How would you sing "Happy Birthday" in Na'vi?

Started by EstebanAVTRBoy, December 19, 2012, 01:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EstebanAVTRBoy

Kaltxì, ma ayeylan. I want to ask you something. Looking the archive "Na'vi in a Nutshell" from Na'viteri, I discovered the sentence "Happy Birthday!" translated into Na'vi as "Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru!". It's other thing I've learned easily. Well, you know, some of my friends wanted me to sing them Happy Birthday song in Na'vi, when were their birthdays. While thinking in the song the way it is sung in my country, I was searching the meaning in Na'vi of almost every word, and I supposedly composed the entire song translated in Na'vi. And then, I sung it to my friends. This is what I made:

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoengati frapo rangal (We all wish to you; translated in Spanish: Te deseamos todos)
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

But for my need to practice and speak better the Na'vi language or for the way my country sings the Happy Birthday song, I think there could be more ways to sing it in Na'vi. So this is my question. How would you sing Happy Birthday song in Na'vi?
My name is Esteban, and I love Avatar. Oeru syaw Letsteu, sì oeru yawne Uniltìrantokx.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think there is more than one way to make this work. I like:

Ftxozä nitran ngaru
Ftxozä nitran ngaru
Ftxozä nitran ma <name>
Ftxozä nitran ngaru

I have also used:

Ftxozä sìltsan ngaru
Ftxozä sìltsan ngaru
Ftxozä sìltsan ma <name>
Ftxozä sìltsan ngaru

But this is less correct.
Both of these suffer grammatically from not having an attributive -a- on nitram or sìltsan. This was dropped to make the verse more singable. Someone else might have an alternative construction that does not have this problem.

The version from NiAN roughly translates as: 'Celebration smile to you'. NiAN, unfortunately, is starting to become a dated document.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

EstebanAVTRBoy

I think I can make my song composition in a much better way, using more often and clearly the pronouns "we" and "you". The result is this:

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoeng ngati frapo rangal
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
My name is Esteban, and I love Avatar. Oeru syaw Letsteu, sì oeru yawne Uniltìrantokx.

Plumps

Quote from: EstebanAVTRBoy on December 21, 2012, 09:50:18 AM
Ayoeng ngati frapo rangal

That line makes no sense. First, rangal is intransitive, so there can't be an L or T ending. Second, it doesn't make sense to use the inclusive form ayoeng (we all + you) to address nga 'you' afterwards. frapo is 'everybody'.
The meaning of 'to you' is in the ngaru of the previous lines.
The long form would probably be

ayoe rangal tsnì ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru li(ye)vu
'we wish that concerning the happy occasion you may have smiles'

Tirea Aean

Ah! A crosspost from ToS

My answer there was this:

Quote from: TireaAean;177556Nice attempt! Strangely enough, this is the first time in all my time I have seen anyone try to translate the Happy Birthday song. :D

That third line is only a tiny bit sketchy. Mainly because rangal cannot take objects in the -ti case, and the meaning you have by using it isn't exactly what you wanted. Plus, ayoeng includes you. Inclusinve form of we doesnt make much sense when you say "we wish you...". I think what you want to say based on the English translation of that line is,

Rangal ayoe ngaru
or
Rangal frapo ngaru

EDIT: To make it more singable, may I propose a new version which matches the syllables of the (English)original without losing total meaning,

Ftxozäri aylrrtok
Ftxozäri aylrrtok
Ngar ayoe rangal
Ftxozäri aylrrtok

EstebanAVTRBoy

Ok, I think I've really got it, and got it fine. I've looked more about Na'vi language words, structures, techniques, etc. for the correct use of the words, especially in this song, and I've understood it more or less, but I made another composition that should be better than the last compositions I've made.

For your country, the song is like this:
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ma (name of person)
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

For my country, it is like this:
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoe rangal ngaru nìwotx ("Te deseamos todos"; it is translated in English as "We wish you all")
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

If that's not correct, I will give up and stop to making compositions, I will practice more Na'vi and I will think again of this topic of Happy Birthday sung in Na'vi later.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: EstebanAVTRBoy on December 23, 2012, 01:47:42 PM
Ok, I think I've really got it, and got it fine. I've looked for the correct use of the words and I've understodd it more or less, but it should be better than the last compositions I've made.

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ayoe rangal ngaru nìwotx ("Te deseamos todos"; it is translated in English as "We wish you all")
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

If that's not correct, I will give up and stop to making compositions, I will practice more Na'vi and I will think again of this topic of Happy Birthday sung in Na'vi later.

Perfect. :D

EstebanAVTRBoy

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2012, 01:51:49 PM
Quote from: EstebanAVTRBoy on December 23, 2012, 01:47:42 PM
Ok, I think I've really got it, and got it fine. I've looked for the correct use of the words and I've understodd it more or less, but it should be better than the last compositions I've made.

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru
Ftxozäri aylrrtok ngaru

Perfect. :D
Are you serious? Greaaaat!! :D Thank you very much!! :)

Blue Elf

there is one attempt in Pamtseo nìNa'vi nì'aw section: Ftxozäri Aylrrtok Ngaru, even with singing
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on December 23, 2012, 03:02:03 PM
there is one attempt in Pamtseo nìNa'vi nì'aw section: Ftxozäri Aylrrtok Ngaru, even with singing

Oh. Totally missed that somehow. O.o

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2012, 03:08:01 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on December 23, 2012, 03:02:03 PM

Oh. Totally missed that somehow. O.o

Who would think to even look there ;) (I hadn't seen this until now either, it looks pretty good).