Na'vi expressions and idioms

Started by omängum fra'uti, February 01, 2010, 08:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

’ite

Kaltxì frapo!
I am a beginner as well and one thing I find extremely helpful is Fromme's YouTube videos of a 90-minute class he taught to Na'vi beginners.  It helps immensely with learning vocabulary phrases and pronunciation.  I like his style of teaching: repetition.  
It's somewhat harder for me to learn by just reading Na'vi grammar, vocab etc. guides because it gets old, I have the attention span of a fish, and when I don't understand it, there is no further explanation; however, in his videos, there's plenty of explanation!  :D
You can find his videos here (part 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxi2Vejrks
They are in parts, each around 8 minutes long. Again, they are so helpful. I feels like a native speaking this stuff!  ;D

Eywa ngahu. :)

Tìtstewan

If you learn better by hepl of audio stuff, you could take a look at this Audio board. ;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: LBI on May 31, 2014, 05:55:45 PM
thank-you :)
and i got the dictionary (thank-you for showing) its a little confusing when they dont seem to be in any particular order
but thanks anyway

Ney'ite

What is not in any particular order?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

the dictionary. it's not in any order i can fathom. and it's Na'vi then english word first. so its a little confusing
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

’ite

I agree, the dictionary can be confusing since it's Na'vi words first, then what they mean in English.  What I always do is when I need to find a word I do Ctrl + F and it gives you a window to type a word.  It'll find the word(s) you type on the page/document and direct you to where they are. :)

Kiyevame Ikran

Just use http://dict-navi.com/
Faster and easier. But requires internet.
Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Kiyevame Ikran on June 04, 2014, 07:30:52 AM
Just use http://dict-navi.com/
Faster and easier. But requires internet.
HRH! Plumps updated the German and English Dictionary and I updated the Romanian part at the same day as the new words been released. ;D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ah! Now, I understand. You are looking for a dictionary/lexicon that gives Na'vi words for English words. The community just happens to have this, and it updated every time the main dictionary is. It is here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/the-dictionary-part-ii/ This same arrangement exists for all the other commonly used languages, and they are listed there as well. There is occasionally, some definitions that are better looked up in the English-Na'vi dictionary than can be found by searching. But 'control f' searching of the Na'vi-English dictionary is still the best way to find things.

If you run a modern Linux, the newest version of 'document viewer' has a window that displays search results alongside the main text, so you can get the 'big picture' of what your search found.. This is very useful for finding the right word. I would not at all be surprised that a similar feature exists in other PDF readers.

The Dothraki dictionary is also set up the same way.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Blue Elf

Quote from: LBI on June 04, 2014, 03:55:06 AM
the dictionary. it's not in any order i can fathom. and it's Na'vi then english word first. so its a little confusing

Main dictionary is sorted by Na'vi words, but there's also dictionary sorted by English words. Just download the correct version.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Kaltxi Na'vi Masmukan, masmuke

Oeru syaw mip tutee Na'vi
Oeru syaw fko Ney'ite
Oe nerume Ni'Na'vi

Oeru syaw leso'ha nume

I don't know whether any of that is right. feel free to correct
Ney'ite
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tìtstewan

Quote from: LBI on June 05, 2014, 09:31:07 PM
Kaltxi Na'vi ma_smukan, ma_smuke.   "ma" is not a prefix
'-- Kaltxì ma smukan sì smuke.

Oeru syaw lu mipa tutée leNa'vi [I am a new Na'vi person.]
Oeru syaw fko Ney'ite
Lì'fyari leNa'vi oe nerume. Ni'Na'vi [I'm learning the Na'vi language.]

Oeru syaw leso'ha numeWhat you attempt to say here?
Oeru syaw... means (One) calls me...

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 06, 2014, 03:56:29 AM
Oeru syaw lu mipa tutée leNa'vi [I am a new Na'vi person.]
tuté is woman, tute is person (can be both man / woman - depends on context). Usually Na'vi do not distinguish gender, if there's no special reason.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

And because she is a women and I'm expect that she means tuté instead *tutee, it would be ok. But of course, just tute (no specific gender) is ok as well. ;)

Kame Ayyo’koti

;D I thought of this today:

Lu tsa'u tìngay nìngay.
Lit.: That is the truth truly.

Not sure if the Na'vi would say something like this, but I like it!
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tirea Aean

Two new Official ones:

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 20, 2014, 01:01:33 PM
I also forgot to mention here the new phrase we got from the 103 this year at LA:

QuoteNgaru fì'u

Say this when handing something to someone after they've asked for it. In English we usually say something like Here you go, there you are. The translation was Here it is -OR- It's yours.

Here's the dialogue from the Worksheet:

A. Ma tsmuk, tìng oeru ngeyä hawre'ti, rutxe.

Brother/Sister, give me your hat, please.
B. Ngaru fì'u.

Here it is. OR It's yours.
A. Irayo nìtxan.

Thanks very much.

And here's another phrase (You also see this in the photo), not sure if it has previously canonized or established, but:

QuoteTìomummì oeyä

meaning, As far as I know (In my knowledge). From the worksheet:

QuoteTìomummì oeyä, kolä fte tivaron.

As far as I know, he went to hunt.

EDIT: Tìomummì oeyä is not new. But it is still a useful expression

Ftxavanga unilyu atxen

This is perfect for me ,in this topic i learn faster Then only The words   :)
i see you ....Eywah ngahu...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ftxavanga unilyu atxen on April 10, 2015, 09:06:48 AM
This is perfect for me ,in this topic i learn faster Then only The words   :)

Awesome!

Just be careful to focus your studies on the Official things from Frommer in this thread.