Need some help

Started by Txantslusama tsamsiyu, December 31, 2009, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

kaltxi I'm a beginner in the na'vi language. I was wondering if my name is correct, it should be wise warrior. What should i start on when first starting this language?

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

I'm not too strong in translation, but (im prob wrong) Wise is describing(Adj) the warrior (the noun) so it should be:

Txantslusam-a Tsamsiyu?

Because, the way i take it, the Na'Vi adjectives are followed by the syllable -a- which is placed on the side closest to the noun.

for ex.

ngim-a kilvan
long-ATTR river

But seeing as wise is already an adjective i'm not sure. Either way, Welcome, and you should start by reading posts on the beginners forums and printing and studying the pocket guide to suck up as much info as possible.

Eywa Ngahu,

-Raptor
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

Thanks, but i could use some more input to make a decision. I was wondering is there a way to change your name without making a new account.

Eywayä mokri

You can change the nick seen by the others in your profile section. :) The only thing that will remain the same in the nickname used to login. ;)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Txantslusam tsamsiyu on December 31, 2009, 06:48:54 PM
Thanks, but i could use some more input to make a decision. I was wondering is there a way to change your name without making a new account.

Completely understandable, in fact, im glad you have the common sense to listen to more than one person, your going to shine in this language brother :D.
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

omängum fra'uti

I'll agree with the raptor.  When an adjective is modifying a noun, it gets "-a" suffix if it comes before the noun, or "a-" prefix if it comes after.  (We put the hyphen in for words often, but it's just there to clarify for people who aren't used to the Na'vi syntax and grammar yet.  It isn't actually part of how you'd write it.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on December 31, 2009, 07:40:40 PM
I'll agree with the raptor.  When an adjective is modifying a noun, it gets "-a" suffix if it comes before the noun, or "a-" prefix if it comes after.  (We put the hyphen in for words often, but it's just there to clarify for people who aren't used to the Na'vi syntax and grammar yet.  It isn't actually part of how you'd write it.)

O yes, my bad. I'm glad you pointed that out, it slipped my mind to write it out without the - in it, ill have to watch that in my future.

Txantslusama tsamsiyu

Thank you all for your help, i hope to be at your level someday. So is my name correct now?

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

Not quite, i mean it is, but as me and omängum fra'uti were discussing, when we wrote Txantslusam-a the hyphen was just to help illustrate what addition was mande to the word itself, if you were to type it formally, it wouldn't be there.

Sorry for the confusion, i guess this is why it's important to type right.

So just take out the - and you'll be good.

Irayo, Eywa Ngahu,
-Raptor

Txantslusama tsamsiyu