Practice sentences

Started by Atkxìn, October 09, 2017, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atkxìn

I'm going to write a few Na'vi sentences and see if I can use some words correctly. If you can, please give  me some feedback. I'm trying to learn how to make sentences correctly. Thanks!

Oel fpìl futa nga zene kivä.
I think that you need to leave. 

Fì'ul lu txantsan nìngay.
This is truly excellent.

Ke tsun tspìväng kea fkot pol.
He/she can't kill anyone.

Oel ke omum txan aylì'ut.  (I'm rather uncertain on this construction.)
I don't know many words.

Plltxe lì'ut a'aw ngal futa oel ke omum.
You speak a word that I don't know.

Eana Unil

Kaltxì ngar :)

Quote from: Atxkìn on October 09, 2017, 10:47:51 AM
Seems fine to me.

This is truly excellent.
lu isn't transitive, so -l isn't required. Fì'u lu txantsan nìngay.

Hmm, fko is more like "one", an unspecific agent and is often used to build passive constructions. Tsa'ut omum fkol - That/it is known / One knows that.
I'd build "anyone" like tuteo or use kawtu (no one) instead, thus Ke tsun tspivang kawtut pol or Ke tsun tspivang kea tuteot pol.

I don't know many words.
Oel ke omum txana aylì'ut. Adjectives need -a- attached when "attached"/describing a noun.

Close, but not quite there. Futa (fì'ut a) is too much here / not the right choice, a simple a will suffice, since you can directly describe the noun lì'u further with the help of a:
Plltxe lì'ut a oel ke omum ngal.
Or, to make sentence/subclause structure less confusing:
Ngal pllxte lì'ut a ke omum oel.
'aw isn't required here necessarily imho, unless you wanna emphazise that it's only one word and not more.

Seysonìltsan :)

Atkxìn

Irayo nìtxan! Thank you for the correction. I have just started using the "500 most commonly used Na'vi words" Memrise course, and I'm trying to use the words I'm learning in sentences in order to remember them better and work on the grammar at the same time. Limited vocabulary makes good sentences hard, but we'll get there! Thanks again. I will post some more sentences here in the future.

Blue Elf

Kaltxì ma Atkxìn,
you did quite well - congratulation. However I have several notes - also for Eana Unil. Here are:
Quote from: Eana Unil on October 09, 2017, 11:36:49 AM
Quote from: Atxkìn on October 09, 2017, 10:47:51 AM
Seems fine to me.
Perfectly.

This is truly excellent.
lu isn't transitive, so -l isn't required. Fì'u lu txantsan nìngay.
Also correct.

Hmm, fko is more like "one", an unspecific agent and is often used to build passive constructions. Tsa'ut omum fkol - That/it is known / One knows that.
I'd build "anyone" like tuteo or use kawtu (no one) instead, thus Ke tsun tspivang kawtut pol or Ke tsun tspivang kea tuteot pol.
Correct word to use here is kawtu:
Pol ke tsun tspivang kawtut => He/She can't kill anyone. Tuteo is bad here - it mean "someone", not "anyone" (it would be ketsrana tute). However Ke tsun tspivang kea tutet pol is perfectly correct (lit: He can't kill no person)
In Na'vi we do not have the same rule like in English, where there's only one negative word in sentence (He can't kill anyone X He can kill noone). Negative Na'vi sentence can contain more negative words, it uses multiple negation and sentence is still negative. Generally, when negative verb is used, some other negative word is used too.

I don't know many words.
Oel ke omum txana aylì'ut. Adjectives need -a- attached when "attached"/describing a noun.
Correct explanation, but incorrect word. Txan is "much", used for uncountable words. For "many" (used with countables, what "word" is for sure) we use pxay. So:
Oel ke omum pxaya aylì'ut.

Close, but not quite there. Futa (fì'ut a) is too much here / not the right choice, a simple a will suffice, since you can directly describe the noun lì'u further with the help of a:
Plltxe lì'ut a oel ke omum ngal.
Or, to make sentence/subclause structure less confusing:
Ngal plltxe lì'ut a ke omum oel.
'aw isn't required here necessarily imho, unless you wanna emphazise that it's only one word and not more.

Seysonìltsan :)
Also correct correction, but second form is preferred. First one is hard to understand, because subordinate clause separates subject of the main clause (ngal) from the remaining part of the sentence. In written form you can analyze it and understand well, but in speech it would lead to to problem. It's better to not use such forms.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Eana Unil

My brain slept during looking at txan and didn't see that it wasn't the correct choice here  :facepalm: Thanks for correcting my corrections ;D

Atkxìn

Irayo for both of your very thorough corrections and feedback!