Pacific Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho

Started by Coyote, January 12, 2010, 11:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaTe

Pacific IMAX - some shows on Sat 13 are soldout already.

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?linkID=psc&invNum=1096&type=CT,SE,MI&mm=&yyyy=&dd=&groupCode=I

Sanmäkx, Tìng Eywatikìte'e , who else?
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

kharul_karyu

I will be there in Seattle. I am looking forward to knowing the time and place... :)
I love to think about random stuff. I hope perhaps you do, too! :D

vrrtep tsamsiyu

Quote from: MaTe on February 05, 2010, 02:16:47 AM
Pacific IMAX - some shows on Sat 13 are soldout already.

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?linkID=psc&invNum=1096&type=CT,SE,MI&mm=&yyyy=&dd=&groupCode=I

Sanmäkx, Tìng Eywatikìte'e , who else?
[/quote}

I would be down to go...and we could do the 8:55 showing.

Kaiatéya

Aww :( I so want to go see it at the Pacific Science IMAX. The next day after that is my birthday. ;D Is it better than a theater IMAX or just a bigger screen?

kharul_karyu

Kaiatéya, who is saying you can't?

[Edit: maybe we could agree to meet the day after...]

[Another Edit: *tries to get his foot out of his mouth*]

[Still Another Edit: since Avatar is a religious - spiritual experience (at least it is for me, the more I learn about the Na'vi, the more I wish there was more tribalism and Knowing of Earth/Terra/Gaia over the planet), any of those who go to church... well, hopefully they would subsitute church for a theater, at least on this day...]

Rolyu

OMG!  Count me in if Ting is!  I love the Science center!

Are there any tickets left?  What time?  >.<

If the Science center sells out before we get this together, the Imax at Bellevue Mall is a really good one.  We could go there, I don't think it will be sold out.

kharul_karyu

There is Kent, too. The venue at Kent had a spacious walkway through the center of the theater, I sat there, in front of the walkway, on the 31st so that there wouldn't be too many heads in my way...

Rolyu

kharul_karyu

Sanmäkx

Always good to have contingency plans. That said, let's shoot to nail this thing down at Pacific Science Center in Seattle and keep Bellevue and Kent in mind as backups.

Personally, I'd prefer something on Sunday the 14th, as I've got a pre-standing commitment on Saturday the 13th from 12pm-4pm.

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 05, 2010, 12:24:47 PMIs it better than a theater IMAX or just a bigger screen?

PacSci's theater is a standard IMAX screen ("six stories tall, and 80-feet wide", the introduction voiceover always says). It's not one of those domed IMAX screens, but even then, I've never left Avatar at PacSci feeling disappointed in the five times I've been there.

Kaiatéya

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 05, 2010, 12:29:39 PM
Kaiatéya, who is saying you can't?

[Edit: maybe we could agree to meet the day after...]

[Another Edit: *tries to get his foot out of his mouth*]

LOL .. Yeah .. the one saying I can't go is me. I'm in Portland so it's a 3 hour drive each way. I have a partner who wants to go again too (and will be upset with me if I go alone) and a one year old son (who needs a babysitter for a loonnnng time or something) so it's difficult. I would still find a way to do it if it's really a full-screen dome theater showing, but I want to be verrry sure :)

[Still Another Edit: since Avatar is a religious - spiritual experience (at least it is for me, the more I learn about the Na'vi, the more I wish there was more tribalism and Knowing of Earth/Terra/Gaia over the planet), any of those who go to church... well, hopefully they would subsitute church for a theater, at least on this day...]

Agreed completely .. and know that we're out here. :) If someone asks me for a label I tend to call myself a druidic+shamanic pagan. I .. talk to trees and dirt, I have reverence for the earth and all the life on it (including people who I occasionally want to knock smartly on the head and say to them: skxawng!). I thank my food and apologize for the death of anything that went into it. I have done these things since before I saw Avatar.

To me, tsaheylu is not a far-fetched sci-fi concept, it's a daily aspect of my life, even if it's not so .. direct. Me and my partner joke that .. she goes to a Gnostic church on Sunday morning, and we go to my church Sunday afternoon by hiking in Forest Park.

I believe that Earth/Gaia is a real, living organism, of which we are one integral part. I saw an article recently about how the earth has been heading for bio-death for millions of years, by "design" (as much as anything is by design) and people said: this is conclusive evidence that the Gaia theory is wrong. I disagree. It's more evidence that it's right. Every living organism has a growth and adolesence, a plateau of adulthood, and a decline into death. We delay ours by use of our brains and smarts. I believe that, as one of the primary intelligence components of Gaia, it is our duty to get past our adolescence as a species and do the same for Gaia. Love your mother. :)

Ohhh gods Avatar was like pure mental candy for me .. and I can't get enough .. lol ;D

Rolyu

Don't worry.  Even us Churchy nuts have respect for Mother Earth.  As a Catholic raised in a Catholic family, it was really hard, at first, to reconcile my belief in the life of this world, and the traditional, human centered, Catholic thinking, but as I get older the more I see God in all living things around me (like I was taught in Church).  Now, if I have a love and respect for God, who is all things, then shouldn't I love and respect the living entity that is our world?
Catholics who deny the life of the Earth aren't really thinking about their religion, they're just following a blind stereotype. 

I know that our new Pope Benedict has done a lot of talking down about Avatar, but I don't take it as the teaching or view point of the church.  I take that as a stuffy old man's opinion.  I'm sure the late Pope John Paul (an amazing man who knew what true love for all things is) would have loved it.  :)

I know that with our increasing awareness of our impact on the natural world, there is also an increasing Pantheistic movement, and I think it scares many in my church.  But, we who worship a piece of bread in a golden monument and call it the body of our God, and then drink his "blood," have no place criticizing the direct communion many have with nature.

I also don't see any point in separating Earth from God.  If to a Christian it was God who gave us life, and to a scientist it was the Earth that gave us life, does that mean that God and Gaia are two sides of the same coin, with people b**** at each other for believing in one or the other?  Is it so hard to believe that the Entity many of us call "God" is the force of nature?  Haha.  There are days when I'm in Church and I want to smack a couple of Skxawngs myself for throwing nature out of the mix.

There is a reason the idea of Pantheism strikes so close to home, whether we like it or not. 
I am quite jealous of the Na'vi, who live eternally in their Garden of Eden, with a direct connection to their God/Mother/Creator.  If you believe in the old stories, us humans used to live in direct communion with our "God" (or our Gaia, whatever you want to call it.)  Then we did something terrible that forever separated us.

Maybe we ate some fruit, like the stories say.
But I think there's something big that we did, something very human.
It's not hard to believe that we once lived like the Na'vi.

Haha but I'll stop talking about it for now.  I'm sure something I said offended someone.  Sorry.

Back to the topic at hand:  How to we get this meeting altogether before Ting gets here? 

kharul_karyu

Just before everyone forgets, a little reminder... I live in Olympia, so I can go to both places (Seattle Metro, Portland Metro)!

I'm sorry, I just want to meet people... :)

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Rolyu on February 05, 2010, 05:28:36 PM
Haha but I'll stop talking about it for now.  I'm sure something I said offended someone.  Sorry.

No, no. You made very salient points. I just want to add where I think we departed from Gaia/Terra.

It wasn't from eating an apple. Sure, I know it's just a literary theme (like the serpent or Eden itself), a theme about information or knowledge... but I think the knowledge was the knowing of how to control other people. I think the ruling of one class of people, like a wealthy class ruling over an aboriginal society in turn makes that ruling class stronger (found some gold, and that timber was great, too)... it fuels their greed, so they will want to do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again... Meanwhile, we have kicked ourselves out of Eden, simply by doing what we do to one another.

Is Peace Eden?

Where do we tell the ruling class that it's time to get off the train? Where do we say that they have had their moment? Where do we tell them that we have had enough?

Those are just random questions, by the way...

kharul_karyu

Quote from: Kaiatéya on February 05, 2010, 04:58:48 PM
To me, tsaheylu is not a far-fetched sci-fi concept, it's a daily aspect of my life, even if it's not so .. direct. Me and my partner joke that .. she goes to a Gnostic church on Sunday morning, and we go to my church Sunday afternoon by hiking in Forest Park.

I love that. And I'm slightly envious of you. But just a bit.

I got a few books of OSHO, where on one particular page (I know, I need to *READ* them to discover other jewels), at least... this whole thing on religion is framed rather well. I don't know who is familiar with OSHO, but I will bring along the books with me on my travels north and south... if anyone is curious about this encapsulation on religion that I found.

The reason I'm envious is because to read the passage, listening to a CD of tribal chants... or what have you, breathing that fresh air, it's like levitation towards someone's sanity. I wish I had the timing, the planning, the mental fortitude (I'm not sure what it is) to do something like that, either on a daily or weekly basis.

But maybe... maybe I'm equipped somehow that I can get by without doing it. It just feels a bit wrong not to, like I feel hollow. That's why I'm envious. I think.

I don't know. Like almost every other human (maybe) I easily contradict myself... I'm easily confused.

Kaiatéya

Pope John Paul was awesome. ;D I read about him recently and he just seems like he was an upstanding guy.

That's a really neat description Rolyu. I agree. I think we all seek to touch divinity, grace, nirvana, or what have you in our own ways. Perhaps, if we have multiple lives, we even seek it in different ways or on different levels in different life times. I don't really know. I just know that what I do feels very right for me. :)

Quote from: kharul_karyu on February 05, 2010, 06:06:20 PMIt wasn't from eating an apple. Sure, I know it's just a literary theme (like the serpent or Eden itself), a theme about information or knowledge... but I think the knowledge was the knowing of how to control other people.

There's this great quote on my wall calendar at work, which I don't have handy and I can't remember the author's name either, so I can't look it up. :( But what it more or less says is this: We lost the wonder in the world when we started using the word to define the world, rather than as a way to talk about it; forget the words for a day and experience the world as it is, and find wonder again. I think that's the root of it really. When you start laying down definitions, you can say things like: I am a Being, I have a soul/anima/self-consciousness/whatever; that cat is not a being like me, and therefore it has no soul/anima/self-consciousness/whatever. It doesn't have this quality and therefore I can kill it without care, I can torture it, whatever. In the end I think we are only hurting ourselves when we do this.

The Na'vi .. they are interesting because they are like us before we started down that path, but they are also articulate and modern in many ways. They live in their world and they can talk about it and even manipulate it as needed (Hometree, their weaving, bows and arrows, even tsaheylu) but it's clear that they believe that they are part of their world and not separate from it; and if anyone is defining anything, their world is defining them. They're content to let it do so and then find joy within it. It's a fresh breath of humble air :)

I should stop taking the thread off-topic here though .. ;D I would love to continue this discussion if I make it to a meet-up. I probably can't come to the one in Seattle but I'd like to come to the Portland one if/when it happens.

kharul_karyu

Kaiatéya, I would have to agree with your thoughts on Life... souls, like those such as cats. I think there needs to be a restructure of "everything" in the consciousness of Mankind if we are to get out of this "alive."

Money is too overvalued. Souls are too undervalued.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaia herself starts "sneezing" soon in the form of giant hurricanes, having gigantic fevers (summer droughts) and chills (note the ongoing winter storms here in North America!) and other disasters, just to rid herself of this overwhelming plague all over her... because we don't value THAT soul, either.

Her health matters most. Not the need for money, possessions or the like.

MaTe

Let's plan for 2:15pm on 14th - alot of people are not local, daytime should help with logistics and if you have plans for 14th evening, you would not have to cheat on SO.
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

kharul_karyu

Why do you need to cheat at all anyway? If we all strive to be honest as Humans, isn't there enough for everyone?

I mean... if there is one thing about the Na'vi, everyone, it seems, is on the same page. There is a universal connection with all tribe members in the Omaticaya clan.

Granted, we'll never be anything like the Na'vi. But I think it's at least somewhat heartwarming that there COULD BE intelligent life out there that is light years ahead of us in terms of maturity and the understanding of connection. And something to shoot for.

But then I've never been much of a pessimist or a realist. :/

Kaiatéya

Quote from: MaTe on February 05, 2010, 10:02:16 PM
Let's plan for 2:15pm on 14th - alot of people are not local, daytime should help with logistics and if you have plans for 14th evening, you would not have to cheat on SO.

Also happens to be my birthday ;D I so wish we could go. I'd really like to meet some of you.