Is this right?

Started by Ftxozan, July 29, 2010, 09:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxozan

Keye pxasik! Oyeä ikranìl zene tsapengä pa'lit fìpo, a fì'u spxin lu.

I wanted to say:

"No screw that. My ikran must kill this pa'li, because it is sick."

I know in Na'vi life this prolly wouldn't ever happen. I just want to know if the word order and grammer are correct. Irayo!
Nang! Arrows don't kill people... Na'Vi kill people!

Payä Tìrol

Kehe, pxasìk! Oeyä ikran zene tspivang pa'liti taluna tsaw spxin lu.

I think that's right, at least
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

wm.annis

Quote from: Payä Tìrol on July 29, 2010, 09:59:29 AM
Kehe, pxasìk! Oeyä ikran zene tspivang pa'liti taluna tsaw spxin lu.

An ikran is a living thing.  It's probably better to use po rather than tsaw to refer to it.

Ftxozan

Nang! Arrows don't kill people... Na'Vi kill people!

Atsawl

Quote from: Ftxozan on July 29, 2010, 10:40:01 PM
Cool irayo

Yes. cool.
Copied and pasted to my na'vi document

Lisa

Quote from: wm.annis on July 29, 2010, 11:37:44 AM
An ikran is a living thing.  It's probably better to use po rather than tsaw to refer to it.
The vocab list in http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocab-phrases/conversational-vocab-learn-these-first/msg82382/ has po defined as he, she, it and I've always been a bit confused about the it part.   So is that what the it means here, "a living thing"?   So it (the rock) would be tsaw and it (the viperwolf) would be po?   ???

Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on July 30, 2010, 02:10:51 PM
Quote from: wm.annis on July 29, 2010, 11:37:44 AM
The vocab list in http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocab-phrases/conversational-vocab-learn-these-first/msg82382/ has po defined as he, she, it and I've always been a bit confused about the it part.   So is that what the it means here, "a living thing"?   So it (the rock) would be tsaw and it (the viperwolf) would be po?   ???

Ahh, the trouble of when English doesn't have a word equivalent for "po" ::)

Think about it this way: if you would refer to the pa'li as "he/him" or "she/her" if you knew the gender of the pa'li, you would use "po" as opposed to "tsaw."
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Lisa

Quote from: ln.sxkxawng on July 30, 2010, 02:19:43 PM
Think about it this way: if you would refer to the pa'li as "he/him" or "she/her" if you knew the gender of the pa'li, you would use "po" as opposed to "tsaw."

Duh!  Okay, I get it now.  That makes sense.   :)

Ngaytxoa fpi oe-yä yaymak-a tìpawm.
Apologies for   my    foolish    question.

Did I get that right?   

wm.annis

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on July 30, 2010, 02:48:22 PMNgaytxoa fpi oe-yä yaymak-a tìpawm.
Apologies for   my    foolish    question.

Did I get that right?   

When apologizing for something, you put the thing apologized for at the front of the sentence in the topical case.  So,

yaymaka tìpawmìri oe tsap'alute si

Since ngaytxoa isn't a verb, I'm not 100% sure how to use it in the way you have above, but based on the phrase txoa oeru livu,

yaymaka tìpawmìri ngaytxoa (oeru) livu

Lisa

Quote from: wm.annis on July 30, 2010, 02:53:52 PM
When apologizing for something, you put the thing apologized for at the front of the sentence in the topical case.  So,

yaymaka tìpawmìri oe tsap'alute si

Since ngaytxoa isn't a verb, I'm not 100% sure how to use it in the way you have above, but based on the phrase txoa oeru livu,

yaymaka tìpawmìri ngaytxoa (oeru) livu

Thanks for the excellent info!   ::writes all that down in my little blue book::

I didn't even think to use tsap'alute si, and that's a much better choice.  I was initially going for "sorry" and looked that up in the English-Na'vi dictionary, found ngaytxoa and looked no further. 

So in retrospect, would you use ngaytxoa if (for example) you bumped into somebody because you weren't looking where you were going, rather than in a sentence like I initially did?