabulous food in Austin, and I just love going out in the Sonoran desert in Arizona. There are places you can really imagine that the rest of humanity has vanished for a few hours. And the monsoons .. oooooohhh. I love big thunderstorms.

Where's my ikran?? :)

I don't like being negative though. Let's just say that the PNW suits me better overall. :)

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Kesìltsamsiyu

Quote from: Kaiatéya on March 01, 2010, 10:52:07 PM
Quote from: kharul_karyu on March 01, 2010, 10:36:02 PMOne of which is the narrow-minded people?

There are plenty of those up here too, but quite a few less .. yes, the narrow minded people, the 95 degrees + 95% humidity weather in Texas, the flat terrain in Texas, the 110 degree summers in Arizona where you had to carry a water bottle and drink from it periodically whether you were thirsty or not, or you'd end up dehydrated because all the sweat evaporated off as fast as it came out. :) The cultures in both places didn't really agree with me, what with the love of expanding indefinitely into large open spaces and relying almost entirely on cars for transport. (Sorry, I know that applies to some of the PNW too, but at least some parts are trying to fix it now.)

In spite of that I miss a lot of things about both places. I have a number of good friends in both places that I miss a lot. Facebook doesn't really cut it. :( Some really fabulous food in Austin, and I just love going out in the Sonoran desert in Arizona. There are places you can really imagine that the rest of humanity has vanished for a few hours. And the monsoons .. oooooohhh. I love big thunderstorms.

Where's my ikran?? :)

I don't like being negative though. Let's just say that the PNW suits me better overall. :)

I used to live in Phoenix, moved up to Seattle for college, and I sympathize COMPLETELY, like, in a "get out of my head" sort of way.
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Kaiatéya

Quote from: Kireyan on March 02, 2010, 09:02:47 PMlike, in a "get out of my head" sort of way.

LOL .. unintentional internet tsaheylu.

Coyote

The dry desert heat I can dig. But humidity? Noooo.  :o I was in Panama for two weeks, and that was long enough to teach me one of the most important lessons of my life: jungles suck;)

Between the skin rashes and B-52 Beetles, give me a nice arid desert any day. Or a pine forest. Oddly enough, the wet rain forest of the Washington and Oregon coasts are fine by me... but they don't have the oppressive heat of a fully tropical jungle.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

MaTe

Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

IlccEyren

No JOKE! The redwoods are gorgeous. they are unbelievably peaceful too. Anybody who has the chance to visit do so and you'll see what i mean. if you like being in nature being in the redwoods is as close as you'll probably ever get to visiting Pandora. its serene and breathtaking. terribly humbling.
kaltxì aysute. I am a beginner but not by choice or time spent. simply because languages are hard for me

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Rolyu

LOL All I saw was that post and I thought "boobs? What?"  And then I was like "wait... he's talking about the trees."

Going to see Avatar one last time at the Imax in the Lincoln Square Cinema in Bellevue at 6:30 tonight.
WEEEEE!!!
If you can come you should!  It's not sold out yet.

Tsawla Eltu Tsamsiyu

Kesìltsamsiyu

Quote from: Rolyu on March 04, 2010, 04:10:39 PM
LOL All I saw was that post and I thought "boobs? What?"  And then I was like "wait... he's talking about the trees."

Going to see Avatar one last time at the Imax in the Lincoln Square Cinema in Bellevue at 6:30 tonight.
WEEEEE!!!
If you can come you should!  It's not sold out yet.

I'm retroactively envious, even though I really can't afford to go see it again anyway. I've been bashing my head against active-HDL all night. I want to pack up and move to Pandora purely for its lack of finite state machines. Everything else would just be a nice addition.
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Kaiatéya

Quote from: Kireyan on March 05, 2010, 02:06:56 AM
I'm retroactively envious, even though I really can't afford to go see it again anyway. I've been bashing my head against active-HDL all night. I want to pack up and move to Pandora purely for its lack of finite state machines. Everything else would just be a nice addition.

Heh, I know that feeling .. I had to help program an FPGA at work a long time ago. That and debugging a new mini-computer* we built using only an o-scope for a while... "Ok, 2 blips, then 4 blips, then 2 blips. Looks like it did blah..." :)

"...signal transduction. Wow! It's that fast?" :)

* In the "small" sense, not the "room full of IBM" sense. Heh.