Sentence translation.

Started by Nì'awtua Eyktan, March 30, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Kaltxì everyone. It's late here so my brainfunctions are somewhat impared. I got this crazy idea to translate a song called 'Vandraren' by the duo 'Nordman'. Ofc I run into a problem with the first sentence, and after much searching around the forum I ended up with this:

Ke lu kawtseng kä sopyu-ru krr a po p<ol>ate ro+ i'a.

The traveler has nowhere to go when he's arrived at the end.

The first problem I ran into was not having a word for 'has' and I'm not sure the solutions I found works in this case (lu sopyuru).
Don't remeber what the second problem was. :P

Anyway, I would be grateful for any input and corrections.

Edit: Just noticed that 'i'a is a verb and not a noun. So I would need something like tì'i'aro. Then I thought that edge might work, but there was no word for that either.

wm.annis

Your impulse for "have" — lu with the dative — was correct.

Here's my rendition of the idea.  Let me know if anything doesn't make sense to you...

Ke lu sopyuru kawtseng a tsane tsun kivä, krr a polähem ro sì'i'a.
  The traveler has nowhere where he can go, when he's reached (at) the end.

I'm not entirely sure ro is the correct adposition here (note that it lenits), but it'll do.

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Woho, I got something right.

Could you break down "a tsane" for me? What does it mean, how is it used? From what I could find, tsane is made from tsaw and ne-.

The sentence has become a little too long to fit the song. I'm going to have to rework it, or maybe I should just concentrate on making a direct translation for now. :P

Off topic: What does "enclictic" mean? Google didn't want to tell me. :(

omängum fra'uti

Odd that it didn't catch the misspelling and correct it to enclitic.  You are correct in your analysis of tsane though.

kawtseng a tsane tsun kivä

What this is doing is adding a description to "no place" - the a is attributing the next phrase as a description, and "tsane tsun kivä" is "To that place (traveller) can go" so it's "no place which to that place (traveller) can go", or "nowhere where he can go".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

I also agree that ro is weird here. I'd suggest to use the topical on "tì'i'a" if it fits here.
by the way, I liked the song.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

wm.annis

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 02, 2011, 03:17:50 PM
I also agree that ro is weird here. I'd suggest to use the topical on "tì'i'a" if it fits here.

Ooh, no topical here.  The topical case should be used for, well, topics, and the fixed idioms we've been told so far.  This phrase "arrive at the end" is a complete idea in itself.  Yanking it apart seems too analytic.

Quoteby the way, I liked the song.

Me, too.  With a name like "Nordman" I was afraid I'd hear that horrible Cookie Monster metal voice, but this guy's voice is great.  I am vexed to find this tune unavailable on iTunes.

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Thanks for all the input. :)

Quote from: wm.annis on April 02, 2011, 07:20:19 PM
I am vexed to find this tune unavailable on iTunes.
Does itunes have different selections in different countries? Because I could find it. If that's the case, then it sucks txìm.
It's like when you try to watch a youtube video and it's been blocked in your country because it had a music track that's not been distributed here or something.
Wish I could help somehow. :(