Na'vi expressions and idioms

Started by omängum fra'uti, February 01, 2010, 08:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemaweyan

I tried translate a phrase from anime:

やりたい事を思いっきりやる為には、やりたくない事もやらなきゃいけないんだ。
  To do what you want to do, you also must do what you don't want to do.

Fte new sivi a kem sivi nìftxavang, zene fko ke new sivi a kem sivi nìftavang nìteng.

Tsun tivam?
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tìtstewan

I'm not sure if I get the meaning of it, but maybe this is an other option:

Fte kem sivi a new (kem) siveiyi nga, zene nga kem sivi a new nga (kem) ke sivi nìteng.

...probably tooo literal...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kemaweyan

1. -a- must be near the word which is related to. For example: [makto oel a] ikran awin - correct; *[makto oel a] wina ikran - wrong. In your sentence  kem si a nga seems as "you which do action". But the meaning is "action which you want to do", so it should be kem a new nga (kem) sivi and the second kem we can omit. same in the second part: nìteng a nga new (kem) ke sivi. It does not make sense...

2. After fte we always use -iv-, but there is only new siveiyi in modal construction.

3. I'm not sure, but I think we could use -ei- in modal verbs only (in modal constructions). We have such rule about infixes <1> (-am-, -ol- etc), also we know that it's possible to use -eyk- and -äp- so (new leykivatem, for example), but there is no rules about infixes <2>. New tsive'eia - does it make sense? I'm not sure... In this example the action is new, so I do new and it could be pleasurable to me. I think it should be neiew tsive'a. An action tse'a is potential in this example (I just want - not do) and I can't say is that pleasurable or not. Anyway we need an explanation from Pawl...

4. new ke sivi and ke new sivi. Interesting.. I think both are possible, but we have not yet a confirmation of new ke. We had a discussion about tsun ke and some members think that it is wrong. However we have zene ke that is completely correct.. So I'm not sure. Anyway (if that were in Russian where new ke and ke new are possible) I think ke new in this example is more natural. Though the meaning is same :)

Tìtstewan

1. Yeah, I see where I erred. :-[ :-X

2. I forgot about it... ::) But new is after fte, should it have <iv> infix too?

3. I think, we can use <ei> there if the meaning of this sentence is positive. Otherwise, I don't know why you used nìftxavang there.

4. There was discussend somewhere. I agree, ke new is more natural.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 25, 2014, 07:15:04 AM
But new is after fte, should it have <iv> infix too?

No, fte is not related to new, it relates to kem si, so fte [new sivi a] kem sivi.

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 25, 2014, 07:15:04 AM
3. I think, we can use <ei> there if the meaning of this sentence is positive. Otherwise, I don't know why you used nìftxavang there.

But an action in this sentence is new, not si :-\ I mean the sentence new sivi a kem.

Nìftxavang - it's a word from original Japanese line: 思いっきり which means "with all one's strength", "with all one's heart" :) Sorry, I did not translate it into English. But I think nìftxavang would be good translation in Na'vi :)

Tìtstewan

I can't read Japanese...I've looked at the  English translation.

neiew sivi a kem? :-\

Edit:
If the original traslation means it so, that nìftxavang fits there, it's ok, of course. :)

Plumps

Quote from: Kemaweyan on January 25, 2014, 03:51:29 AM
1. -a- must be near the word which is related to. For example: [makto oel a] ikran awin - correct; *[makto oel a] wina ikran - wrong.

I'm afraid that's 'old' rules. Relative a can be quite far from it's head, although I admit that it can make understanding difficult sometimes. But surely one single attributive adjective won't spoil the comprehension ;)

Hunt Song*: 'awpot set ftxey ayngal a lu ayngakip
Tree Song*: Utralä aNawm / ayrina' lu ayoeng, / a peyä tìtxur mì hinam / awngeyä
Comment on Prrton's blog: Furia fìtute ahì'i a nemfa kifkey fpxìmäkìm hapxìtu amip frato soaiä ngeyä sloleiu...
Pawl's first post on the forum: Ma oeyä eylan ayawne a lì'fyaolo'mì
Pawl's first post on the blog: Nìawnomum tolel oel ta ayhapxìtu lì'fyaolo'ä pxaya sìpawmit atxantsan a vay set ke 'oleyng.
Txewì Story: ... ulte Na'viru set lu nawma eyktan amip a larmu Tawtute.
From the blog: Lu tsatsamsiyu le'awa hapxìtu tsamponguä a mal lu moer.
——: Poti kllyolem ayoel äo utralo alor a rofa kilvan.

Kemaweyan

Well.. with single adjectives it's easy to understand the meaning, but with nouns in genitive... Which is correct:

Lu tsatsamsiyu le'awa hapxìtu tsamponguä a mal lu moer.

or

Lu tsatsamsiyu le'awa hapxìtu tsamponguä a mal lu moer.

:-\ I know that it's an official example, but it seems strange...

Plumps

I know exactly what you mean ;) That's why I said that it is sometimes difficult to understand.
But we don't have to forget that this is also part of a natural language. There can't always be clarity. There is often some ambiguity which context makes hopefully clear :)

Kemaweyan

You're right, there are similar things in natural languages, so probably this ambiguity is not an issue.. Thanks :)

However we have only examples with single attributes (adjectives or nouns in genitive), but there is a verb si :-\ Does it work? I mean kem si a new (kem) sivi

Tìtstewan

I would say, why not?
The basic role of that a is to separate the main clause from the subordinated clause.
This example looks like that X a s<infix>i Y thing, but modified...

Kemaweyan

I'd like to ask for a confirmation :)

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Kaltxì, oeru syaw Ney'Ite, tutee Na'vi, just began learning. would love a tutor
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ma 'eylan! Unfortunately, I am not able to do any tutor job for some weeks because I just arrive at home from the hospital. I'm sure, there are other awesome members who could teach you Na'vi with fun and so.

PS. Thanks for your PM. :)

Yawne Zize’ite

Is Eywa tìng the established translation of "Eywa provides"? I had used Eywa vewng in some writing I never published, since it seemed closer to the spirit of the expression to me.

Plumps

Quote from: LBI on May 28, 2014, 10:08:03 AMKaltxì, oeru syaw Ney'Ite, tutee Na'vi, just began learning. would love a tutor

Kaltxì ma LBI ulte zola'u nìprrte' fìtseng.
Hello, LBI and welcome here.

It depends whether you want to have guidance via voice chat or text chat. You would want to have someone in your time zone, right? Otherwise it would get difficult to finde someone. Unfortunately, the forum is a bit short on visitors and active members at the moment. But I'm sure you'll find someone. ;)

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on May 28, 2014, 12:01:17 PM
Is Eywa tìng the established translation of "Eywa provides"? I had used Eywa vewng in some writing I never published, since it seemed closer to the spirit of the expression to me.
No 'established' translation, yet. But I'd also go for the meaning and go with Eywa vewng. :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Plumps on May 28, 2014, 01:30:47 PM
Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on May 28, 2014, 12:01:17 PM
No 'established' translation, yet. But I'd also go for the meaning and go with Eywa vewng. :)
Yes, I prefer Eywa vewng too. I even used it in my older story (which I still need to finish :()
Eywa tìng is too literal translation, what often doesn't work.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

I would like to have talks via both options if that's possible.
My timezone is Australia, NSW. i doubt, unfortunately, that there's anyone whos learning Na'vi in Australia.
I hope you get better.
If you know anyone who would be willing I'd really love to get stuck into learning the Na'vi language, culture and living. it's been a dream of mine ever since the movie come out.
btw- how do you say the word "new" in Na'vi??

thank-you
Ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Blue Elf

Quote from: LBI on May 31, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
btw- how do you say the word "new" in Na'vi??
new in Na'vi is mip. If you need Na'vi dictionary, you can find it at http://learnnavi.org/media/
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

thank-you :)
and i got the dictionary (thank-you for showing) its a little confusing when they dont seem to be in any particular order
but thanks anyway

Ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey