Help with a sentence!

Started by Yawnetu, January 03, 2011, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yawnetu

Kaltxì ma frapo!

So now i have finally tried to translate my first sentence! It would be great if somebody could tell me how to translate this correctly :D

I never thought i was gonna make it.

Oe kawkrr sp<am>aw oe emz<iv>a'u tsal.

Haha, i bet this phrase is filled with mistakes, but i can never learn if i don't ask! =)

Kemaweyan

Oel kawkrr ke fpamìl futa kaman fìkem sivi.
  I never didn't think that: I was going to make this action. (literally)

Well.. Now I'll try to explain this sentence...

Oe-l kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl fì'u-t a k<am>an fì-kem s<iv>i.

Oe-l: a subject of transitive verb fpìl (to think), so use agentive case -l/-ìl
kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl: in Na'vi you should use double negation.
kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl: past tense infix -am-, because you said "thought"
fì'u-t a: an object of your thought, use patientive case
fì'u-t a: attributive marker to connect subordinate clause kaman fìkem sivi to the word fì'ut
fì'ut a becomes futa
k<am>an: also past tense infix (because you said "was gonna")
fì-kem s<iv>i: prefix fì- means this (anything)
fì-kem s<iv>i: for actions use kem (action) instead of 'u (thing)
fì-kem s<iv>i: this is modal construction, we always should use infix -iv-. Oe kan fìkem sivi - I'm gonna make it. Kan is modal verb, so use -iv- in the verb fìkem si
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on January 03, 2011, 05:04:15 PM
  Oel kawkrr ke fpamìl futa kaman fìkem sivi.
  I never didn't think that: I was going to make this action. (literally)

Well.. Now I'll try to explain this sentence...

Oe-l kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl fì'u-t a k<am>an fì-kem s<iv>i.

Oe-l: a subject of transitive verb fpìl (to think), so use agentive case -l/-ìl
kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl: in Na'vi you should use double negation.
kawkrr ke fp<am>ìl: past tense infix -am-, because you said "thought"
fì'u-t a: an object of your thought, use patientive case
fì'u-t a: attributive marker to connect subordinate clause kaman fìkem sivi to the word fì'ut
fì'ut a becomes futa
k<am>an: also past tense infix (because you said "was gonna")
fì-kem s<iv>i: prefix fì- means this (anything)
fì-kem s<iv>i: for actions use kem (action) instead of 'u (thing)
fì-kem s<iv>i: this is modal construction, we always should use infix -iv-. Oe kan fìkem sivi - I'm gonna make it. Kan is modal verb, so use -iv- in the verb fìkem si

hopefully the beginners would be able to understand such things as

transitive verb agentive case
direct object, patientive case
attributive marker, subordinate clause
modal contstruction, modal verb

:/

but yeah... I think you are right.

Yawnetu

Thank you so much! Now it all makes sense (...almost..) :D
I'm gonna study this and learn the grammar better! But DAMN this language is such a pain! Haha.

Le'eylan

Quote from: Yawnetu on January 04, 2011, 05:27:56 AM
Thank you so much! Now it all makes sense (...almost..) :D
I'm gonna study this and learn the grammar better! But DAMN this language is such a pain! Haha.

I'm so happy that you're learning the language :D In the beginning everything is a pain >__<
Feel free to ask stuff in Swedish as well! Or PM me :)
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Sireayä mokri

But DAMN this language is such a pain! Haha.

It's repetition, repetition ;)
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on January 04, 2011, 07:54:45 AM

its cuz people insist on teaching it like a 300 level college professor when the language itself is kindergarten level...

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 04, 2011, 10:08:35 AM

its cuz people insist on teaching it like a 300 level college professor when the language itself is kindergarten level...

It's true that everything gets much easier when the technical terms are removed! :P However, I guess it's essential to eventually learn these terms in order to really be able to point out accurately what you're talking about.

Carborundum

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 06:17:07 PM

It's true that everything gets much easier when the technical terms are removed! :P However, I guess it's essential to eventually learn these terms in order to really be able to point out accurately what you're talking about.
I disagree. Once you figure out what the technical term mean, they are an amazing tool. A good understanding of grammar isn't strictly necessary when learning a new language, but in my opinion it's a shame to discard such a powerful tool just because it isn't immediately obvious how to use it.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Carborundum on January 04, 2011, 06:23:34 PM

I disagree. Once you figure out what the technical term mean, they are an amazing tool. A good understanding of grammar isn't strictly necessary when learning a new language, but in my opinion it's a shame to discard such a powerful tool just because it isn't immediately obvious how to use it.

Yes, I understand your point! That's why I'm struggling with the grammatical terms nonetheless, although they might only look like a pain at the beginning. Because of course it seems easier without them, when you don't go deeper into things, but I know that you come to appreciate having learnt them after some time since, as you say, they are in fact amazing tools.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Carborundum on January 04, 2011, 06:23:34 PM

imo it just. seems to overcomplicate things and make it difficult for beginners to learn. sure these terms are great for intermediates and advanced guys to discuss specific things in the grammar. I believe there is a reason we have a separate forum for beginners.  can't wait to finish my document on linguistic terms for the nonlinguist. :)

I'm just makin the point that many people come here who have no linguistic experience at all and get scared away and don't get these terms. scaring people away from learning the language is the LAST THING I wanna do. ;)