Started by ShadowMainZERO, February 24, 2010, 01:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowMainZERO

Kaltxi.

Fìtseng poan-ä kelka.
This place is his home.
Finished form:
Pe-yä kelku fì'u lu

My second attempt at creating a sentance in Na'vi. I am positive I got almost everything wrong. I plan on getting the grammer basics first before moving on to vocab.

Oe-l <iv>ayoeng om<er>um-it frapo.
I hope we will know eachother.
Finished form:
Ayoeng eylan l<iv>u
Let us be friends.

My first Na'vi sentence. This is the closest I could get to "Let us be friends."

Fy<er>awìnt'u A-mokri l<iv>u hu aynga.
May the Guiding Voice be with you.

and

Kunsìpä fa kllpxìlta n<iv>ekx aynga.
May the gunship with territory destroy you.

Zelenal

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

omängum fra'uti

Not completely wrong, just a few minor things.

First is mostly just a comment on usage more than anything, in Na'vi you usually don't specify the gender like you have to in English, so I'd just use po.  Second is that on po it becomes peyä (Not sure if it would be poaneyä or poanä TBH).

Home is kelku, but I'd imagine that was a typo.

Aside from that, it's potentially unclear if it's this place or home that is his.  In this sense, contextually it would likely be clear, but I try to put genitives in a place where there will not be confusion, for written lines.  Spoken, how it's said could clear it up as well, so perfect positioning isn't always so critical.

Finally, you don't have a verb in there.  The verb in this case would be "lu" - but we've seen sentences without any verb before when it was clear without it.

So, I guess that's the long way of saying....  Looks fine, you just misspelled kelku. :)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

ShadowMainZERO

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 24, 2010, 02:05:53 PM
Not completely wrong, just a few minor things.

First just a comment on usage more than anything, in Na'vi you usually don't specify the gender like you have to in English, so I'd just use po.  Second is that on po it becomes peyä (Not sure if it would be poaneyä or poanä TBH).

Yeah, I was confused on the "his" thing in general.

QuoteHome is kelku, but I'd imagine that was a typo.

lrayo! Yeah, it was a typo. ;D

QuoteAside from that, it's potentially unclear if it's this place or home that is his.  In this sense, contextually it would likely be clear, but I try to put genitives in a place where there will not be confusion, for written lines.  Spoken, how it's said could clear it up as well, so perfect positioning isn't always so critical.

Can you explain that better? I am confused. ???

QuoteFinally, you don't have a verb in there.  The verb in this case would be "lu" - but we've seen sentences without any verb before when it was clear without it.

I thaught lu was "be". ???

QuoteSo, I guess that's the long way of saying....  Looks fine, you just misspelled kelku. :)

Irayo! Also, should I post my other sentances here (I still have my first one) and change the topic title or post a new topic?

Zelenal

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

omängum fra'uti

Fìtsenge peyä
His this-place

Peyä kelku
His home

So....

Fìtsenge peyä kelku...
His home or his place?

And yes, "lu" is "be".  But your English sentence "This is his home" includes a form of "be" - "is".

ShadowMainZERO

Oh, irayo.

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 24, 2010, 02:31:47 PMAnd yes, "lu" is "be".  But your English sentence "This is his home" includes a form of "be" - "is".

Gah! My eighth grade ìnglìsì teacher would probably slap me for forgetting that. :D

What about the other sentence I have? Should I post it in this topic or creat a new one?

omängum fra'uti

Either way, just don't go spamming the forum with a new thread for every little sentence you have or I'll put on my mod hat and start combining or locking threads.  If you re-use the thread you might want to edit the title to reflect that it's not just the original sentence.  If you make a new one, it might be a good idea to combine several sentences into the first post.

ShadowMainZERO

lol Don't worry. The third one will be more complex and cover as much as possible.

Carborundum

Quote from: Zelenal on February 24, 2010, 01:26:55 PM
Oe-l <iv>ayoeng om<er>um-it frapo.
I hope we will know eachother.
This was answered in your original thread, although I suppose it really does fit better in this sub-forum.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

ShadowMainZERO

Oh, irayo anyway. Added two more.