Big gaping hole in my knowledge

Started by AuLekye'ung, February 09, 2010, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuLekye'ung

Seems like this should be obvious, but...

Fti, fwi, all those.  What are they?
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

I can't find either of those words, so I don't know what you're asking about...
Kuarŏ na nama tanayi cawŏŏt, kuo nim zaosmaŏt.
"Out of what crypt they crawl, I cannot tell."

AuLekye'ung

They aren't in the dictionary, and I feel like they are forms of another word.
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

How have you seen them used contextually?

AuLekye'ung

All over the place, most notably in the http://forum.learnnavi.org/sentence-analysis/complex-translation/ thread in:

QuotePelun? Nga oer perängawm san pelun?  Fa fra'u a oe salmi fti ngati munge fìtseng, fa fra'u a oe soli fti si futa oe a'usì'awn fìtseng, nga ke tslam futa lu nga oeru fwa tsun livängu letsunslu fyape?

I started translating, then realized I don't actually know the fti thing.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

Quote from: Keye'unga Au on February 09, 2010, 08:42:58 PM
All over the place, most notably in the http://forum.learnnavi.org/sentence-analysis/complex-translation/ thread in:

QuotePelun? Nga oer perängawm san pelun?  Fa fra'u a oe salmi fti ngati munge fìtseng, fa fra'u a oe soli fti si futa oe a'usì'awn fìtseng, nga ke tslam futa lu nga oeru fwa tsun livängu letsunslu fyape?

I started translating, then realized I don't actually know the fti thing.

I think it cooooould be a typo or misuse of a word...because the author of that thread uses si as a verb, but it can't standalone. Maybe they thought fti was something it isn't?

Ftia is the word for "study"... Closest resemblance I can find. I don't know of any words that meld together to make "fti", either.

Edit: they say fti means "for", but I can't find it. I think they mean fpi, "for the sake of".

AuLekye'ung

No, it's not a typo, and it is a direct quote from the movie.

Si can be standalone in certain circumstances.

I think I just found the answers I need.

Irayo for your help.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

QuoteSo, i was looking at this quote, and thinking it would be great to translate because the vocab is simple but the syntax is complex.  You get cool points if you know where the quote is from.

I think that's what the author of the post translated, not the exact quote from the movie...I'm not sure that was in the movie. >_>

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on January 29, 2010, 09:57:11 PM
Si is an auxiliary verb.  You use it to make a noun/adjective into a verb.  Use txula (to build) for "make."

:)

AuLekye'ung

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

AuLekye'ung

The above quote I translated to, roughly:

Why?  You ask why I say (this?)?  With everything that I do for you here, with everything I did so I could stay here, you don't understand that I could possibly be (one of you?)?

Fti = for; I haven't found an actual explanation, but this is what it is always translated to in any translations I've seen

http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/futa-fwa-tsni-a-help!/ explains futa, etc.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

I searched the entire Beginner and Intermediate boards and didn't find fti anywhere else than this thread and that one you saw it in. I don't think....I don't think fti is...right? Dunno.

I need someone more experienced to help!!!

AuLekye'ung

Correction:  he made a typo; he meant fpi, not fti.

Fpi = for the sake of
Fti doesn't exist; you were correct.

- Älpert Aynstayn

SanguineEpitaph

Quote from: Keye'unga Au on February 10, 2010, 12:53:10 PM
Correction:  he made a typo; he meant fpi, not fti.

Fpi = for the sake of
Fti doesn't exist; you were correct.

I know, I saw the thread.  :D  ;)