How to say, "How many..."

Started by Lrrtoksì nìhawng, February 19, 2010, 10:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

I'm asking because peyfa pxay just screams, "Idiom! Bad dog!"

The alternative ways like, "What amount..." or "What number..." involve words that I don't think we have yet. Is there an accepted way to ask "How many X" in Na'vi? If there isn't I'm okay with it. I have a plan B to work around the problem but if I can have this phrase it would make things much more elegant.

I've been working on making some number worksheets but the project is quickly turning into a Na'vi math book. (Think kindergarten through second grade on Pandora.)
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Will Txankamuse

random guess... maybe pepay?

from pe- affix and pxay.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

omängum fra'uti

Peholpxay maybe...  (What number)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

Okay, so quick story problem with your suggestion:

Sa'nok-ru volaw ay-ki'ong lamu. Sempul yimom mrr ay-ki'ong-it. Sa'nok-ru peholpxay ay-ki'ong lu set?

I'd prefer Sempul yimon mrr-it if that's allowed. I'm trying to set it up so that if someone worked through the Na'vi activity book they could get through these puzzles without crying...much.
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Carborundum

You could certainly drop the object in the second sentence, since it's obvious from the context what is being eaten (you could add a topical to ki'ong of the first sentence if you want to be very clear). The accusative suffix wouldn't jump over to the determiner though.
Also, a few corrections:
1. In 'someone have something' type sentences, lu always comes right at the beginning of the clause. Frommer has said so, although as far as I'm aware no explanation of why that is so has been given.
2. Ay+ causes lenition, so ayki'ong-->ayhi'ong or just hi'ong
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Erimeyz

Quote from: Carborundum on February 20, 2010, 05:40:20 PM
1. In 'someone have something' type sentences, lu always comes right at the beginning of the clause. Frommer has said so, although as far as I'm aware no explanation of why that is so has been given.
Actually, he said "usually", not "always".  Of course, he didn't give us any guidance as to when they might or might not, so it's probably best to put it first until we learn more.  Note that in Ngaru lu fpom srak? Do you have well-being? "How are you?" it comes in the middle...

- Eri

Unil Akawng

Kaltxì!
Alas, I have no useful ideas for "how many" beyond what Omängum Fra'uti suggested (peholpxay or pehol). I have the followhin nit to pick, though:
Quote from: Lrrtoksì nìhawng on February 20, 2010, 12:53:19 AM
Sempul yimom mrr ay-ki'ong-it.

It's Sempulìl yìmom kì'ongit amrr, because when a number modifies a noun, a singular form is used for the noun, and a is necessary for the number.
Tukruhu ne ayoeng zola'u a fkori tukrufa tìyerkup! - Александр Невский
На'ви-русский словарь v.2.09 для jMemorize