"404 Not Found" translation

Started by Lisa, April 16, 2011, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

I saw this page today and loved it!  It's probably one of the best 404 Not Found messages I've ever seen.  :)

It's very clever, and they have the 404 message in Klingon as well.  But NO NA'VI!   Not good...we need to fix this.  

I don't think we have a word for page, but some of those messages don't use any specific term so perhaps we could just use this thing.

Does this work?  Or is there a better way to say it?

624ᵒ Nìkeftxo futa ngal fwerew ke lu fìtseng.
404 Sadly this thing which you are seeking is not here.

I originally had it written with fì'ut a but remembered that's futa... is that right?  

At any rate, I'd love to send the ibiblio webfolks a correct Na'vi sentence so they can add it to the page; all corrections and/or alternate sentences are very welcome.    :)

Update:

404 Fì'ul a ngal fwerew ke tok fìtsengit.
404 This thing which you are seeking is not here.

Thanks to Inspirata and Lance R. Casey for the corrections.  :)

Update 2:

And an alternative sentence from Plumps:

404 Ngal fwerew a fì'u ke fkeytok.
404 This thing which you are seeking does not exist.

Update 3: Changed the octal number back to original status code, as per omängum fra'uti's suggestion.
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on April 16, 2011, 09:37:06 PM
º624 (Nìkeftxo) fì'ul a ngal fwerew, ke lu tok fìtsengit.

/corrections

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Lisa

Quote from: Inspirata on April 16, 2011, 10:30:48 PM
lu tok

*head slap*   

I keep forgetting about tok.  And thanks for the other corrections.... maybe one day I'll get it right.  :)

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on April 16, 2011, 09:37:06 PM
º624 Fì'ul a ngal fwerew, ke tok fìtsengit.

Still need agentive case in the subordinate clause, since fwew is transitive -- and I'd scrap the comma.

And whoever wrote that "Klingon" has no honor. "Information-scraper demonstrate fail utterly"? Qu'vatlh!

// Lance R. Casey

Plumps

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on April 16, 2011, 10:45:26 PM
Quote from: Inspirata on April 16, 2011, 10:30:48 PM
lu tok

*head slap*   

I keep forgetting about tok.  And thanks for the other corrections.... maybe one day I'll get it right.  :)

There's also the 'new' fkeytok, exist ;) Remember there is never only one way to translate something.

ngal fwerew a fì'u ke fkeytok.

Stranger Come Knocking

;D Best 404 page EVAR.  And it comes in LOLcat.  But it needs a little work. 'All ur page r belong to us now.  U can haz 404' seems more appropriate.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 17, 2011, 11:03:02 AM
why say fì'u? I'd just say 'u.

This form seems to be more common.                                                                     
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Lisa

Quote from: Plumps on April 17, 2011, 04:54:58 AM
There's also the 'new' fkeytok, exist ;) Remember there is never only one way to translate something.

ngal fwerew a fì'u ke fkeytok.

Oooh, good call!  I remember seeing that word now that you mention it, but I'm (obviously) not doing a very good job keeping up with all the new vocabulary.   Tìmokìri ngeyä oe ngaru seiyi irayo!  :)

My first thought when I was reading your sentence was "why wasn't it fì'ut?", but after I looked at it closer I think I might understand.  Is the logic here that since nga goes with (in the same clause as?) fwew and fwew is transitive, nga gets the agentive but fì'u goes with fkeytok and fkeytok is intransitive,  so no case on fì'u?    ???

(ngal fwerew) a (fì'u ke fkeytok)

Hìtxoa, cases still confuse the hell out of me sometimes.   :(

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

omängum fra'uti

A bit off-topic, but in this case I'd stick with 404, and not try to take the number 404 and turn it into octal.

The reason is it isn't a number, it's a status code.  The first digit is the type of status.  1xx = informational, 2xx = success, 3xx = redirection, 4xx = client error (IE badly formed request, document doesn't exist) and 5xx = server error.

If you convert it into octal, it loses its ability to be a status code, as now 144-309 = information, 310-453 = success, 454-619 = redirection, 620-763 = client error, and 764-1130 = server error, which makes no sense.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Carborundum

Where's Muzer when you need him?
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Lisa

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 17, 2011, 11:58:18 PM
A bit off-topic, but in this case I'd stick with 404, and not try to take the number 404 and turn it into octal.

The reason is it isn't a number, it's a status code.  The first digit is the type of status.  1xx = informational, 2xx = success, 3xx = redirection, 4xx = client error (IE badly formed request, document doesn't exist) and 5xx = server error.

If you convert it into octal, it loses its ability to be a status code, as now 144-309 = information, 310-453 = success, 454-619 = redirection, 620-763 = client error, and 764-1130 = server error, which makes no sense.

You're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about the status code aspect.  And I agree, it does make sense to leave the digits alone.

I had sent the request to the ibiblio webfolks last night, so I'll go back and add to my request that if they can add Na'vi to their list of languages (please please please!) to ignore the octal conversion.  Thanks for bringing that up!  :)

Ataeghane

404 not found.
404 ke rolun fkol.

Not the easiest way?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Lisa

Quote from: Ataeghane on April 21, 2011, 02:59:34 PM
404 not found.
404 ke rolun fkol.

Not the easiest way?

Perhaps the easiest way but most of the messages on that page (that I could understand :) ) were more verbose, and I was trying to stay in that format/style.   ;)

Ataeghane

Polish translation is "Takiej strony nie ma", that is: "There is no page like this". So what about: Ke l(äng)u fì... oh, no word for "page". :( What about fya'o?

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Ataeghane on April 21, 2011, 02:59:34 PM
404 not found.
404 ke rolun fkol.

Not the easiest way?
even easier: 404 ketsukrun

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Ataeghane