Need some help with a translation!

Started by Lunarria, February 27, 2013, 09:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunarria

Ok I looked through all 19 pages in this part of the forum and could not find a single page that contained the info I'm looking for. I'm trying to translate something for ma tsmuke. She is looking for the translation for this phrase: "Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." Most gamers know where this comes from ;) But there does not seem to be a word for 'is'. I can't find a way to make the words flow together, and it's coming out all broken.  Any help will be greatly appreciated! Irayo!
I am everything I will be and nothing that I seem to be, and judging from the look on your face, everything you both fear and desire with all of your being.
Here's the question:
Are you willing to take the risks necessary to achieve that which you desire?
-myself

Plz feel free to correct me if i misspell or mispronounce anything. I promise no hard feelings.

Tirea Aean

one huge thing to know about Na'vi and the dictionary is this:

in Na'vi, NO verb gets changed to correspond to a pronoun. For example in English there's I am you are he is it is we are they are. In Na'vi it's Oe lu nga lu poan lu tsaw lu ayoeng lu ayfo lu. Lu is be. Every form of it. Am, is, are. Whichever one it translates to.

And, the dictionary ONLY lists root words. So no words like ate or killing. Just eat and kill.

The real problem here is no word for Permitted. However, it can be translated like this:

Nothing is true. Everything is allowed.

That second part is passive. Which is valid structure in English but not in Na'vi. In Na'vi you'd have to say something more like One allows everything. So basically what you're looking for is:

Ke'u ke lu ngay. Fa'uti fkol tung.

Yes, double negation is required.  ;)

Another suggestion is to switch fra'ut with frakemit. Frakem means every action. I think that might be the way to go.

Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit fkol tung.
Nothing is true.. Every action is allowed.

EDIT: all the above assumes that v. tung is transitive. Which we are technically not 100% sure about. But I have a big hunch. For what it's worth.

Lunarria

Irayo! I have been stumbling through the lessons and trying to learn as best as I can. But this one's had me stumped, though my first hunch seemed to be right. I didn't think "is" and "permitted" had translations....maybe those will end up as loaned words :) I knew that every bit wouldn't translate exactly. Though I'm not sure she's going to be happy, oh well I tried.  :-\
I am everything I will be and nothing that I seem to be, and judging from the look on your face, everything you both fear and desire with all of your being.
Here's the question:
-myself

Plz feel free to correct me if i misspell or mispronounce anything. I promise no hard feelings.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Lunarria on February 28, 2013, 06:48:21 PM
Irayo! I have been stumbling through the lessons and trying to learn as best as I can. But this one's had me stumped, though my first hunch seemed to be right. I didn't think "is" and "permitted" had translations....maybe those will end up as loaned words :) I knew that every bit wouldn't translate exactly. Though I'm not sure she's going to be happy, oh well I tried.  :-\

Not everything can be direct. The grammars are different and not always compatible for 1:1 direct translation. Also, Na'vi is still yet an unfinished language in development. Maybe one day we will get a compound or new root for permitted, if what I said won't work well enough.

Lunarria

It's ok. Ma tsmuke is just a very die hard Assassin's Creed fangirl. Like I am for Na'vi and Avatar. She'll just be shocked that I found anything. Though I will be crediting you for the translation, again irayo! Now, I'm off to do more studies. :D
Here's the question:
-myself

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Lunarria on February 28, 2013, 07:30:09 PM
It's ok. oeyä tsmuke is just a very die hard Assassin's Creed fangirl. Like I am for Na'vi and Avatar. She'll just be shocked that I found anything. Though I will be crediting you for the translation, again irayo! Now, I'm off to do more studies. :D

ma doesn't mean my; oeyä does. ma is just a particle for directly addressing someone. :) That's cool. thank YOU! Have fun with your studies! :D

Lunarria

;D see I need to study...lolz such a silly little mistake...I'm a little tired from work I guess...that and the long walk from my work to my beloved's work...*yawn* going to study for a few more minutes then eat shower sleep...thanks again :)
Here's the question:
-myself