Na'vi homonyms?

Started by Lrrtoksì nìhawng, March 05, 2010, 01:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

I was picking my "word of the day" to learn and came across sleyku, meaning "to produce". I've also been playing with the infix <eyk> a lot lately and sl<eyk>u, which I think means "cause to become" popped into my head. Unless there's some sort of difference in syllable stresses I think we have our first Na'vi homonym.
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Carborundum

Would you say there is a difference in meaning between "to produce X" and "to cause X to become"? I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure sleyku really is sl<eyk>u.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

Yes and no. Sl<eyk>u can be used in a way to mean the same as "to produce X", but it can also be used to indicate X changing into Y, or X being modified in some way.

I haven't seen sl<eyk>u used by an "official" source yet, and am a little fuzzy on the the proper usage of <eyk> in general, but it would be neat to start seeing things like homonyms and homophones start cropping up in Na'vi. It's like passing a goalpost on the way to language legitamacy.  ;D
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Txur’Itan

<eyk> being the causative infix would lend its self strongly to what Carborundum has said. 

become =  to come into existence
produce =  to cause to have existence or to happen

Produce = cause become

slu Frommer = v. become
sleyku Frommer = v. produce
<eyk> Frommer = causative verbal infix

slu + <eyk> = sl<eyk>u = sleyku

私は太った男だ。