Na'vi expressions and idioms

Started by omängum fra'uti, February 01, 2010, 08:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawtirea

Oe si irayo ngaru. It was a good idea to make a topic like this one. As a beginner I found this to help me out a lot. I'll keep looking back on this page for guidance.

Ataeghane

Quote from: Plumps on December 28, 2010, 03:32:27 PM
How about Frommer's

Srake fnan ngal lì'fyati leNa'vi?
    "How good is your Na'vi?" (lit. Are you good at the Na'vi language?)

Irayo! That's what I needed. Where do take quotations like this from?
BTW, what is Grace's first Na'vi line told to Norm? Isn't it question similar to this one?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Plumps

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 29, 2010, 06:02:21 AM
Quote from: Plumps on December 28, 2010, 03:32:27 PM
How about Frommer's

Srake fnan ngal lì'fyati leNa'vi?
    "How good is your Na'vi?" (lit. Are you good at the Na'vi language?)

Irayo! That's what I needed. Where do take quotations like this from?
BTW, what is Grace's first Na'vi line told to Norm? Isn't it question similar to this one?
That's from Frommer's blog Naviteri.org, the 'Getting to know you'-sections from late September.
Yes, Grace asks that question, but in English and Norm answers in Na'vi...

Ataeghane

Ha, again. Point for you. Irayo nìmun.

unìl mäkto

Pxipxúntil

If I understand it good, phrase Txon lefpóm. is used for greetings, when the people meets. And when I wish good night to person who goes sleep, how can I say that? There is some idiom for that or not yet.

Is possible to say: Hiváheiaw nìmwéy. (something like "I wish you sleep peacefully.") ??
Srekrr tsatskxétsyìp tolúl tsáwla ayskxéä tìzusúpit...

Plumps

Yes, Hivahaw nìmwey was given out by Frommer as being "good night" in the sense of "sleep well"
I don't think the ei is necessary here.

'Oma Tirea

On a related note, another phrase could be Ayunil akalin (ngaru liveiu).

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ataeghane

What was the Norm's line beginning with "Zìsìto amrr..."?

Ekirä

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 19, 2011, 11:54:27 AM
What was the Norm's line beginning with "Zìsìto amrr..."?
Zìsìto amrr ftolia ohe, slä zene fko nivume nìtxan.

Ataeghane

Why do we use perfective here? He was learning, and he is still. That looks like totally non-perfective.

Lisa

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 19, 2011, 12:02:39 PM
Why do we use perfective here? He was learning, and he is still. That looks like totally non-perfective.

Perhaps because he was referring to his 5 years of study on 'Rrta?  That would be perfective, as he is no longer on 'Rrta and that phase of his learning is over.    ???
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Pxipxúntil on January 18, 2011, 05:41:26 AM
If I understand it good, phrase Txon lefpóm. is used for greetings, when the people meets. And when I wish good night to person who goes sleep, how can I say that? There is some idiom for that or not yet.

Is possible to say: Hiváheiaw nìmwéy. (something like "I wish you sleep peacefully.") ??

no, you do not understand well.  Txon Lefpom is good night.  Trr lefpom(good day) is a greeting.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Plumps

Quote from: Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan) on January 19, 2011, 07:07:38 PM

no, you do not understand well.  Txon Lefpom is good night.  Trr lefpom(good day) is a greeting.

But you can wish somebody a "good night/evening" without wishing them good sleep ;) In my understanding, everything with lefpom in it, counts as a general greeting.

Ataeghane

Quote from: Plumps on January 20, 2011, 02:36:49 AM

But you can wish somebody a "good night/evening" without wishing them good sleep ;) In my understanding, everything with lefpom in it, counts as a general greeting.
Sran, I feel the same.

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on January 19, 2011, 05:11:04 PM

Perhaps because he was referring to his 5 years of study on 'Rrta?  That would be perfective, as he is no longer on 'Rrta and that phase of his learning is over.    ???
Well, maybe. And what about "na'rìng a ayzìsìto tsar kea ayrìk ke lalmu". It's imperfective again. What's the meaning? This forest has got leaves already or not?

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Plumps on January 20, 2011, 02:36:49 AM

One could argue that "Ayftxozä lefpom" is not a greeting.

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 20, 2011, 04:51:34 AM
Quote from: Tirea Ikran on January 19, 2011, 05:11:04 PM

Well, maybe. And what about "na'rìng a ayzìsìto tsar kea ayrìk ke lalmu". It's imperfective again. What's the meaning? This forest has got leaves already or not?
With the perfective in "Zìsito amrr ftolia ohe" it's like "I studied for five years".  With the imperfective, if it's grammatically acceptable (I don't see why it wouldn't be, but you never know) I would suspect the meaning would be "I am studying for five years" - but I may only bee one year into the five years of study.

With "na'rìng a ayzìsìto tsar kea ayrìk ke lalmu", it is the forest which it had had no leaves for years.  This one seems a bit odd at first, because did they go to the forest while it had no leaves?  That's imperfective!  But the catch here is that it is not a phrase describing the event, it is just describing the forest.  Think of how odd it would be to say "The forest which it was not having leaves for years".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ataeghane

This is odd in English but why in Na'vi?

Nawmtxep

Irayo, this topic has proven to be extremely useful to me. When I read the example conversation it made me laugh and it made my day even better than it was before.  ;D

Blue Elf

There's a small mistake in "How do you say ____ in Na'vi?/How do you say ____ in English" part - missing glottal stop in 'upe
____ nìNa'vi slu 'upe?
____ nì'ìnglìsì slu 'upe?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Kamean

I have not noticed missing glottal stop. Probably because I knew that it should be there.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.