mìn or kìm?

Started by Plumps, February 05, 2011, 04:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

Ma frapo,

I'm working on a song translation. It's about dancing. I'm using srew so often already that I thought it would be good to circumscribe a bit. Would you describe the action that a dancer performs as mìn, 'turn' or kìm, 'spin'?

I tried to find examples of these words but I think only mìnyu is attested for a plant in the Pandorapedia.

Thoughts are appreciated. :)

Sireayä mokri

Maybe rikx would also work? :D
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Alaksi

I thin kìm would work best, but, as Sireayä mokri has said, rikx is also a good idea. If you have to say "dance" many times, maybe the best would be to use all of the words? (mìn, kìm, rikx and srew)
If I make any mistakes, either in English (I'm not a native speaker) or in Na'vi, please correct them, either in my posts or sending a PM.
Irayo!

"This is my timey wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."
---The Doctor

Plumps

Thanks for the feedback ;)

Another interesting question. If I were to use all these and wanted to make them into agents
   srew => srewyu, "dancer"
   kìm => kìmyu, "spinner, one who spins" ... ;D I'm sorry, I have to grin every time I use that because in German this word (Spinner) is a variant of skxawng :P
   rikx => rikxyu, "mover, one who moves"
but would
   mìn => mìnyu, "turner" be understood as the person who turns, right away or would it be thought of as the plant?

:-\

zineketaye

Quote from: Plumps

mìn => mìnyu, "turner" be understood as the person who turns, right away or would it be thought of as the plant?
:-\

I think you may rely on the power of context.
Projektprozente:
1 (aU): 5,0; 2: 0,0; 3: 26,3 (31,0; 26,3; 32,4)

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Plumps on February 06, 2011, 03:05:24 AM

I would think about person :) Also, there should be a reason why plant is called "turner", right?
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Plumps

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on February 06, 2011, 06:53:59 AM
I would think about person :) Also, there should be a reason why plant is called "turner", right?

Well, I tried to find a visual of the 'turner, twisted lily' but have been unsuccessful so far ... alright then, thank you all for your comments. :) Will see what I can and will do.