Navi language for my video! Pls help :)

Started by zhala, December 07, 2015, 04:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhala

Hello! I am going to create a video for my friends' new company and on this video aliens should talk in Navi Language. There are few easy dialogues in English I have to translate to Navi Language. Who can help me to translate them? If anyone wants to help pls email me. I do not know Navi language. I would love to learn it! But now I need it for our video that can not be wait long. My email: [email protected] Thank you very much! Jala.

Eana Unil

Hi and welcome! :)
What kind of alien would those in your video be? Just asking out of curiousity, because I wouldn't wanna see this beautiful language ridiculed, e.g. by little green aliens from Mars ^^

Also, depending on your sentences, it could be possible we could't translate everything, since we're still missing a lot of words.

Tìtstewan

I am agree with Eana Unil, especially what kind of alien will be in the video. Also, I am going to move this thread to Phrases in the Beginner area.

---

Quote from: Eana Unil on December 07, 2015, 04:57:44 AM
...e.g. by little green aliens from Mars ^^
Why do I have the movie "Mars Attack" in my mind. ;D ;D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

Hello and welcome  :)

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 07, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
HRH  ;D ;D

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Kaltxì and welcome here
Quote from: Kamailehope on December 07, 2015, 08:38:17 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 07, 2015, 06:18:01 AM
HRH  ;D ;D

HRH ;D
What they said, we will let you use the language but we 'only' don't want to see used it in too ridiculous way. :)
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Wllìm

Maybe you can just post your sentences here? That would probably be easier  :)

Eana Unil

It's not that I didn't welcome him here ^^ Everyone interested in Na'vi (whether language or people) is welcome here, tì'efumì oeyä. But I see nothing wrong with asking and making sure that it won't be "misused", so to speak. Wanting to know about something before putting effort into it is nothing wrong imho ^^

If it was obvious that it would be (imo) misused whatsoever, I wouldn't wanna participate in that, that's all I'm saying ;) But being curious doesn't mean any presumption or worse.

Wllìm

Quote from: Eana Unil on December 07, 2015, 01:42:49 PM
It's not that I didn't welcome him here ^^ Everyone interested in Na'vi (whether language or people) is welcome here, tì'efumì oeyä. But I see nothing wrong with asking and making sure that it won't be "misused", so to speak. Wanting to know about something before putting effort into it is nothing wrong imho ^^

If it was obvious that it would be (imo) misused whatsoever, I wouldn't wanna participate in that, that's all I'm saying ;) But being curious doesn't mean any presumption or worse.

That makes sense, I completely agree :D

Blue Elf

Hello Zhala!
I think you should post your text here - more people can see it here, so in cooperation we get better result. We all be happy to help you. However note - as said - something can be hard to translate, as vocabulary has its limit. But often there's some way how to express idea by other words or way. No worry, we'll do our best!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eana Unil

Well, as far as I can tell from her profile, she wasn't online here since posting this. So I guess: no, we didn't ;D

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Wllìm on December 07, 2015, 01:28:24 PM
-snip-
Quite exactly that what Eana wrote (Reply #6). Just to point it out and to avoid confusion, that we are asking for what one wish a translation does not mean anything negative regarding to the OP or anybody else who want to ask for help.
When I read this, "...new company and on this video aliens should talk in Navi Language", I somehow get a strong desire to know what she want to let translate and in which context, especially because of the mentioned words "company, video, aliens, Na'vi".
This is not only because we would love to give our best in helping her to give an authentic and valid translation, however, there are many people that put a lot of effort and time developing and expanding the Na'vi language and, in my opinion, the first post let me pop up some question marks in my mind. Again, I absolutely do not mean it negatively in any kind, but the "unknown" elements let me move in a position to protect the Na'vi language, or to say it in a simplier way, some people are just a bit worried.
Let me mention what I mean with "unknown" elements:
- it's apparently for a company. This is obviously looking for something commercial. Just saying, it's not the first time that LN gets requests by companies, and this requires some extra attention.
- it's clearly mentioned that it's planned to be a video, so, what's the video's story/context?

Dear Zhala,

If there are some things about the project that should not be discussed in public, because of that, apparently, commercial purpose, I would suggest to write a personal message or email to me.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 07, 2015, 04:32:55 PM
I hope we haven't scared Zhala away :(
Quote from: Eana Unil on December 07, 2015, 06:18:55 PM
Well, as far as I can tell from her profile, she wasn't online here since posting this. So I guess: no, we didn't ;D
One does not have to login to read this thread.
If we scared her away, I am sorry. However, we cannot simply answer all questions with limited knowledge about her plan.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

zhala

What kind of alien would those in your video be? Just asking out of curiousity, because I wouldn't wanna see this beautiful language ridiculed, e.g. by little green aliens from Mars ^^

Also, depending on your sentences, it could be possible we could't translate everything, since we're still missing a lot of words.

Hi! :) I am gonna use a little video piece from movie Artificial Intelligence or Avatar. Here is a dialogue:

- What's new?
- Just a moment.
- "Earth, 2015  – Hottest discussion trend is #GR8Club"
- What is GR8? (great)
- Let me check.
- It is a personal development program which masters your speaking and writing in English, which is in Baku.
- It would be great for you too!

Thank you for your help :)

Hello everyone! Thank you for your responses! I am gonna use a little video piece from movie Artificial Intelligence or Avatar. This is for a new company of my friends and I want to support them so we decided to make a video and our friends around the world also join us recommending their English classes. Aliens in video will explore the Earth.  Here is a dialogue:

- What's new?
- Just a moment.
- "Earth, 2015  – Hottest discussion trend is #GR8Club"
- What is GR8? (great)
- Let me check.
- It is a personal development program which masters your speaking and writing in English, which is in Baku.
- It would be great for you too!

Thank you for your help!

Moderator edit:
Multiple posts merged. Please use the "editing function" instead posting multiple posts in a short time. Thanks!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Zhala, thanks for the list. There's no need to post it more than once.
Here is my try at translation. Others here may give alternate suggestions (I tend to be too literal sometimes). I am going to approach this as if it is part of a casual conversation.

Quote- What's new?
peu lu mip?
Quote- Just a moment.
ʼawa swawtsyìp -  This is a stock phrase from the dictionary.
Quote- "Earth, 2015  – Hottest discussion trend is #GR8Club"
ʼRrta, pxevozamkizampxevohin - tìpängkxori, txele letsranten frato lu #GR8Club - I did not try and transliterate the hashtag, as that is a literal string, and contains a kind of shorthand not practiced in Naʼvi. Transliterated, it would be something like #Kureytkaluv, or perhaps #Kureytxkaluv, which has more 'snap' to it due to the presence of the ejective /tx/. (Make sure you check out some of the sound recordings on this site to see what some of these letters are supposed to sound like!)
Quote- What is GR8? (great)
Peu lu GR8? -or- Peu lu Kureyt? -or maybe- Peu lu Kureytx?
Quote- Let me check.
Oe mìsyayʼ - this could also be translated Oel mìsyayʼ if some object  being checked is strongly implied. (The presence of the object makes the the root verb mayʼ 'check out' transitive, and the subject oe 'I' then gets a special marker -l, which indicates 'I' is the subject. The <ìsy> inside mayʼ makes the verb determanitive future tense: 'will check'.) 
Quote- It is a personal development program which masters your speaking and writing in English, which is in Baku.
Fìsnanumultxa tsawl sleyku fko a mì tsulfä Inglisiä a perlltxe sì pamrel seri ngeyä, tsasnanumultxa leru mì Baku. (or Vaku if you want a true Naʼvi pronunciation) I assume here Baku is a place. If it is a language, you would use  for the last clause, tsasnanumultxa leru mì lìʼfya LeBaku There are other correct ways to translate this interesting sentence, and other may suggest a different, or better answer.
Quote- It would be great for you too!
Ngari, tsasnanumultxa lu txantsan  - if referring to the aforementioned program. If referring to an uspecified something else, you could use  Ngari, tsaw lu txantsan

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

zhala

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 08, 2015, 03:15:06 AM
Ma Zhala, thanks for the list. There's no need to post it more than once.
Here is my try at translation. Others here may give alternate suggestions (I tend to be too literal sometimes). I am going to approach this as if it is part of a casual conversation.

Quote- What's new?
peu lu mip?
Quote- Just a moment.
ʼRrta, pxevozamkizampxevohin - tìpängkxori, txele letsranten frato lu #GR8Club - I did not try and transliterate the hashtag, as that is a literal string, and contains a kind of shorthand not practiced in Naʼvi. Transliterated, it would be something like #Kureytkaluv, or perhaps #Kureytxkaluv, which has more 'snap' to it due to the presence of the ejective /tx/. (Make sure you check out some of the sound recordings on this site to see what some of these letters are supposed to sound like!)
Quote- Let me check.
Oe mìsyayʼ - this could also be translated Oel mìsyayʼ if some object  being checked is strongly implied. (The presence of the object makes the the root verb mayʼ 'check out' transitive, and the subject oe 'I' then gets a special marker -l, which indicates 'I' is the subject. The <ìsy> inside mayʼ makes the verb determanitive future tense: 'will check'.) 
Quote- It is a personal development program which masters your speaking and writing in English, which is in Baku.
Fìsnanumultxa tsawl sleyku fko a mì tsulfä Inglisiä a perlltxe sì pamrel seri ngeyä, tsasnanumultxa leru mì Baku. (or Vaku if you want a true Naʼvi pronunciation) I assume here Baku is a place. If it is a language, you would use  for the last clause, tsasnanumultxa leru mì lìʼfya LeBaku There are other correct ways to translate this interesting sentence, and other may suggest a different, or better answer.
Quote- It would be great for you too!
Ngari, tsasnanumultxa lu txantsan  - if referring to the aforementioned program. If referring to an uspecified something else, you could use  Ngari, tsaw lu txantsan

Thank you very much! We are very happy :)

Wllìm

Ma Zhala, please note that the "GR8 / great" wordplay does not work in Na'vi. Hence, the joke is kind of lost...

For It is a personal development program which masters your speaking and writing in English, which is in Baku I'd suggest

Fìsnanumultxal ngati sleyku ne tsulfätu le'Ìnglìsìa aylì'uä apawnlltxe sì ayfamrelä. Tok tsasnanumultxal Pakuti.
This class makes you a master of English spoken words and writings. That class is in Baku.

Edit: Also...
Quote from: zhala on December 08, 2015, 01:44:39 AM
I am gonna use a little video piece from movie Artificial Intelligence or Avatar.
Note that using video without prior permission is not allowed. Please respect the copyright of the authors :)

Blue Elf

I would propose some changes and improvements. So:
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 08, 2015, 03:15:06 AM
Quote- What's new?
peu lu mip?
As Na'vi are quite specific, I'd expect either Pehem amip lolen? (what new action occurred/happened) or Pefmawn (amip)? (what news? any news?). Amip part probably can be omitted as it sounds strange, like "any new new?".
Quote- Just a moment.
Only first one is ok - as you used it in previous sentence, so it gives no sense to rewrite it other way. If you would like to do, note, that 8 symbol in Na'vi is 'eyt, and whole abbreviation could be spelled in standard way (G=>K):
Peu lu KxeKx ReR 'eyt?
Quote- Let me check.
I don't think may' fit here, it's meaning is "sample, testdrive" - according context intended meaning is "let me check what it means", so it's job for steftxaw (remember Mo'at coming to see who Jake is). Also, I'd use more literal translation with tung:
Tung oer futa (oe) steftxaw - Allow me (that I) check it.

Here I'd vote for Wllìm's version, although statement tsulfätu le'Ìnglìsìa aylì'uä apawnlltxe is quite interesting - le'Ìnglìsìa adjective seems to be bound to two nouns ;)
My attempt is:
Fìsnanumultxal ngati sleyku ne tsulfätu tìpuslltxeyä sì pamrelä nì'ìnglìsì. Tok tsasnanumultxal Pakuti.

Now I'm curious which version Zhala selects :D
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

zhala

Hi everyone! Thank you for your help with translation. I and GR8 team appreciate your help. Now we have to decide to use Navi Language for our video or not because of the aliens (they may not be Navi's) but if we use piece from Avatar we will use the translation of dialogue you did. Thanks again :) Cheers. Zhala.