Saying "ok, I'm not in a hurry"

Started by Lisa, July 11, 2010, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

Just a little bit ago,  I replied in an email with "ok, I'm not in a hurry", and I'm wondering if I got it right.

Tam, lu oe-ru ke win säpi.
lit. ok, I have no hurry

Is this correct?  Is there a better way of saying it?

Irayo!

Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Payä Tìrol

I think the lu is unnecessary.
Tam, oe-ru ke win s<äp>i.
already means something like Ok, there is no hurry to myself.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Kì'eyawn

Kaltxì, ma Tirea Ikran.  Payä Tìrol is correct.  Lu is unnecessary; win säpi is already a verb.

That said, Payä Tìrol's idea is not quite right, either, because you would not use both the reflexive infix <äp> and the dative case.  Also, i'm pretty sure the ke has to come right before the "real" verb—the si.  But i may be wrong.

Also, i would repeat what has become the mantra of the Na'vi forums:  Translate the meaning, not the words.  "In a hurry" is an idiomatic English expression.  So, to get at the idea of "I'm not in a hurry," i would probably say

Win ke säperi oe, lu oeru krr atxan.  But everyone has their own way of doing things.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Kä'eng

Quote from: tigermind on July 11, 2010, 11:23:14 PM
Also, i'm pretty sure the ke has to come right before the "real" verb—the si.  But i may be wrong.
That is how rä'ä works, but we've seen ke go before the whole noun+si phrase: awnga ke yemfpay si keng 'awlo (from Why is this night...)
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Kä'eng on July 11, 2010, 11:32:32 PM
Also, i'm pretty sure the ke has to come right before the "real" verb—the si.  But i may be wrong.
That is how rä'ä works, but we've seen ke go before the whole noun+si phrase: awnga ke yemfpay si keng 'awlo (from Why is this night...)

Ah, good find.  I stand corrected, then.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Payä Tìrol

Taronyu's dictionary also lists the reflexive <äp> as part of the whole verb, I'm not sure if that means it's a requirement, however.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Hawnuyu atxen

Kaltxì, ma Tirea Ikran.  Payä Tìrol is correct.  Lu is unnecessary; win säpi is already a verb.

That said, Payä Tìrol's idea is not quite right, either, because you would not use both the reflexive infix <äp> and the dative case.  Also, i'm pretty sure the ke has to come right before the "real" verb—the si.  But i may be wrong.

Also, i would repeat what has become the mantra of the Na'vi forums:  Translate the meaning, not the words.  "In a hurry" is an idiomatic English expression.  So, to get at the idea of "I'm not in a hurry," i would probably say

Win ke säperi oe, lu oeru krr atxan.  But everyone has their own way of doing things.

It's not really the <äp>+dative, it's a verb+dative... just doesn't make sense (at least to me).
I'd say that Tirea Ikran's solution was ok, just take the dative too:
Tam, oe ke win säperi. - Ok, i'm not hurrying.
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Carborundum

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on July 12, 2010, 03:54:45 AM
It's not really the <äp>+dative, it's a verb+dative... just doesn't make sense (at least to me).
There are lots of precedents for verb+dative. The direct object of a vin. takes the dative case, and so does an indirect object of a vtr.
In this case the dative is out of place though, since the subject/object of a reflexive verb never takes any kind of case.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Hawnuyu atxen

Quote from: Carborundum on July 12, 2010, 04:14:01 AM
Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on July 12, 2010, 03:54:45 AM
There are lots of precedents for verb+dative. The direct object of a vin. takes the dative case, and so does an indirect object of a vtr.
In this case the dative is out of place though, since the subject/object of a reflexive verb never takes any kind of case.

Ok, i have to admit... but as you pointed out this is not the case here... two different things, and i didn't think of one of them...
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Lisa

Kaltxì, ma Tirea Ikran.  Payä Tìrol is correct.  Lu is unnecessary; win säpi is already a verb.

Forgot that!   *sigh*

QuoteAlso, i would repeat what has become the mantra of the Na'vi forums:  Translate the meaning, not the words.  "In a hurry" is an idiomatic English expression.

Arrgh, I do this all the time, and it keeps tripping me up.   I'm so focused on the mechanics that I keep forgetting to step back.  And I think I need an idiom-ectomy... I tend to use them a lot.   Probably an idiot-ectomy wouldn't hurt either.  :)

QuoteSo, to get at the idea of "I'm not in a hurry," i would probably say

Win ke säperi oe, lu oeru krr atxan.  But everyone has their own way of doing things.

Thanks, that does seem like a better phrase.  :)

Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)