Is this correct?

Started by Arthur, February 08, 2010, 04:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

> If I were to say "It is goo to See* you", would it be "Kame oe ngati a fì'u prrte' lu"?
> * Yes, I did mean Kame, not Tse'a.

SanguineEpitaph

No....
That kind of translates to "I (needs erg.) see you which this pleasure is." I guess it would be like "Broken Na'vi"  ;)

I suppose you could just use the traditional: Oel ngati kameie, but to be different...

Oel ngati kame ulte fìkemìl oeru tìng prrte'it.
I see you and this (action) gives me pleasure.

I think....  :D
Kuarŏ na nama tanayi cawŏŏt, kuo nim zaosmaŏt.
"Out of what crypt they crawl, I cannot tell."

kewnya txamew'itan

Judging by the it is a pleasure to speak to you in Na'vi phrase, Arthur's sentence is correct, it just needs an ergative -l on oe and a dative oe-ru in the second clause.

So it should be:
kame oe-l nga-ti a fì'u prrte' oe-ru lu
this thing that I see you is pleasure to me
it is a pleasure to see you.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Sanmäkx

tìkawngä mungeyu beat me to it. The Corpus is a good reference.

SanguineEpitaph

Would fì'u need to be fìkem, though?

Arthur

kame oe-l nga-ti a fì'u prrte' oe-ru lu
this thing that I see you is pleasure to me
it is a pleasure to see you.

> Mmkay... So... This would mean something like "This thing [which is] that I See you is pleasure to me"?

wm.annis

Quote from: SanguineEpitaph on February 08, 2010, 04:36:39 PMWould fì'u need to be fìkem, though?

The word fì'u is used to anchor phrases that are being turned into nouns, whatever they describe.

Arthur

> So if I have a whole sentence that I want to use as an object (whether it be subject or transitive object), I just do as if I was using a pronoun (like oel, or ngal, etc), but without the Ergative or Accusative sufixes, using, instead, fì'u?

omängum fra'uti

It can indeed take noun cases.  The word "futa" is actually a contraction of a pretty common case of "fì'ut a" - basically saying that the previous clause was done with the accusitive described by the next clause.  "a fì'ut" would be the other way, that the accusative of the following clause is described by the previous clause.  You can even do topic, dative, genitive, adpositions, and whatever else if needed for the sentence.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

SanguineEpitaph

Quote from: wm.annis on February 08, 2010, 05:14:34 PM
Quote from: SanguineEpitaph on February 08, 2010, 04:36:39 PMWould fì'u need to be fìkem, though?

The word fì'u is used to anchor phrases that are being turned into nouns, whatever they describe.

What do you mean?

wm.annis

Quote from: SanguineEpitaph on February 08, 2010, 06:51:42 PMWhat do you mean?

Um. 

The a fì'u (and fì'u a) structures are basically grammatical.  It doesn't matter that fì'u means "this thing" rather than "this action" for the purpose of these constructions.

SanguineEpitaph

Quote from: wm.annis on February 08, 2010, 07:27:31 PM
Quote from: SanguineEpitaph on February 08, 2010, 06:51:42 PMWhat do you mean?

Um. 

The a fì'u (and fì'u a) structures are basically grammatical.  It doesn't matter that fì'u means "this thing" rather than "this action" for the purpose of these constructions.

Irayo!!!!!  :)