Loving somebody is to...

Started by Suzumiya, August 24, 2011, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzumiya

Good evening :)

I am trying to translate something, but it's kind of hard since I cannot find some things in the dictionary such as '' to + verb'' when this indicates purpose, like '' for +ing'' and ''make someone + state'', and I am not sure if nominalization is made in Na'Vi by just living the verb in infinitive or if it needs something special.

This is the phrase and what I have done so far :S

Loving somebody is to bestow them the power to destroy you as well as the power to make you happy.

Tìyawn tuteoti  lu ting foru tìtxurti ska'a ngati na nìltsan na tìtxurti

That is all I have gotten, as you see it has many gasps, I would like some help about it :)

Irayo nìli :)
In this world doesn't exist the coincidences, only the inevitable.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Suzumiya on August 24, 2011, 08:03:31 PM
Loving somebody is to bestow them the power to destroy you as well as the power to make you happy.

Actually we have not a verb "to love", only and adjective "beloved" and a noun "a love". So we can't translate this phrase literally and need to change it.

Ngar yawne lu tuteo a fì'ul tìng poru tìtxurit fte skiva'a ngati, nìtengfya na tìtxurit fte 'eykefu ngati nitram.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Alyara Arati

Welcome, ma tsmuk!

There are actually no infinitive forms of verbs in Na'vi, once simply uses the verb in such a way that its meaning is clear.  A better teacher could better explain about infinitives, but I'll try to help you with your sentence.

Fwa 'efu tìyawnit fpi suteo, lu teng a tìng fkoru tìtxurit a tsun fko skiva'a ngati ulte nìtengfya a tsun fko 'eykefu nitram ngati.

EDIT: Kemaweyan's translations are almost always better, as well as being quick like a bunny.  Still that was my attempt.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Suzumiya

Thank you both of you :) How usually ''to + verb'' is indicated? I mean a purpose.

Kemaweyan

It's fte (verbs after fte always are used with infix -iv-). We have a line in the movie:

Sawtute zera'u fte fkol Kelutralti skiva'a.
  Skypeople are coming to destroy Hometree.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Suzumiya

Thank you! Always something new is learnt :)

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Kemaweyan on August 24, 2011, 08:27:15 PM
Quote from: Suzumiya on August 24, 2011, 08:03:31 PM

Actually we have not a verb "to love", only and adjective "beloved" and a noun "a love". So we can't translate this phrase literally and need to change it.

Ngar yawne lu tuteo a fì'ul tìng poru tìtxurit fte skiva'a ngati, nìtengfya na tìtxurit fte 'eykefu ngati nitram.

In Kemaweyan's example, "fte" before the verb means "in order to".
In mine, the modal verb construct "tsun fko x" before the verb means "one is able to".
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

yeah, no infinitives, and you do not use fte to create infinitives.

there are modals though, and words which share modal syntax.

what a heck of a sentence... Okay so a big huge help first and foremost is our precious "translate the meaning not the words" because of differences in the grammar, and because of missing words and words we will never have.

Here is my take on it:

Lu yawne ngaru tuteo a fì'uä ral lu fwa tìng tsatuteru tìtxurit a tsun ngati skiva'a ulte tìng nìteng tìtxurit a tsun ngati nitram 'eykefu.

Someone is beloved to you, the meaning of this is this: to give that person power which can destroy you and also to give the power which can make you feel happy.

tìsung:

I'd also like to say that there is not only just one way to say a sentence like this. It is very open for different perspectives and translations. Some sentences there is a only one correct way to say it, but this one I can forsee many different translations by several different people, each with a different twist, but same main idea.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 24, 2011, 10:58:18 PM
I'd also like to say that there is not only just one way to say a sentence like this. It is very open for different perspectives and translations. Some sentences there is a only one correct way to say it, but this one I can forsee many different translations by several different people, each with a different twist, but same main idea.

Mllte ngahu.  I was going to translate that sentence as: fkoru lu yawne tuteo a fì'u lu fwa tìng poru tìtxurit fte skiva'a ngati sì ayuti a ngaru 'eykefu nitram.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Blue Elf

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 24, 2011, 08:28:58 PM
Welcome, ma tsmuk!

There are actually no infinitive forms of verbs in Na'vi, once simply uses the verb in such a way that its meaning is clear.  A better teacher could better explain about infinitives, but I'll try to help you with your sentence.

Fwa 'efu tìyawn fpi suteo, lu teng a tìng fkoru tìtxurit a tsun fko skiva'a ngati ulte nìtengfya a tsun fko 'eykefu nitram ngati.

EDIT: Kemaweyan's translations are almost always better, as well as being quick like a bunny.  Still that was my attempt.
'efu  is transitive, so begining of the sentence IMHO should be:
Fwa 'efu tìyawnit fpi suteo, ...
Subject is unwritten - ngal
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Right, I'm pretty awful at this, so can someone tell me all the many things I'm doing wrong :-[
To avoid some of the complexity I decided to condense the meaning to "anyone that you love can bring you happiness, or destroy you", which is much closer to something I can translate.
My translation would then be "tuteo a lu yawne fkoru tsun sivunu fu ska'a fkoti". I'm not sure the -ti should be there and I have a nasty feeling "sunu" isn't a sensible translation of "to bring happiness".
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Blue Elf

-ti is correct, as ska'a is transitive verb; I don't think sunu is appropriate here. I'd rewrite sentence as:

Tuteo a lu yawne fkoru tsun 'eykivefu nitram fkoru fu skiva'a fkoti

Very literally: Someone, who is beloved to one, can make one feel happy or destroy one. Although I'm not completely sure if this construction is correct...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Ah, thanks. I didn't think of the causative, that's a good way of doing it. :)
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Blue Elf on September 02, 2011, 01:23:32 AM
Tuteo a lu yawne fkoru tsun 'eykivefu nitram fkoru fu skiva'a fkoti

I'd say it's fine, but instead of 'eykivefu, I'd use sleykivu, this way it's canonical.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.