Re: Nature and sun?

Started by Plumps, April 23, 2011, 04:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

Quote from: Ikranari on April 23, 2011, 03:09:35 AM
What is the word for nature? Can't find anything in the dictonaryes...
But I think I can remember that it was a word for it  :-\

Well, there was a discussion at some point that basically said would the Na'vi know a word for nature if they knew nothing else? :P That assumes the pair 'nature–civilizated world' (or whatever you want to oppose it with).
Maybe it's hidden in meoauniaea somehow. For now, I think it's best to use kifkey – because the Na'vi simply don't know anything else than na'rìng, txampay, txayo, ... and all the living creatures in the 'physical world'

Quote from: Ikranari on April 23, 2011, 03:09:35 AM
I wanted to say that yeasterday was sunny.... or that to yeasterday it was sun...
trramur tsawkxe lamu

Seems we have to wait for Frommer's next blog entry...
I think lamu tsawke trram would work as well... I seem to remember as well that these time words can be used as nouns or adverbs but with 'yesterday' I'm not sure.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Plumps on April 23, 2011, 04:30:19 AM
Well, there was a discussion at some point that basically said would the Na'vi know a word for nature if they knew nothing else? :P That assumes the pair 'nature–civilizated world' (or whatever you want to oppose it with).
Maybe it's hidden in meoauniaea somehow. For now, I think it's best to use kifkey – because the Na'vi simply don't know anything else than na'rìng, txampay, txayo, ... and all the living creatures in the 'physical world'
My first thought is if you tried to explain the concept of nature to a Na'vi, they would probably say it was Eywa.  (Though in the reverse, if they tried to explain Eywa to a tawtute, we would say it was mother nature, not just nature.)

QuoteSeems we have to wait for Frommer's next blog entry...
I think lamu tsawke trram would work as well... I seem to remember as well that these time words can be used as nouns or adverbs but with 'yesterday' I'm not sure.

Agree about waiting for the next blog entry, but "trram" is most definitely useful in an adverb context.  One of our oldest examples from Frommer, from before Avatar was even in theaters, "Oel hu txewì trram na'rìngit tarmok", there yesterday is acting very much adverbially.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Nawmtxep

Quote1. What is the word for nature? I can't find it in the dictionaries provided.

Well, I know about the word 'Rrta, but I don't think that'd be considered the word for nature. The Na'vi would probably say that it was Eywa if you tried to describe nature to them, so I'm not sure if there's a word for nature.  :-\

Yayo

That is the noun for Earth. The human's earth. I don't see how it could mean nature. Although, I agree with Plumps. Kifkey seems appropriate.  :-\

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Nawmtxep

Well, the word Kifkey seems more appropriate for nature, but doesn't it mean world?  ???

Yayo

World around. On Pandora, inevitably nature.

Yayo on facebook

Nawmtxep

Oh, I see what you mean. I'd use the word Kifkey for now until we hear of a new word meaning nature.  :)

Kamean

Well. I use it too.
And thanks to the spring, I realized that we need a word for grass. ;)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Plumps

Well, then ... quick to the LEP and suggest it ;)

;D

Kamean

Yes, but I have any ideas about grass.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

I'd use the word Eywa'eveng for nature.
perhaps the word is somewhere inside meoauniaea. the "me" may be from me'em and the rest is either nature or a part of it, or just a big nonsense scribble scrubble. :)
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Yayo

I thought Eywa'eveng referred to Pandora? Pandoran nature is significantly different to Earth's nature.

Yayo on facebook

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

for the Na'vi it is their nature. in English "Earth" and "nature" can mean the same things so why not in Na'vi.

Yayo

Because world refers to where all of the creatures live and how they interact with one another. An "ecosystem" if you will. Whilst nature is just the plant life.

Yayo on facebook

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

I wouldn't say nature is "just" plant life. it's all that hasn't been changed by man (or Na'vi).