Is this right?

Started by Numeyu92, October 26, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

I also won't be involved into it, because this kind of translation has a big space of interpretations. But this means not that I won't help (translations like this topic). :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Numeyu92 on October 27, 2013, 01:23:26 PM
Numeyu92's translation

Mì sngä´ikrr Yawey ngopmop tawit ulte 'rrta.  Ulte 'rrta ke lu 'änsyem ulte mek. Ulte tìvawm sìn key te txukx. Ulte tirea te Yawey 'ärìp sìn key te pay. Ulte Yawey poltxe, tung atan: ulte atan pamähem. Yawey tse'a tsat atan sìltsan, ulte poan 'aku atan ftumfa tìvawm.Yawey syaw atan trr, ulte tìvawm poan syaw txon. Ulte tafral kaym, ulte rewon --'awve trr. Ulte Yawey poltxe, tung tsatseng lu mo mìkam pay ne 'aku pay ftu pa. Ha Yawey sleyku mo ulte 'aku pay äo mo ftu pay io tsa'u.  Ulte tsa'u slu ha. Yawey syaw mo taw. Ulte tafral kaym, ulte rewon --'muve trr

In beginning God created the heaven and the earth.  And Earth not be complete and empty; and darkness onto face of deep.  And spirit of God move onto face of water. And God spoke, allow light: and light arrived. God see light good, and he remove light from darkness. God call light day, and darkness he call night. And therefore evening, and morning – first day.  And God spoke, let there be space between water to remove water from water. So God make space and remove water under space from water above it. And  it become so. God call space sky.  And therefore evening, and morning – second day.

Tìtstewan translation

Mì sngä'ikrr Yaweyl ngopmop ngamop tawit ulte 'rrtat. Ulte 'rrta ke lu 'änsyem ulte mek. Ulte tìvawm sìn key te txukx *tìtxukxä. Ulte tireal Yaweyä 'ärìp sìn keyt payä. Ulte Yawey poltxe, tung atan: ulte atan pamähem. Yaweyl tse'a tsatanit asìltsan, ulte poanìl 'aku atanit ftumfa tìvawm. Yawey syaw atanur trr, ulte tìvawmur poan syaw txon. Ulte tafral kaym, ulte rewon -- 'awvea trr. Ulte Yawey poltxe, tung tsatseng lu mo mìkam pay, ne 'aku payt ftu pay. Ha Yaweyl sleyku mot ulte 'aku payt äo mo ftu pay io tsa'u. Ulte tsa'u slu ha. Yawey syaw moru taw. Ulte tafral kaym, ulte rewon --'muvea trr.

What is the english translation for Tìtstewan version?

Is the text in black the Bible version you are working from, ma tsmuke, or your translation of what you wrote in Na'vi?

Also, this is a very ambitious project; good for you to try it!  I'm not a Bible scholar, but I've always liked Genesis.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm truly impressed with what has transpired here in such a short time!

Ma Numeyu92, if you keep doing work like this, you will not be a beginner for very long! :)

One of the really serious impediments to this project is the lack of a lot of terms, ike 'firmament' (expanse) or 'separate' (a word we need, anyway). It would behoove anyone interested in this project to take a look at the Klingon Bible and see how that is translated: http://http://klv.mrklingon.org/ (MrKlingon is a community member here, and just recently became active after a long absence). Since literal purity is exceptionally important when translating scripture, MrKlingon chose to leave currently untranslatable words and ideas untranslated until such time as we have proper words. 'firmament' for instance, translates to 'expanse', but could mean 'space'. Naʼvi no has words ot concepts for either idea. That said, it is reasonably OK to substitute something that is fairly close, and mark it as such with an asterisk or similar. In any case, I see the Na'vi bible looking like the Klingon bible until all the missing words can be filled in. Many proer names will also need to be left untranslated.  Many foreign (to English) languages use these symbols « » (UTF8: U+00AB, U+00BB) to mark off untranslatable words.

Although I would like to establish some guidelines for formatting translated scripture my (and others') efforts have failed. I am just happy to see people translating!

As far as your question about posting as a beginner, I think the subject has more to do with where to post it than the skill level of the poster. This is clearly intermediate to advanced Na'vi, and will ultimately use just about everything that K. Pawl has taught us.

The Bible in Na'vi forum is set up to be a safe place to openly discuss this project from a spiritual as well as a literary perspective. Also, all other translation done to date is located there. And although I think it is understood that most of the folks working in that forum are approaching things from an overtly Judeo-Christian worldview, all are invited to participate in the project. As everyone to date has found out, faithfully translating the Bible into Naʼvi is hard work!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]