Animal names

Started by owen_thornton, January 17, 2011, 09:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen_thornton

just a thought, would animal names (of our creatures) stay the same in converstaion? or would we need to come up with new names for them?
"and so it ended, not with a bang or a whimper, but with nightmarish howls of glee" grubbs grady
"male tomboy, running, jumping, climbing trees and putting makeup on while ur upthere" points if u know this comedian
"you can never step in the same river twice" cannae remember XD but i likes it
"yesterday is history, tomorow is a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why it is called the present" master oogway

oeyä tireaioang syaw fko Aruthey.

Tirea Aean

yeah. of course the Na'vi wouldnt say

Oel tsole'a thanatorit trram

but instead would say

Oel tsole'a palulukanit trram

Im not 100% sure if that's what you meant or not..

Kì’onga Vul

I think at the moment, we just have to deal with the English names for them until we get further word.  For instance, Lu pxaya monkey kelkumì oeyä.  Or Oel pheasant-it tìmaron.

There are some animals, though, that we have.  For instance, tsyìräfì is a (Frommerian) loanword from English for "giraffe."  Also, with general animals like a fish (payoang) or a bird (yayo), people use the Na'vi word (the idea of a bird or fish is similar enough on both Pandora and Earth.)

However, I saw someone translate "doggy" as nantangtsyìp, or "little viperwolf."  Technically, this refers specifically to a viperwolf and not a Terran dog, but on Earth we know what he's getting at.

If you just want to say "animal," though, and don't need to specify, use ioang or perhaps even swirä.
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kì'onga Vul on January 17, 2011, 02:27:41 PM
I think at the moment, we just have to deal with the English names for them until we get further word. 

There are some animals, though, that we have.  For instance, tsyìräfì is a (Frommerian) loanword from English for "giraffe."  Also, with general animals like a fish (payoang) or a bird (yayo), people use the Na'vi word (the idea of a bird or fish is similar enough on both Pandora and Earth.)

However, I saw someone translate "doggy" as nantangtsyìp, or "little viperwolf."  Technically, this refers specifically to a viperwolf, but on Earth we know what he's getting at.

If you just want to say animal, though, and don't need to specify, use ioang or perhaps even swirä.

OOHH I get it now. yes, I agree with this. You can use loans, or just use the pandoran animal closest.

I believe I started nantangtsyìp to mean dog ;D (as heard on TireaRadio, the recording of me and Prrton chatting) (I dont remember seeing it before I said it in that conversation) He knew what I was talking about and he even LoLd a little bit. it came up because my dogs started barking >.<

Yayo

Tirea thought that you were referring to Pandoran animals..

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Nice question! :D

I wonder if Frommer is going to loan other animal names! :o But as mentioned by Kì'onga Vul, at least we have the equivalent of fish and bird, which is already not bad. :)

'Oma Tirea

Eltur tìtxen si...

Generally, for 'Rrtan equivalents of known Na'vi names for Pandoran animals, I just tack a -tsyìp onto the end, n.k.:

Palulukantsyìp - Cat
Nantangtsyìp - Dog
Pa'litsyìp - Horse
Syaksyuktsyìp - Monkey

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kì’onga Vul

I feel like a cat would have to be more like a Palulukantsyìptsyìp.   :P
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

owen_thornton

i only asked because i was thinkin about changing one of my signature quotes, to something about my Dæmon. although i know that ill definately never find a translation for Dæmon and will probably have to use soul XD
"and so it ended, not with a bang or a whimper, but with nightmarish howls of glee" grubbs grady
"male tomboy, running, jumping, climbing trees and putting makeup on while ur upthere" points if u know this comedian
"yesterday is history, tomorow is a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why it is called the present" master oogway

Carborundum

Quote from: owen_thornton on January 18, 2011, 05:18:37 AM
i only asked because i was thinkin about changing one of my signature quotes, to something about my Dæmon. although i know that ill definately never find a translation for Dæmon and will probably have to use soul XD
The word for demon is vrrtep.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Herwìna

Daemon is not the same thing as a demon. Although I'm not sure if Owen talks about a pet named Daemon or an actual entity?
Siyevop nga nìzawnong ayukmì, vaykrr oengeyä mefya'o ultxaräpun fìtsap nìmun.

Oe zawng
nga zawng
nìwotx awnga zawng
fte oeti zeykivawng

Ngal yamom fì'ut srak?!

owen_thornton

its not demon in the sense of satans versions of angels, but dæmon as in the his dark materials stories, for the conscience part of the soul, that takes an animal form on the outside of the body. i think there is something very similar described by one of the ancient greek philosophers XD

Herwìna

I was thinking an entity is not a good term. xD because if it is a part of you then it is not a separate being and then "entity" isn't correct. I'll see if I could find some kind of a translation.

Edit//
Do you think you could describe your daimon in a few English words, like "guide spirit" for example, if it is your conscience? That then could be translated into na'vi.

Edit2//
Or would you consider your daimon to be your spirit animal? I would pretty much consider them to be the same thing, as spirit animals are often considered to be guides. Spirit animal=tireaioang. That would even be a genuine Na'vi word.
I'm overusing the word "consider" xD

Oe zawng
nga zawng
nìwotx awnga zawng
fte oeti zeykivawng

Ngal yamom fì'ut srak?!

Carborundum

Demon, daemon, dæmon and daimon all mean the same thing in English. The meaning used in "His Dark Materials" is Phillip Pullman's own invention and does not reflect the actual meaning.

As a translation of dæmon as it is used in HDM I would consider tireaioang to be near-perfect.

owen_thornton

Quote from: CarborundumThe meaning used in "His Dark Materials" is Phillip Pullman's own invention and does not reflect the actual meaning.
he took the idea from something, i think, Plato wrote about, im not completely sure it was that philospher, and the name of it was daimon, its not the same thing thing really, and in english demon is completely different, they, my friend, are satans equivalent of angels, twisted into horrifying shapes

but thanks both of you for the help, and i will be using tireaioang when i mess with my signature XD

Herwìna

Carborundum, may I suggest you visit wikipedia? Although the idea of daimons appearing as animals is probably Pullman's own idea (or affected by spirit animals) daimon=/=demon. Pullman is not the creator of daimons as guide spirits!  ;D
Actually the words daimon, daemon and demon have originally nothing to do with the evil spirits depicted in bible, I would actually say that Christians' starting to use the word daimon when talking about evil spirits was merely a way to blackmail guide spirits - and thus make the people to think they are evil, thereby they stopped to believe in daimons as guide spirits.
If this makes sense in any way.

Oe zawng
nga zawng
nìwotx awnga zawng
fte oeti zeykivawng

Ngal yamom fì'ut srak?!

Carborundum

Quote from: lumivalko on January 18, 2011, 06:34:17 AM
Carborundum, may I suggest you visit wikipedia?
May I suggest you consult the Oxford English dictionary?

Herwìna

I don't own one. Please quote it for me.

Oe zawng
nga zawng
nìwotx awnga zawng
fte oeti zeykivawng

Ngal yamom fì'ut srak?!

owen_thornton

GUYS, dont fight, ints unbecoming of you both. language is always changing, and so what something once meant, isnt what it means (for the most part) now

but does this seem logical?
oeyä (tireaioang) syaw fko Aruthey. Po na lynx
my (daemon) is called Aruthey. She is a lynx

Herwìna

It seems logical to me but I don't know almost anything about Na'vi but I have to say that that is so sweet!<3

Oe zawng
nga zawng
nìwotx awnga zawng
fte oeti zeykivawng

Ngal yamom fì'ut srak?!